EarthCake's units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
EarthCake

EarthCake's units

Post by EarthCake »

Hello! I am new in making unit sprites, so I would appreciate any feedback!

Here is my first armoured spearman sprite:
spearman.png
spearman.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
I know that something is taken from mainline units, but...
Just for info, shield is original, though it looks like heavy infantryman's.
ghype

Re: EarthCake's units

Post by ghype »

Study some stance you like for the footwork. They are too short, too bulky and are not positioned well.
The shadow needs to be bigger and rounder, but not too big.
The arm is quiet short. It almost looks like there is no arm. The hand is kinda attached to the shoulder.
The shield is not that bad, but the top and bottom border (the metallic parts) need some proper shading.
Because of the shield, it looks more like a defensive stance then an idle.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The top left edge of the spear is cut off.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

josteph wrote: May 15th, 2019, 11:52 am The top left edge of the spear is cut off.
It is not, it should look like that.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Here is reworked version:
spearman.png
spearman.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
Should legs or shield be reworked?
Anything ghype suggested is reworked.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

The right thigh/knee/shin look like one solid piece of metal.

There seems to be a bit of metal around the right hip, what's that?

Also, the torso plate and right arm look odd but I can't quite put my finger on the why.
ghype

Post by ghype »

his legs armoured or not?
right now it looks like pants but it has the colour of plate armour.
if it is supposed to be armoured then u might want to take a look to HI how it has armoured legs
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

josteph wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm The right thigh/knee/shin look like one solid piece of metal.
I don't get your point.
josteph wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm There seems to be a bit of metal around the right hip, what's that?
That part should protect hips because it is a vulnerable part of the armor because it is the place where the upper part and bottom part 'meet' each other, and this spearman doesn't have a vest.
I don't know if I explained it so anyone can understand, but if anyone has a reason why this part shouldn't exist, I will gladly listen to him.
ghype wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm his legs armoured or not?
right now it looks like pants but it has the colour of plate armour.
if it is supposed to be armoured then u might want to take a look to HI how it has armoured legs
Yes, it is armor.
Actually, I looked at foot stance of HI, and tried that armor look like that one, but it didn't go very well. I will try to improve that.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

EarthCake wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:06 pm
josteph wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm The right thigh/knee/shin look like one solid piece of metal.
I don't get your point.
The wearer needs to be able to to bend and straighten their knee, at least enough to be able to walk around, but if the entire "trouser leg" of the armor suit, from hip to ankle, is one solid chunk of metal, then the wearer can't straighten their leg while wearing it. For example, look at the Royal Guard portrait, see how the forearm plate and upper arm plate are separate, to allow the elbow to bend.
EarthCake wrote: May 17th, 2019, 8:06 pm
josteph wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm There seems to be a bit of metal around the right hip, what's that?
That part should protect hips because it is a vulnerable part of the armor because it is the place where the upper part and bottom part 'meet' each other, and this spearman doesn't have a vest.
I don't know if I explained it so anyone can understand, but if anyone has a reason why this part shouldn't exist, I will gladly listen to him.
Yes, where two plates meet is a weak spot of the armor, so it's normal to have some extra reinforcement there. I don't know how if it should be removed or kept as is or changed.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I have finally decided to go back on this thread, and I hope I have now fixed these two problems. I know I should add more team color, but for now I have no idea where should I do that.
spearman-3.png
spearman-3.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

not saying this is finished but I corrected some of your shading. his left foot is still kinda wrong as in model and the shield also feels just placed on top of it. I added some shadow for the shield but I guess you have to recolour it a more familiar colour. maybe try a blue, but different blue colour palette for the blacks. also. a lot of TC for a lv1 unit

spearman-3.png
spearman-3.png (6.33 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

His grip on the shield doesn't quite look natural. I think it's because the shield is facing more to the viewer than the unit's body and face?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Thanks. I have recolored the shield, edited the right leg a bit (unit's left), and added some TC.

@ghype: do you mean unit's left leg, or viewer's left leg?

@Tom_of_Wesnoth, I don't know what you mean, do you think I should change shield's angle?
spearman-6.png
spearman-6.png (6.28 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Try to picture the guy's arm behind the shield. As it is, he'd have to be contorting his arm to quite an uncomfortable angle to bring the shield directly in front of him like that. A more natural grip would have the front of the shield facing slightly more to his left. Does that make sense?
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.