New on sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Alchemister

Re: New on sprites

Post by Alchemister »

Despite me being even newer (and most probably worse) in pixel art and spriting, I reckon I might try some input as well. Please, take it with multiple grains of salt though.

I like the way Odin really shows his godly majesty, being capable to stand up to anyone.

I agree that the lower part of his body seems weird, but for me, it's not the striking part. That is Grungnir (for readers not well versed in Norse mythology, his spear) - yellow with black outline just doesn't work. Try giving Grungnir a bit of texture on the spearhead and making the outline darker, but still nonblack, of similar hue the spear itself is. Also, make sure the outline is somewhat complete, the missing parts on the bottom and just below the spearhead really stand out in a bad way.

The same part with outlines also matters for other black outlines - mainly the cloak and the spear-holding hand.

Hope this helps and doesn't harm.
Escanor

Post by Escanor »

Alchemister wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:21 pm Despite me being even newer (and most probably worse) in pixel art and spriting, I reckon I might try some input as well. Please, take it with multiple grains of salt though.

I like the way Odin really shows his godly majesty, being capable to stand up to anyone.

I agree that the lower part of his body seems weird, but for me, it's not the striking part. That is Grungnir (for readers not well versed in Norse mythology, his spear) - yellow with black outline just doesn't work. Try giving Grungnir a bit of texture on the spearhead and making the outline darker, but still nonblack, of similar hue the spear itself is. Also, make sure the outline is somewhat complete, the missing parts on the bottom and just below the spearhead really stand out in a bad way.

The same part with outlines also matters for other black outlines - mainly the cloak and the spear-holding hand.

Hope this helps and doesn't harm.
Thank you for a constructive feedback! I will try to redo his spear and his legs a little bit when I have the time. atm I'm busy with my life so I don't know when I have free time for sprites.
"as a god of demons...how does it feel to be looked down upon by a human?" --Escanor
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

I think the straight lines down his right side - and to a lesser degree the left side of his cloak, though I wouldn't worry too much about that one - are kinda, well, ugly, to be blunt. His proportions are also a bit off; the head and body don't quite fit together.

For the spear, I would definitely recommend a dark, non-black outline. If you want to use selective outlining, that would probably help as well if done right. Try taking a look at the mainline spearman for reference.
And the halo around the spear (I assume that's what those lines are... If I'm wrong, please correct me) could use something more, I think. I admit I don't know much about halos, so I'm not going to say much more. Perhaps it'll look better on a different background, in which case go right ahead and ignore me.

One more thing; his thumb is on the wrong side of the spear. :whistle:

I say give it another pass and see how it looks from there. It has got a lot of potential :)
Please remember that I am not an artist, and my knowledge of spriting is very basic. And above all, have fun :eng:
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]