Do you even sprite bruh

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
BTIsaac

Do you even sprite bruh

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, so I got this idea of making some sprites, but I have no idea how to get started. So I figured I'll just start like I usually do: Drawing stuff by hand.

The sketches I did just to see if I can are for the base sprites for the first two units in a line of 5, the Fisherman (lvl0) and the Village Magistrate (lvl1).

The Lich Emperor is based on the portrait for the Ancient Lich, which I always figured looked too unique and distinct for a base unit portrait.

I plan to make a few more of these and see if I can make them look like half-decent sprites, that actually blend in with the mainline ones. Then I'll see if I can make animation frames for them.
Attachments
fisherman.jpg
fisherman.jpg (6.79 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
The head is the same as the last one
The head is the same as the last one
Magistrate.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
This guy is supposed to be oversized
This guy is supposed to be oversized
lichemperor.jpg (17.62 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
ghype

Re: Do you even sprite bruh

Post by ghype »

are welcome to try it too?
or is it something exclusive to you?

the base for the first two sprite can be easily franken and every thing else can be edited manually.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Frankensteining would be a perfectly good starting point, and will help you get the proportions of different body parts about the same as on the mainline sprites (which are often quite uniform). Mainline sprites provide you with a pretty good library of different poses, too, that you can then draw over. Of course you might want to and have to draw some things entirely from scratch, but I think you should at the very least observe the existing outlaw sprites closely when drawing those humans.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

ghype wrote: June 26th, 2018, 4:57 pm are welcome to try it too?
or is it something exclusive to you?
If you meant to ask if you could use them, well, yeah, i guess. Although these particular sprites are intended for main characters in a campaign I'm considering (which will probably not get made any time soon).
zookeeper wrote: June 26th, 2018, 6:46 pm Frankensteining would be a perfectly good starting point, and will help you get the proportions of different body parts about the same as on the mainline sprites (which are often quite uniform). Mainline sprites provide you with a pretty good library of different poses, too, that you can then draw over. Of course you might want to and have to draw some things entirely from scratch, but I think you should at the very least observe the existing outlaw sprites closely when drawing those humans.
Actually, the two humans are traced from the ruffian sprite. As in, opened a sprite file innthe game folder, put a sheet of paper on the tablet and drew over it with a pencil. Yeah i know. How primitive. I do intend to use some existing sprites as a base obviously, but i AM more confident if i have something i drew by hand to use as a starting point.