Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Soranonigen

Advice for beginner?

Post by Soranonigen »

Hello...
I am absolutely new in making pixel art, but I decide to try it. Now I am working on unit from Moonday era.
I am searching for some help and good advice for begginer. Or if you know some good webs about this, I will be glad if you link :)
Thanks for answers :D
Last edited by Soranonigen on March 24th, 2018, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vulpine

Re: Advice for begginer?

Post by Vulpine »

This page has some useful links. Then there is the tutorial on pixeljoint here that takes you through some useful concepts and how to apply them.
Then there's also Frankensteining. I learned by cutting up drakes and filling in the gaps. (And lots and lots and lots of browsing the art forums... :whistle: )

I look forward to seeing some of your work! Best of luck.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Soranonigen

Re: Advice for beginner?

Post by Soranonigen »

I know these sites but thank you :)
It should be a Boarman... I have tried use him in Wesnoth, but I had problem with teamcolor.
Soranonigen

I need advice with creating my first unit

Post by Soranonigen »

Hello,
I am trying finish my first unit (Boarman) for Moonday era. I've never done any pixel image before, so this is my first try. I'm searching for good advice.
And I have little problem with coloring the weapon... So if you have some special palette for weapons I will be glad if you show me :)
Soranonigen

Problem with team color

Post by Soranonigen »

Hello,
I have problem with team color. I used a special palette from https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Team_Color_Shifting for GIMP.
This is the result:
After addition unit to game:
I don´t know where is problem. Could you advise?
Thank you for answers :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I've combined your threads. In particular, Art Contributions is for things that are going in mainline Wesnoth, not add-ons.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

For the Tc, make sure you use the right magenta values. It's simplest when you just copy the colours from mainline units. If you're using an older version of wesnoth you should put {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} in your units code.

As for the weapon colour you could use the palette of the loyalist units.
Vulpine

Re: I need advice with creating my first unit

Post by Vulpine »

Soranonigen wrote: March 25th, 2018, 11:20 am Hello,
I am trying finish my first unit (Boarman) for Moonday era. I've never done any pixel image before, so this is my first try. I'm searching for good advice.
And I have little problem with coloring the weapon... So if you have some special palette for weapons I will be glad if you show me :)
Well, better than my first try! As for advice, I can't think of anything I'm qualified to give advice on. The forehead looks a bit like a box, but that could very well be a characteristic of these creatures.

Keep it up!
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Soranonigen

Re: I need advice with creating my first unit

Post by Soranonigen »

Vulpine wrote: March 25th, 2018, 11:05 pm
Soranonigen wrote: March 25th, 2018, 11:20 am Hello,
Well, better than my first try! As for advice, I can't think of anything I'm qualified to give advice on. The forehead looks a bit like a box, but that could very well be a characteristic of these creatures.

Keep it up!
Thank you very much :)
I will do my best ;)
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

The new design is here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48227&p=628570#p628570

Also, congrats on designing DopeKiwiWarrior's mascot for the Moonday Era.