nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
nemaara
Developer

nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Post by nemaara »

Hi everyone, I was planning to release some new demon sprites for my campaign (Genesis) in an upcoming update. The fire demon line looks a little odd to me though, so I'm posting it here to see if anyone can offer some critique/help on fixing the sprites. Or if they're okay, maybe they can be released as is, I don't know. :whistle:

(Of course all the released sprites will be up for grabs if anyone wants them, but they're licensed under CC BY-NC-SA. Also, everything I draw in this thread should be considered to be under CC BY-NC-SA, and these will be mostly sprites. Please kindly use this license if you decide to use my sprites. Thanks!)
Attachments
red_demon_line.png
red_demon_line.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 9196 times
Last edited by nemaara on April 21st, 2018, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elder2

Re: nemaara's art

Post by Elder2 »

My first impression is that they look like humanoid cats. They seem to have fur and tails.
adramolokh

Post by adramolokh »

I don't see anything wrong with the red demon, though it seems to be the only male sprite of the three. The fire demon seems to have tiny hands: the left hand of the red demon is completely invisible, and the right hand has partially merged with the demon's ball of flame. Something seems somewhat off about the inferno demon's hands -- the fist doesn't have that much structure? It's not that big of a problem though, given that the fists are completely covered in flame. There's also something strange about the inferno demon's perspective, though I can't figure out what.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I suspect the two upper levels would look better with less of a line separating their right shoulder from the torso.

For the fire, maybe you could leave that as a separate image, then overlay it in the animation WML? That way you could animate the flames and update the sprite in the future, without having to deal with it all at once.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

doofus-01 wrote:I suspect the two upper levels would look better with less of a line separating their right shoulder from the torso.

For the fire, maybe you could leave that as a separate image, then overlay it in the animation WML? That way you could animate the flames and update the sprite in the future, without having to deal with it all at once.
Just to be clear, are you referring to the demon's right shoulder, or the shoulder on the right from our perspective?

Unfortunately the fire is infused into the image, but it's not really too much work to deal with that in the future. Unfortunately this is the first time I've drawn sprites in years, so I've got to get better at drawing base frames before thinking about animations. :s

(By the way, I just drew another few maps using the Archaic Resources pack; your terrains are sooooo good. :lol:)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi nemaara,
nemaara wrote:ust to be clear, are you referring to the demon's right shoulder, or the shoulder on the right from our perspective?
Stage-right/house-left. The shoulder on our left. Looking at it a little closer, I see the level 3(?) has some sort of pouldron? Actually, the level 3 is a bit confusing, I think you may be trying to include too many details. Do you have a concept sketch?
nemaara wrote:Unfortunately the fire is infused into the image, but it's not really too much work to deal with that in the future. Unfortunately this is the first time I've drawn sprites in years, so I've got to get better at drawing base frames before thinking about animations. :s
I have some utilities in Archaic Era that allow for torch flames (the Ukians and the Orcs use it). I'm not sure if it's mainline quality at the moment, but maybe it can be a thing for BfW 1.15/1.16. :hmm: Then no one has to re-invent the wheel.
nemaara wrote:(By the way, I just drew another few maps using the Archaic Resources pack; your terrains are sooooo good. :lol:)
Thanks. :D
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

doofus-01 wrote:Stage-right/house-left. The shoulder on our left. Looking at it a little closer, I see the level 3(?) has some sort of pouldron? Actually, the level 3 is a bit confusing, I think you may be trying to include too many details. Do you have a concept sketch?
Unfortunately I don't have a concept sketch. I'm also a bit reluctant to part with my shiny pauldron, but I think I sketched it in a way that might work now. See below.
Attachments
inferno-female.png
inferno-female.png (2 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I've (sort of) completed part of a line of "black demons". However, the tier 2 sprite also somehow doesn't look quite right to me. Suggestions for improvement would be appreciated. ^_^

(removed image)
Last edited by nemaara on March 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The level 2 looks a bit odd to me, since it gives the impression that the wings were replaced by a cloak.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I've updated the tier 2 black demon sprite to have normal wings, see below. Additional suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Attachments
voidreaver.png
voidreaver.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It looks a little clean/smooth compared to the other two. Maybe the wings could have more jagged outer edges? Rotating the wings down a little, so they are more horizontal, might help distinguish lvl2 from lvl 3 more easily for the player, but it may not be necessary.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

They are clearly distinguished. Very nice. This will help gameplay a lot. Different types and levels are easy to read like that.

The old level2 in question was fine to me. The new one could be a different level2, but looks to much like an Angel for me.

Cat look is fine fore me. The cat demon looks a bit like rat demon or insect demon to me. But that is totally fine for me.

Are we getting portraits for the main cast too?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Wussel wrote: February 25th, 2018, 8:31 pm They are clearly distinguished. Very nice. This will help gameplay a lot. Different types and levels are easy to read like that.

The old level2 in question was fine to me. The new one could be a different level2, but looks to much like an Angel for me.

Cat look is fine fore me. The cat demon looks a bit like rat demon or insect demon to me. But that is totally fine for me.

Are we getting portraits for the main cast too?
Well the wings look more demon-like now, so maybe it is fine. Like I said, I can't draw portraits, and I'm quite picky about them, so until I get the money to commission some good ones, we're stuck without them. :(

Anyway, I've finished the black demon line, which can be found below. This marks the completion of warrior, blue, red, and black demon lines, so that leaves just a few more for berserker demons and the rest of the winged ones (and bosses...).

(removed image, rip my cute little black demons)
Last edited by nemaara on March 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Maybe somebody could help with portraits?

I am assuming the 3 ladies would be a good starting point.
Basically they should look like the sprites if I am guessing?

As placeholder you could just scale up the sprite to 400x400.
That would be brutal, but effective.

Oh, the last demon with scythe: Maybe the scythe should be shiny. I was mistaking it for some part of the wing, because the color was like the horns at the head.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I could get to that as soon as I'm done with my current ones