nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
nemaara
Developer

Re: nemaara's art

Post by nemaara »

Yes, the pink dots are TC. I felt like the one from shadowm was fine, but the wing style is definitely different. I'll probably reshade it a little bit, but the shape will stay the same. To me, it looks like it's definitely stronger than the level 2, though. Probably the issue is the dark highlight I used in the other level 3 sprite, which makes shadowm's wings pale in comparison.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Wussel wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:43 amJust one point: Replace the one from shadowmaster! It breaks consistency.
Who is shadowmaster again?
Screenshot_20180305_214443.png
Screenshot_20180305_214443.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 8409 times
Also, wow.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Shadowmistress?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I've made another sprite (it is a spoiler for the next Genesis release, so you may or may not want to look depending if you care). I do think the skirt looks a bit weird, so hopefully someone can help me figure out how to fix it.
Spoiler:
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Are you aware of LordBob's concepts for wrights?

You could utilize them for your different types of ghosts. They might even work for different sprites to start with.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30742&start=135#p540381

The one above is better resolution, but here you can see what I am talking (png, some filter, some transparency):

Wesnoth_wraith-study2-205-size.png
wraiths-unit-size.png
wraiths-unit-size.png (55.81 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
Using the bigger file, better results should be possible.

The original wraith (the result of these concepts) has a teal color flaming sword. This makes the art extremely useful for color shifts. Basically you could have red, green, yellow, pink, blue colored flame wraith. (The wraith is b/w with some reflection in flame color, works like a charm)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Just a bit of a status update, I completed the portraits for the red demon/demoness and I'm currently working on the blue ones. I figured I would use the same base templates with modifications for either the Apparition/Nightmare, and draw a completely new one for the Dreamwalker/Dreamweaver and line, with the former becoming gradually more chaotic and "stuff-like", and the later appearing more streamlined but weird and distorted and bent (I'm thinking along these lines: https://deckbox.org/system/images/mtg/cards/2000449.jpg).

Thing is, I can't help but feel like the descriptions for the two lines are mixed up. The description of the apparition/nightmare emphasizes the dream invading, while the description for the dreamwalker/dreamweaver emphasises their ethereal nature.

EDIT: Okay, so for a quick reference, this is what I had in mind for the Dreamwalker/Dreamweaver, while the Apparition/Nightmare would be modified versions of the above posted Blue Demon.
Attachments
The Dreamweaver would have some of those swirly rosette things added
The Dreamweaver would have some of those swirly rosette things added
Dreamwalker.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 8062 times
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIsaac wrote: March 16th, 2018, 8:59 am Thing is, I can't help but feel like the descriptions for the two lines are mixed up. The description of the apparition/nightmare emphasizes the dream invading, while the description for the dreamwalker/dreamweaver emphasises their ethereal nature.
The descriptions are something I wrote a long time ago in a haste to have a placeholder. I would disregard them for the moment. Think of it this way instead, Dreamwalkers and Dreamweavers are like puppet masters. They could, say, draw things from afar and inject them into one's dreams, or they hide in the shadows and weave images into your nightmares. Apparitions and Nightmares are a little more hands on. They appear as the nightmarish images using their own bodies; you could almost think of them like hunters, in a sense.

Funny enough, the pictures you drew for the Dreamwalkers does seem to invoke a sort of "puppet manipulating" stance, so it's quite fitting for them. I will say that you could even make their arms look a little less arm-like (yes, I know the sprites have arms, but it's to contrast with the other line's tentacles), but they do have claw-like structures for hands, so I'd recommend keeping something that hints at that in the portraits.

I'm eager to see your finished red demons when you get the chance to post them. ^_^
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

That's what i figured. On a sidenote, i completed the male blue demon / apparition / nightmare portraits. Thing is, their wings came out all weird. I tried to go for some tendril look but took a shortcut and now they look all cartoony. Might have to work with those a bit.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIsaac wrote: March 16th, 2018, 11:19 pm That's what i figured. On a sidenote, i completed the male blue demon / apparition / nightmare portraits. Thing is, their wings came out all weird. I tried to go for some tendril look but took a shortcut and now they look all cartoony. Might have to work with those a bit.
I'll leave it up to you as to whether they'll be wings or not. If you wanted to draw them as just a mass of tendrils too (and not wing-like at all) that's also fine. It's up to your interpretation. Also, in case you didn't do it already, as the apparitions and nightmares progress in power/levels, they start to lose their arms (which also turn into tendrils). So if you could make their arms less arm-like compared to the Dreamweaver line, that'd be nice. Thanks so much!
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, so I apparantly left the Dreamwalker sketch in the scanner, and couldn't work on it, but I did try and make one for the fiend line. I also wanted to make a female variant, problem is, I tried to go for a specific look, but never got it right and the result just ended up looking really derpy. I'll have to redraw that.
I admit, the first thing I thought of when reading the description was Dragonball, and that might have had an impact on the hair and the tail, but unfortunately not the stiff-to-dynamic rating. Ultimately I decided on going for more of a savage/psychotic look. Anything I need to pay particular attention to during the inking process?

On a side note, I think I managed to finish the Apparition/Nightmare portraits. As in, they look better than my other failed attempts. I ended up axing the tendril idea and settled on adding more "swirly nebulous stuff".
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Those eyes look a bit funny, and once again the arm muscles have a bit of a strange shape (as well as the demon's left hand being a bit too undefined). I was thinking you might actually given them either snake or cat-like pupils instead of rounded ones. The muscles look like the ones you had for red demons. It's okay if you want to keep it like that, but the lack of defined musculature looks a bit strange when compared to the rest of the torso. The rest looks good, I'd imagine that I could actually just use this portrait for all 3 levels of fiends. :lol:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

The left hand is like that because it's supposed to be on fire. No point in defining it.
The pupil is in fact slit, it's just not immediately visible, and having shrunken pupils is something I've seen going hand in hand with that slasher grin i was going for. Not sure about what you mean by funny eyes. Are they too large? Is the inner corner too low? Maybe the line for the lower lid too thick? Maybe the lines past the outer corner makes the eye look even bigger than it actually is?
Okay, so anyway. Arm muscle. Needs fixing.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I was mostly referring to the pupils. It seems like our ideas were completely opposite - my thought was that they would have dilated pupils, like cats do when they see prey, but shrunken ones could work as well. It's up to you whichever way you want it.

Wasn't entirely sure if you wanted to include fire in the portrait, but it's perfectly fine to do so if you like. In that case the lack of a defined hand is fine.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, so I finished a bunch of stuff for today. First off, here's the redone female variant for the fiend. Still looks better than the first attempt.

As for the ones that are done...
Spoiler:
So... How bad is it?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

It is great! You got nice colors!

There might be an issue with cutting of things? Even light effects should not be cut at the top and left rim.

I would consider a 1,5 pixel black (outer) outline. Not the light effects just the body. But outlines are not popular in game design anymore.

There is something with the upper arm. It looks ok for demons to me. You might want to check some anatomy things/resources for this biceps, deltoid, triceps region, if you are drawing people in the future.