transparency issue (on Ubuntu only..)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Gwledig

transparency issue (on Ubuntu only..)

Post by Gwledig »

I have a new set of images, they are all 72x72 and I have used PSP7, I have removed the backgrounds and set to single layer and transparency to the bg colour (defaults to yellow in PSP after using magic wand to remove bg). The images look ok in Windows but in Ubuntu they show transparent only in interface [option] and then on the map there is no transparency and I see the yellowish bg colour added in PSP when I removed the backgrounds... I have tried over and over to get these transparencies working in Ubuntu, I have attached some examples, any ideas would be appreciated...
plane2.png
plane2.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
transport.png
transport.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
destroyer.png
destroyer.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
gnombat

Re: transparency issue (on Ubuntu only..)

Post by gnombat »

Those images are all indexed PNGs. According to the wiki:
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Creating_Unit_Art#Basic_unit_image_specifications wrote: Be aware that "Indexed color", "color map", or "PNG-8" is a different format. Although it might work in a buggy way, we strongly recommend you not use these.
There may be an option in your graphics program to save PNGs in the right format (it might be called "RGBA" or "PNG-32"). If not, you can use some other program to convert them - e.g., GIMP can do this, or you can use the command line convert tool:

Code: Select all

convert plane2.png png32:plane2_new.png
Gwledig

Re: transparency issue (on Ubuntu only..)

Post by Gwledig »

That's it seems to work on the test I just did changing the colour profile in GIMP when exporting to PNG as RGBA thanks for that

---

Another point might be unrelated but not happening on windows, but ubuntu again, is that whilst the images are now transparent some transparency seems to bleed into the image and parts (usually endges) flicker a little, any ideas? I am just seeing if I need to set back to solid colours and set these to transparent layer again......

---

Ah its doing this on ubuntu because of clipping outside the hex, I have just tested by reducing img sizes using SCALE image mod, so I need to probably reduce the sizes a bit and re-center...
Last edited by Pentarctagon on July 28th, 2019, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged multipost
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)