Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Perhaps you should update your avatar?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Man, you had me worried for a moment there with the new thread title! The new stuff is awesome, still hoping to get to play with these guys someday.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote::D Just kidding. It's not abandoned.

*dodges tomatoes*
:x You son-of-a-gun.

:P Had me worried for a moment, there.

:o Actually, I'd note that now, with a full set of base frames, these guys could actually get packaged as a playable faction, so that stats could get ironed out concurrently to you ironing out the rest of the images. Just a thought.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Unless of course, he would want to be a perfectionist, and have all of their animations done.
turin wrote:Perhaps you should update your avatar?
I think his first unit art is fine, I mean its got the old weapon icon for the axe, the slurbow head and other related bother parts. It's all good.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
traverser

Post by traverser »

Why don't we just replace the current mainline orcs with Zhukov's. Zhukov's artwork is much more updated :idea:
Permission to delete if stupid
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

So, vot iss ze plan naw? (I love Jägerkin)

Well now I have some base images I'll go over the stats and do a release, basically consisting of the Default Era with these guys added (WML, here I come). After release, I'll likely take a bit of a break, do some animating or something for mainline, actually earn that Art Contrib title.

Then it's a matter of playtesting and cleaning up the images within an inch of their lives. Most need an overhaul, the gobos for example. Some, like the Warrior (gawd I can't believe I posted that), need complete redesign. There are also biggerism issues, many of these guys are really stretching the envelope. Might start a new thread for the cleanup.

At some far distant point in the future I intend to get these up to mainline quality. (Mainline sprites seem to be mostly complete, so at least I am no longer aiming at a moving target.) That's when the animating begins.

Fortunately exams are nearly over (really should be revising instead of posting).
Afterwards, inbetween hangovers, I shall have free time by the shipload to do this stuff.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

turin wrote:Pretty freakin' awesome.
Master Stilgar wrote:The new stuff is awesome, still hoping to get to play with these guys someday.
Thankee muchly.
Jetryl wrote:Actually, I'd note that now, with a full set of base frames, these guys could actually get packaged as a playable faction.
Damn straight. And then some.
EP wrote:I'm warning you, I've got Marksman with this tomato, guaranteed 60% chance to hit.
Marksman? Bah, that's nothing. I sacrificed two chickens and a goat to the RNG.
turin wrote:Perhaps you should update your avatar?
Yup. I'm tossing up between the Stoic, Khan and Juggernaut.
Oreb wrote:Unless of course, he would want to be a perfectionist, and have all of their animations done.
I am a massively self-critical perfectionist-of-opportunity. Don't tempt me.
traverser wrote:Why don't we just replace the current mainline orcs with Zhukov's. Zhukov's artwork is much more updated
Permission to delete if stupid
Well yeah, rather silly. But don't delete it. It's too flattering. If my ego is ever flagging I'll come back and read that comment a few times.
Oreb wrote:I think his first unit art is fine, I mean its got the old weapon icon for the axe, the slurbow head and...
LIES! All lies! Seriously.
traverser

Post by traverser »

Please tell me, what is the thing behind the shoulder of the Vanguard, same with Khan. It seems to me that they have weapons enough. Sorry to be anoying. It looks quite useless, but is a little improvement. Without it the picture looks blank. Maybe it could look more like a flag.
Just another stupid comment. Ignore at will. Suggestion empty brain. Criticising is easy, improvement is not.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Zhukov wrote:Marksman? Bah, that's nothing. I sacrificed two chickens and a goat to the RNG.
I should start developng a whole set of rituals about this RNG thing.

Also, does anyones notice that the top links suddenly got huge, or is it just my comp being silly?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

traverser wrote:Please tell me, what is the thing behind the shoulder of the Vanguard, same with Khan. It seems to me that they have weapons enough. Sorry to be anoying. It looks quite useless, but is a little improvement. Without it the picture looks blank. Maybe it could look more like a flag.
Just another stupid comment. Ignore at will. Suggestion empty brain. Criticising is easy, improvement is not.
Please don't be so self-effacing. It's really not neccesary.

To answer your question, those things are axe-hafts. The axes are worn on their backs. The Khan has two, just because he kicks arse.
These guys both get a simple axe attack to complement their flail.
traverser

Post by traverser »

Thanks for the advice, I think I will try my hand at making a portrait.
I will try to be less self-apologetic next time.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

So, the real question is now... when are you releasing them.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Yes, and I'd like to raise a question, that I raised on the Ie forum, about whether or not, they could be included in the Late Era of the Imperial Era Series, where they'd be alongside, the Clockwork Dwarves, the High Elves, and some other name-only Factions.

The only bad thing I see about it if they do, is that the would lose the Overwhelm ability.

Well Zhukov, your thoughts?
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

First release will be a matter of IIRWIIR (best cop-out ever).
I'm writing up the first cfg files right now, literally (to hell with exam revision, this is serious!) This is the very first time I've done WML of any kind, but it's delightfully simple...so far.

As for eras, I have no idea. If someone has an era and wants these guys, they can use them. My own release will just consist of Default+Steppe Orcs so people can play them against the Loyalists, Rebels and such. This is mostly for purposes of playtesting. (Don't worry, I don't have any delusions about getting these guys in Default or anything like that.) It should be noted that these guys were, and are, 'ultimately' intended for a campaign. Of course that doesn't exclude the prospect of them getting into an MP era of some kind.

Does that answer your questions?

Oh, I should probably know this, but what is 'Overwhelm'?
traverser

Post by traverser »

'Overwhelm' means "1 : UPSET, OVERTHROW 2 a : to cover over completely : SUBMERGE b : to overcome by superior force or numbers c : to overpower in thought or feeling"- from http://www.webster.com/ In this case I think it means "amaze" or "amazing"