Portraits for Northern Rebirth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

XP, I haven't gotten to that point yet(in New Order), well I did just start it.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Xandar86: Welcome. Your art is certainly of excellent quality, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

As to the controversy of semi-nude content, I think that we as a community should avoid it, especially when it is gratuitous. I will say that as long as I'm the lead developer, I won't allow any 'official' content to contain nudity, because it makes the game unsuitable for some people who might otherwise like to play it.

I'm not going to go so far as to say we should police the campaign server unless there is much more obscene content there. So since this is a user-made campaign, I'm going to simply suggest that perhaps you would like to scale back the nudity in cart2.png to be not quite so suggestive. I think cart4.png is fine as-is.

I hope this controversy in no way mars your excellent artwork.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I agree with what Dave has said.

And folks, take a hint - discussion about what is/is not appropriate is closed.
Any more posts on that subject will be removed.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for the art, Xandar. As people said before, it is awesome. I'll try to add some of it to the campaign today.

As far as the Sisil portrait, I will defer to what Dave said. Since I was hoping that this campaign would become official someday, I won't be able to use it as it is - although it is a very good piece of art.

About the Hamel portrait, during the campaign he is free and fighting side by side with Tallin, so the chains aren't really appropriate - although everthing else about it is awesome.

Once again, thanks for the portraits. How about some colour?
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Taurus wrote:Thanks for the art, Xandar. As people said before, it is awesome. I'll try to add some of it to the campaign today.

As far as the Sisil portrait, I will defer to what Dave said. Since I was hoping that this campaign would become official someday, I won't be able to use it as it is - although it is a very good piece of art.

About the Hamel portrait, during the campaign he is free and fighting side by side with Tallin, so the chains aren't really appropriate - although everthing else about it is awesome.

Once again, thanks for the portraits. How about some colour?
I don't know if you'll be able to do that, some have said that their are going to be no more official campaigns(with the possible exception of tDH)
Sorry for the meaningless post
Xandar86

Post by Xandar86 »

I'm very happy, that my drawings have been usefulle.
I will send "free" version of Hamel for about one week with coloured "non-erotic" Sisil.
Taurus - do You wan't something more for this deadline?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

romnajin wrote:I don't know if you'll be able to do that, some have said that their are going to be no more official campaigns(with the possible exception of tDH)
I'm not sure who has said that, but it's not the plan. Most of the devs are interested in adding new campaings to the mainline, especially campaigns suited for beginners. (Wesnoth's acknowledged weakness) Time consuming changes being currently made to the trunk will make adding mainline campaigns easier in the future.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

yup, wesnoth will more than probably have more question, the big question is when...

right now the code/data structure is a little messy wrt mailine campaigns vs UMC campaigns, so we don't add new campaigns for the moment... all in due time
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Xandar86 wrote:I'm very happy, that my drawings have been usefulle.
I will send "free" version of Hamel for about one week with coloured "non-erotic" Sisil.
Taurus - do You wan't something more for this deadline?
However much you can manage is good, but it would be nice to have those portraits of Anita, Camerin and Elenia in colour too :D

Also as I have mentioned before I do have portraits for many of the other roles, but are non-original, that is they were drawn for some other purpose and adapted to my campaign. I was hoping to get those replaced (don't worry Xander, these don't have to be done by the "deadline", although the sooner the better). Here are a list in order of importance:

Tallin: The typical hero steryotype, and also the main character of this campaign. He originally starts out as a peasant but over the course of the campaign Hamel trains him up and he switches over to being a leutinent. He is young - between 20 and 30, and has all that usual hero stuff around him - brave, intelligent, good looking bla bla bla.

Rakshas: A powerfull Orcish Soverign that likes being called, "The Master". He has thrashed enough orcish Warlords into servitute that he poses as a serious threat to the entire northlands. He has a large imagination and delusions of grandour and when combined with his power, makes him a foe to be recconded with.

Malifor: A powerful ancient lich with more delusions of grandour. He weilds vast power over any creature that has died and has been resurecting the long dead defenders of Knalga to carve out an underground empire for himself.

Sister Theta - The deticated wife of Father Marcus (white mage of course). She doesen't quite fit the profile of a saintly subdued holy lady however, as she is very spirited and takes great pleasure in blowing evil creatures to peices as well as occasional theatratical displays of drama.

Stalrag: A Dwarvish Lord who is the leader of the Shinsplitters - a tribe of Dwarvish Ulfserkers (same guy from HttT, in the scenario Hostile Mountains). He has a long standing feud with the mages/liches Ro'Arthian and Ro'Sarthian (see below).

Ro'Arthian: A Great Mage that refuesed to die and reincarnated as an Ancient Lich instead. Him and Ro'Sarthian are powerfull litches that have the ability to controll gryphyons, ogres and trolls. Although him and and his brother are good at heart they have no quams about using dark and evil means to acheive their ends.

Ro'Sarthian: The brother and side kick of Ro'Arthian. He was an Arch Mage untill he was killed and reincarnated as a Demilich. Pretty much the same profile as his brother.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Taurus wrote:Stalrag: A Dwarvish Lord who is the leader of the Shinsplitters - a tribe of Dwarvish Ulfserkers (same guy from HttT, in the scenario Hostile Mountains). He has a long standing feud with the mages/liches Ro'Arthian and Ro'Sarthian (see below).
Because it is the same character, I'll happily put this portrait to use in HttT, wesnoth's main campaign.
scott

Post by scott »

Style... Style... Style... Style...
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

scott wrote:Style... Style... Style... Style...
:x Oh come on scott, you should know me better than that. :P
If there are discrepancies, I'll come up with a way to solve the problem.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

All the roads go to Jetryl, indeed.

Good show, Xandras.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
scott

Post by scott »

Jetryl wrote: :x Oh come on scott, you should know me better than that. :P
If there are discrepancies, I'll come up with a way to solve the problem.
You're right.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

scott wrote:Style... Style... Style... Style...
:?: :|

Am I missing something here? I have no idea what that was about...