nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
BTIsaac

Re: nemaara's art

Post by BTIsaac » March 23rd, 2018, 4:54 pm

Yes, i know there's a problem with the bicep. There was a line there and i accidentally shaded it. I recall trying to fix it but apparently it wasn't enough.

It's not that outlines aren't popular. They simply don't look good with the techniques I'm using. There's a tutorial on this forum that uses lines (the same artist did the elf portraits i think), but it's a completely different method from mine. And it's not so much about having an outline. It's actually much more sophisticated.

Wussel

Post by Wussel » March 23rd, 2018, 6:22 pm

I am not talking about Kitties Tutorial to draw like Kitty. I really just talk about a line to make the art more pop out of the surrounding. If you do not mind, I could show you an example.

It is more like a 2,5 pixel outline:
Spoiler:
You could test it in game and check which version works better. Blacklines go under light effects! I Reduced the light effect to 60% in the 2nd example. Again I would advice an in game test.

PS: I like the ones you call derpy. Can't wait to see what will be left of it after coloring.

BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac » March 23rd, 2018, 7:30 pm

We should discuss this in the relevant thread. I mainly linked them here for nemaara.

BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac » April 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Uh, nemaara? Quick question if you're reading this. I don't remember which of the ten symbols, belongs to Uriah. The banners in the editor look like it's the yellow sun, but I'm not sure.
On a sidenote, I'm asking because i figured I'd put some tattoos or ritual scarring on the higher level fiends. Is that a good idea? I intend to give them bloody streaks in the hair, bigger flames and an axe to actually make them look higher level, but i figured the former would add to the whole savage barbarian motif.

shadowm
Site Administrator

Post by shadowm » April 19th, 2018, 12:40 am

BTIsaac wrote:
April 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm
Uh, nemaara? Quick question if you're reading this. I don't remember which of the ten symbols, belongs to Uriah. The banners in the editor look like it's the yellow sun, but I'm not sure.
I didn’t know nemaara was using the banners from IftU and AtS. Those feature a sigil unique to Uria II which shouldn’t be used in Genesis:
Screenshot_20180418_213627.png
Screenshot_20180418_213627.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 393 times

The correct sigil for Uria I is the eye-looking one at 1 o’clock featuring the same colour. The sigils in clockwise order are Life, Water, Thunder, Earth, Fire, Darkness, Light, Air, Ice, Existence.
original-ten.png
original-ten.png (70.14 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Elsewhere: shadowmBlogFollow me on Twitter

BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac » April 19th, 2018, 6:25 am

No, the banners were for IftU and AtS. Also, thanks for the clarification.

nemaara

Post by nemaara » April 21st, 2018, 6:43 pm

Forgot to mention in the announcement for the newest version of Genesis, I updated the boss sprites in the newest version. As always, critique is welcomed.
Spoiler:

BTIsaac

Re: nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Post by BTIsaac » April 21st, 2018, 9:32 pm

Well bummer. And i already had an awesome idea based on the old sprite. I wonder if it will still work.

BTIsaac

Re: nemaara's art (and other art for Genesis)

Post by BTIsaac » May 4th, 2018, 10:15 am

Just a heads up. (I think) I completed the portraits for the Fiend and Dreamwalker lines. I figured the Berserker and Helion could use the same portrait. I also decided to incorporate the black water from the dream sequences into the Dreamwalker portraits. I know it might not look all that good, but I'm terrible at drawing water in Photoshop.

I'm nowhere near as confident with these as I was with the previous batch so input is appreciated.
Spoiler: