Devling Art & Animation Input

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

I didn't get the three thumbs up thing first either.. :P
I hope I'll have time to finish them, basically I'll try and do the attacks for the 10 units that are left to begin with and ask for help in making them into an actual faction to work within the game. Once they're tested it should be alot easier to make a campaign for them.

No idea why they remind you of lemmings.. they're really not the same.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:D Very happy to see that these guys haven't been abandoned.

If you're after comment, I would say that the death anims for the nailer/spiker/stapler line need more 'in-between' frames. At present, the manner in which they (and the hammer) fall over is very abrupt.

Hmm, also the curser ranged attack is dodgy. I can't really hold that against you though, verbal abuse is a hard thing to show with images.
Perhaps an alternative could be something along the lines of what's on this emoticon thing: Image Along with their current arm-waving animation that may get the point across.
Dunno, just suggestions.

Anyway, the rest are good. My personal favorites are the Overgrown and the Blasphemists.
Good luck with the faction an' all that.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Actually, if you could post the ranged images - at least, chiefly the projectiles fired by the cursers (I don't care whether they are as part of the unit image, or as separate files, although I'd like the unit images of that animation too), I would really appreciate it.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Id like to se them fighting these blue gnomes someones doing. ^_^
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

That'd be me. :)
And yeah, that might be a weird match. I only just realized how similar my idea was to yours. Cool ideas are often repeated, so don't accuse me of stealing, because I didn't.
hey.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Thanks for the reply, the projectile is really ment to be something else for them to suit them better but it was to show they would shoot something. I hope this is what you asked for. I'll be uploading all finished files and animations soon aswell.
Attachments
ImplingPNGs.zip
This is the range attack for cursers aswell as the projectile as seperate PNG's
(260.13 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Flametrooper wrote:That'd be me. :)
And yeah, that might be a weird match. I only just realized how similar my idea was to yours. Cool ideas are often repeated, so don't accuse me of stealing, because I didn't.
Hehe don't worry, Implings and gnomes aren't that close I'm sure.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Zhukov wrote::D Very happy to see that these guys haven't been abandoned.

If you're after comment, I would say that the death anims for the nailer/spiker/stapler line need more 'in-between' frames. At present, the manner in which they (and the hammer) fall over is very abrupt.

Hmm, also the curser ranged attack is dodgy. I can't really hold that against you though, verbal abuse is a hard thing to show with images.
Perhaps an alternative could be something along the lines of what's on this emoticon thing: Image Along with their current arm-waving animation that may get the point across.
Dunno, just suggestions.

Anyway, the rest are good. My personal favorites are the Overgrown and the Blasphemists.
Good luck with the faction an' all that.
Thanks for the feedback, Yeah I realize the death animations are not up to snuff but they were made as placeholders and a test while i went along with the other attack animations which are the most important animation in wesnoth. unfortunatly the hole project was halted when I got a ton of other things on my desk to handle. Now I hope to find some time to finish a few more or find a person or persons interested in helping with animations.

Either way I hope to make a little more progress and perhaps be able to actually see them inside the game engine and test them out.

Blashpemists are one of my personal favourites just figuring out the range projectile for that whole line of units. I'm thinking it should be something in common that will be upgraded with their level. At first I had a ghostly skull in mind to have something similar to voodoo magic ;)

There are still 10 units without an attack animation for their attacks so there's a bit more to do before they're playable and I would require help with how to program the cgf files and actually get them in the game later on.

Anyways, that's where they are now after many months on ice.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thanks - I still need to make ranged animations for the saurian augur/soothsayer/oracle (who all use a "curse" attack).

I don't plan on ripping these off, per se, but I would like to derive something from these, so I really appreciate it. (Especially a "splash" effect at the end is something zookeeper and I are working on migrating most of our magic-using units to. Looking at your splash effect is really the #1 reason I wanted these.)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Jetryl wrote:Actually, if you could post the ranged images - at least, chiefly the projectiles fired by the cursers (I don't care whether they are as part of the unit image, or as separate files, although I'd like the unit images of that animation too), I would really appreciate it.
Do they have projectiles? I always figured the animation was of them 'cussing' and the target would just hear it and be affected, as opposed to there being an actual missile.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

irrevenant wrote:Do they have projectiles?
He's talking about the green things. The hammer shaped thing and the skull-and-crossbones.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Yeah there's no real useful graphic for a curse attack right now so that's why I thought to create one. I hadn't put alot of time into them but liked the splash effect aswell.. Hope it can help you create something nice and I'll see if I can fix something suitable for the cursers in the meantime even if I might end up using the one being made.

The implings are men to use excessive gesturing and ways to disturb their enemy in order to take advantage of that. It's also why the name was first "Devlings" as in little devils which would be what the first people in wesnoth to come across them would call them.

It's still undecided wether I will go with Implings or Devlings. The poll show 50-50 and I think they're both just as suitable.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

irrevenant wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Actually, if you could post the ranged images - at least, chiefly the projectiles fired by the cursers (I don't care whether they are as part of the unit image, or as separate files, although I'd like the unit images of that animation too), I would really appreciate it.
Do they have projectiles? I always figured the animation was of them 'cussing' and the target would just hear it and be affected, as opposed to there being an actual missile.
The best way to show in which direction and who they attack since they do not have animations turning them to all sides would be a projectile and I don't really mind it aslong as it is something suitable. The name cursers would also be something they are called by others. The Devlings/Implings don't actually call themselves specific names. Cursers would be a unit using taunts to get the enemy to lower it's guard and then strike with their magic attack to get an element of suprise.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Curser: Your Ugly and your Family Hates you!
Spearman: Its not True! Wahhh!
Curser: Now to whack you with my Staff. Hah!
Spearman: Noooo... Arggh!

:P
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

dreampilot wrote:It's still undecided wether I will go with Implings or Devlings. The poll show 50-50 and I think they're both just as suitable.
I still like Devlings more. Of course, I'd find it hard to fight these guys cuz they're so cute. 8)