Devling Art & Animation Input

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Did a new quick test for the cursers. The hammers were a bit off and I tried with a skull instead, color and quality might need some work aswell as the "trailing" it leaves in it's path.

Anyways. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
cursedrangeskull.gif
cursedrangeskull.gif (35.45 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Oreb wrote:Curser: Your Ugly and your Family Hates you!
Spearman: Its not True! Wahhh!
Curser: Now to whack you with my Staff. Hah!
Spearman: Noooo... Arggh!

:P
Curser: {stomp stomp, abhorrent gesture}
Spearman: Why you little..
Cursers: {wave wave, voodoo magic}
Spearman: Aiiiee!
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

that animation is simply AMAZING
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Yeah okay, that skull thing is just way too damn good.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

That is a seriously good animation. That looks more like a wail animation though in some cases, but oh well
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

dreampilot wrote:Did a new quick test for the cursers. The hammers were a bit off and I tried with a skull instead, color and quality might need some work aswell as the "trailing" it leaves in it's path.

Anyways. Let me know what you think.
I think it's awesome. Gee, can you post those frames, too?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

One little thing. The curser on the left is confusing me. Is that a club he's waving around? Or is it is tail? If the former, why doesn't his arm move with it? If the latter, why doesn't his companion have a tail as well? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Oreb wrote:That looks more like a wail animation though in some cases, but oh well
:idea: Hey, why not? The current wail projectile isn't particularly great, and dreampilot's one fits the attack icon nicely.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Though it looks like it wouldn't make a good north-east or north-west frame, since the skull would be upside down.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:Though it looks like it wouldn't make a good north-east or north-west frame, since the skull would be upside down.
Well it would be pretty easy do make different variations of the 'curse' icon.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:Though it looks like it wouldn't make a good north-east or north-west frame, since the skull would be upside down.
That's easy to work around.

Believe me. In fact it might be possible to do so already.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

The curser unit tree is through level 0-3 so two are missing but to give a hint how I thought the range attack would work I did a test for the blasphemists aswell to show how the ghostly skull could upgrade into more powerful curse attacks.

Thanks for the feedback and it looks a ton better with a skull like i had first thought :)

I put the new attack in as PNG's aswell so you can have both. I'll upload everything else as PNG's aswell when I have time so the units actually exist on here while I try find time to finish the rest.
Attachments
DevlingPNGs.zip
(291.44 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
upgradecurserange2.gif
upgradecurserange2.gif (47.75 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
Last edited by dreampilot on September 5th, 2006, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

turin wrote:One little thing. The curser on the left is confusing me. Is that a club he's waving around? Or is it is tail? If the former, why doesn't his arm move with it? If the latter, why doesn't his companion have a tail as well? :?
He's bigger then the other one. Delings will look different from each other when put in the same frame. Since they are tiny and pixels can only show so much, the other devlings much smaller tail is not very prominent at all. If you look at the upgrade to lvl1 unit you will understand why aswell since the little one gets ontop of his larger and stronger friend.

It is his tail and not his arm and why his arm is not moving to confuse it with a "strange red club". Also during the ranged attack the smaller devling is having a more important role as oppose to the melee one where the larger is the one who runs up and physically hits the enemy.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Jetryl wrote:
That's easy to work around.

Believe me. In fact it might be possible to do so already.
Yeah that would be an easy thing to do and it would be fairly quick to make a new animation for the other directions even if becomes alot more art.
The thing about a skull like this is that odd variations doesn't really effect the impression it gives and since it is growing and changing in every frame it would still be easy to give the impression it is the same skull going in another direction. it won't matter if it looks different either since you could argue no skull they launch would look exactly alike.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Holy jibbly. You are a superb animator. I can't see anything wrong with those animations.