Minotaurs - Assistance with polishing?

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
eurydike

Re: Minotaurs - Assistance with polishing?

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 7th, 2018, 9:55 am i find you wonder how minotaurs could look like in a wesnoth-ish artstyle. I'd dont know the artist who did this, but they are taken from the era The Golden Age. these are high quality sprites in my opnion for a wesnoth game and fid your vision of minotaurs: oversized, muscular and wielding big weapons.
Wow those are amazing. I'm probably not going to be able to do those, even if I practice :lol:
ghype

Post by ghype »

well. could try to copy/paste the head to one of yours and then adjust the coloring pattern and shadin from this mintoaur head to the rest of body.

once you did it and you satisfied with it, you can try to recolor that colring pattern using the shame shading. you can also try to adjust the hors starting from that new head
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 7th, 2018, 10:57 am well. could try to copy/paste the head to one of yours and then adjust the coloring pattern and shadin from this mintoaur head to the rest of body.

once you did it and you satisfied with it, you can try to recolor that colring pattern using the shame shading. you can also try to adjust the hors starting from that new head
Somehow it sounds very grotesque, although I suppose it's a normal process in creating art. I'm pretty sure if one would use these images as starting point, then I don't think I could ruin them so badly that they'd end up much worse than they were in beginning! :lol:

But after looking at these for a while, they're not perfect either (who or what would be :roll:), the angle seems to be almost aerial compared to normal units, and well they don't really have any resemblance for bulls or bovine - but I'm sure the author of those amazing pictures wasn't attempting to create that impression either. It's a good sample of very refined technique and a demonstration of excellent spatial sense. The pose for base image seems very weird. Also the leg joints are the other way around. I think there's a very good texture on the units, it gives a sense of surface. Also drawing the outlines and aliasing definitely works for the image. I'm also quite amazed by the skill with which the metallic shoulderpad over the right shoulder (of the minotaur) is drawn. There's also the lightsource and shade.. So well done. I find the mane a bit, well I guess it creates an impression of roughness and such. It doesn't seem to be centered properly though.. I find the left arm also kind of out of proportion and there's something strange about the way he is holding the axe with the right hand. Definitely impressive.

Still I'll try and view this as an opportunity to learn from an artist who is much more skilled than I am.. But I am also not going to let go of my confidence in doing my stuff, even if it's clearly not on that kind of level. So I'm being a bit critical partially for those reasons too.. ^_^ :doh: :whistle:
ghype

Post by ghype »

note that I have not done these.
you listed many positive things about the sprite. you should try to adapt those exact positive things form the sprite I sent you and you should be much more satisfied with your sprite
eurydike

Post by eurydike »

ghype wrote: October 7th, 2018, 1:24 pm note that I have not done these.
you listed many positive things about the sprite. you should try to adapt those exact positive things form the sprite I sent you and you should be much more satisfied with your sprite
I did understand that you had not made the images (from the way you presented them) .. Thanks for posting the images here, I'll try and learn something from them!