Folk from the deep Forest - Art thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Xaius

Folk from the deep Forest - Art thread

Post by Xaius »

So I recently started working on making my own mp faction for Wesnoth which has always been something I have been seriously interested in doing. Now that I have gotten the stats of all the units fleshed out (please check it out!) I have started working on the art for the units. I am not particularly good at pixel art, but I am a decent artist overall. If anyone would be willing to help me out I would be extremely excited, even if it is just a small part! Either way, I will try to finish it on my own if no one is interested in helping. For those of you that are, head over to the multiplayer faction development thread for this faction and scroll to the bottom to find unit descriptions. Also, I am attaching the progress on the unit art I have so far so that you can see the direction I am going in, or if you are just curious what they are looking like. Besides that, feel free to say hi and let me know that you are interested in my project, it means a lot.
(I haven't started working on leafkin watcher yet but they will look quite similiar to the leafkin savage.
ghype

Re: Folk from the deep Forest - Art thread

Post by ghype »

looking forward to see your progress. looks promising so far.
Xaius

Post by Xaius »

Here's my "finished" version of the darkwood dryad. 2 down, 6 to go... and then animating them..

Also, I'm getting close on the moss golem and made some simple progress on fang crawler so here's those
ghype

Post by ghype »

i like the dryads pose alot, but i dont get whats happening at her legs, is it a tail?
also i think some outlining is missing for the dryad.

shadow missing on her and the golem too
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

These units are very charming. Will you also prepare animation? I also want to see where they are moving!
After seeing here I checked the 'Folk from the deep Forest' thread, their setting is very interesting.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
ghype

Post by ghype »

i was free to to improve the shadings on your sprite and add outlines where needed.
it now looks more crispy and less unicolor.
but i didn touched her left claw/fist and her legs because i cannot really tell what going on there or what you had in vision.

also it will be easier to help if you post your sprite at a 72x72 pixel size next time.
Attachments
darkwood dryad.png
darkwood dryad.png (4.97 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
Xaius

Post by Xaius »

ghype wrote: June 4th, 2018, 12:12 pm i was free to to improve the shadings on your sprite and add outlines where needed.
it now looks more crispy and less unicolor.
but i didn touched her left claw/fist and her legs because i cannot really tell what going on there or what you had in vision.

also it will be easier to help if you post your sprite at a 72x72 pixel size next time.
Thanks for the feedback and info ghype. The golem will still take a bit more work so I'll end up adding in the shadow at some point. As for the leg area on the dryad it's supposed to look sort of like roots coming up and twisting around her. I didn't spend all that much time on it but felt like it was alright so didn't mess with it much, I may have just gotten used to how it looked. If you play league of legends think something like Lissandra's ice but plants.
IIIO_METAL wrote: June 4th, 2018, 7:55 am These units are very charming. Will you also prepare animation? I also want to see where they are moving!
After seeing here I checked the 'Folk from the deep Forest' thread, their setting is very interesting.
Thank you for the compliments ^_^
I will try and do some animation for all of them when I am done getting the idle poses illustrated, but will probably stick to just simple attacks and a single frame move animation for most of them. I would love to go all out but it'll probably be a bit much for me currently.

I have ideas for some other factions as well if I end up deciding that I would like to repeat the entire process and make a whole mp era but it's a bit far off so I'll have to wait and see if I am willing to put in the time in the future. If this faction ends up getting popular and people offer to help see them done I would probably go for it though. (I actually did come up with the units and stats for alot of them one day that I was bored though)
Last edited by Bitron on June 5th, 2018, 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: merged double post