OGL Open Game Licence

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

OGL Open Game Licence

Post by Wussel »

I recently stumbled across the Pathfinder an D&D 3.5 story.

I realized there is tons of good art published by this OGL (License).

This leads to 2 questions for me:

1st: Are they really allowing me to use their art for non commercial work just for giving them credit as I see fit?

2nd: What would Wesnoth need to consider to decide if this art would be allowed on the add-on server for user made content?

Here are some links for those unfamiliar with the topic:

Here the pathfinder story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinde ... aying_Game

Here is a link to this art (fan group):
https://pathfinder-art.deviantart.com

And the license:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License

Company site:
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

And finally the movement!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_gaming

I would like qualified answers which specifically tackles both questions separately.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: OGL Open Game Licence

Post by Pentarctagon »

For #2, are you asking if it can currently be used on the add-ons server? Or what would need to happen to let it be allowed on the add-ons server?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

For starters: many art pieces might be considered Product Identity (PI) that might not be free to use. It is hard to tell from reading and looking what is OGL and what is PI.

The add-on server currently is asking for GPL or CC.

That is why there are 2 questions: One if they allow the use by their terms. Second if that terms might be acceptable by Wesnoth opinion leader under certain conditions. So that would be your second question I guess?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If I'm understanding you correctly, then in order to be able to use OGL licensed art on Wesnoth's add-ons server, you'd need to convince the development team that it would be a good idea to allow it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm not a lawyer and it's not my call to make, of course, but I'd stay well away from this OGL thing, and if enforcing copyright policy were expected of me, I'd remove any of the assets you are asking about if I found them on the Wesnoth add-on server. It seems pretty clear to me that this license is designed to prevent using graphics (or even creative/not-so-creative concepts).
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I could be mistaken, but it was my understanding that the OGL generally covered the text only, and not even all of that in most cases (fluff text was often omitted, but text describing mechanics is generally included). In other words, I don't believe the art is considered to be free to use in any way.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Yep, the game system is open.

The background story/names/characters not so much. The art is not clear. Paizo was publishing an art package for appropriate use in the past, but it might be removed. Many people use their art on their websites. But I agree there is no clear statement for me to be found until now.

Some art pieces are even png on transparent background. So technically they would be ready to use.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Ok guys! The community packages of Paizo are back online. 91+ Characters without background, full body at 1000 pixel. Basically png files technically ready to use.

Here is a link to their download page:
http://paizo.com/community/communityuse/package

The use is however restrict by their community guidelines. They say non commercial and give credit for sure and some other stuff too. Could somebody please check out, if that would include Wesnoth community too? I am not sure if their writing is meant for computer games at all.

http://paizo.com/community/communityuse

Assuming a campaign using it, this text would have to be included:
"This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Inc., which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Paizo Inc. For more information about Paizo's Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse. For more information about Paizo Inc. and Paizo products, please visit paizo.com."

On their forum a link to the campaign would have to be provided. All the rest sounds very self explaining (no crimes, no adults, and so on) They are insisting in their ownership and demand the right to remove or change the community use text at anytime. They do not want users to change old projects, but to apply new rules to new projects.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I don't see it stated anywhere that they are under the GPL or CC licenses, so no, they can't be used.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

OMG Please read at least the questions!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Anything that requires a disclaimer like you described cannot be used on the add-ons server. Uploading to the add-ons server requires that you have the right to place that content under either GPL or CC. You do not have the right to place Paizo's artwork under either of those licenses.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Wussel wrote: March 27th, 2018, 8:58 pm ..
This leads to 2 questions for me:

1st: Are they really allowing me to use their art for non commercial work just for giving them credit as I see fit?

2nd: What would Wesnoth need to consider to decide if this art would be allowed on the add-on server for user made content?
Thank you so much for stating the obvious again. I took the liberty to quote the questions from the first post. So much trouble to read up there. Will it help?

There is a typo in the second question which lead to some discussion in-between. Basically the second would should be could.

Hint: You could write for 2nd: IMO we would need Paizo to release under GPL or CC - period! That would be an answer to the 2nd question. I still would want one for the first.
Last edited by Wussel on April 8th, 2018, 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For #1, you should really be asking them what their license requires, not us.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

That is very true! So here is my current understanding:

Basically I would say you could use it for a campaign under the phrase "or whatever it is" by putting the disclaimer into the campaign description.

Than you could publish the campaign somewhere and link it on the paizo forum. So they would be ok. But would that be the best for Wesnoth?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

As long as you aren't uploading it to Wesnoth's add-ons server or trying to distribute it via Wesnoth's forums, you can use any content you like, really.
Wussel wrote: April 8th, 2018, 7:41 am Hint: You could write for 2nd: IMO we would need Paizo to release under GPL or CC - period! That would be an answer to the 2nd question. I still would want one for the first.
I thought that was pretty clear at this point, honestly. As has been stated multiple times in multiple places by multiple people, the only licenses allowed on the add-ons server are GPL and CC. Anything else, regardless of what their terms are, is not allowed.