Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: BT attempts portraiting

Post by Ravana »

I like the color style of sword dancer images, but it seems that sword goes through neck there.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Ravana wrote: November 13th, 2018, 3:56 pm I like the color style of sword dancer images, but it seems that sword goes through neck there.
Yeah, that's probably because of the lower hair layer behind the left shoulder. I'll be posting a fix eventually.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I think the sword dancer and bladestorm are okay (perhaps make the lines around the mouth a little less pronounced?), and although the sword does look a bit weird through the hair like that, I don't personally feel like it's that big of a problem. I think I'll just put them in as is, if that's fine. ^_^

For the faeries, the shapes (especially the faces) could use a little work. The torso (chest and shoulders(?)/upper arms/biceps(?), something around there) of the nymph and shaman look a little odd to me, might be more due to shading than shape. Same with the chin, it's a little too pointed to be realistic to me. The wings and hair look great, though. I won't comment more on the shading since you've already said that they're incomplete, but for these I might wait until you have more complete versions. :hmm:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

nemaara wrote: November 14th, 2018, 7:57 am For the faeries, the shapes (especially the faces) could use a little work. The torso (chest and shoulders(?)/upper arms/biceps(?), something around there) of the nymph and shaman look a little odd to me, might be more due to shading than shape. Same with the chin, it's a little too pointed to be realistic to me. The wings and hair look great, though. I won't comment more on the shading since you've already said that they're incomplete, but for these I might wait until you have more complete versions. :hmm:
Actually i WOULD appreciate some input on how they could be completed. It's not so much that these are incomplete, rather i was in a hurry to post them. I did work more on the face of the sprite, fixing the upper lip, adding eyebrows and fixing the misaligned chin, but it will take some time to post it.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

So for all of the faerie portraits, I feel like the nose shape is rather strange. It's the part between the eyebrows that's a little too pronounced in all 4, I think. The facial expression in the sprite/faerie is also rather strange, perhaps it's the parted lips, and the lack of eyebrows that's doing it. The chin also is too recessed, I think. In the forest nymph/shaman, the chin is a little too pointed for me (but the facial expression in those is just fine).

For the sprite/fire faerie portraits, she look like she's craning her head pretty far, it would maybe be nice to either reduce the neck length or move her head back a little bit. Maybe the arteries on the neck can also be a little less pronounced, this also goes for the shaman/nymph. For the shaman/nymph, the arms are a little bulgy (might be due to shading), and I'm pretty sure the shading is making the chest look really weird. Maybe going for something more similar to the sprite's shading (around the torso) would be better. :hmm:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

nemaara wrote: November 14th, 2018, 5:48 pmThe facial expression in the sprite/faerie is also rather strange, perhaps it's the parted lips, and the lack of eyebrows that's doing it. The chin also is too recessed, I think.
Yes, i did notice the chin while i was fixing the rest of the face. I believe it looks good now, but you'd have to take a look, just in case.
For the sprite/fire faerie portraits, she look like she's craning her head pretty far, it would maybe be nice to either reduce the neck length or move her head back a little bit.
I have no idea why i didn't notice that. :doh:
For the shaman/nymph, the arms are a little bulgy (might be due to shading), and I'm pretty sure the shading is making the chest look really weird. Maybe going for something more similar to the sprite's shading (around the torso) would be better.
I believe the fact that the highlights on the arm form a uniform stripe that just runs along and follows her chest's outline is the problem here. That area did cause me significant difficulties. I'm going to have to look up references for this one. :hmm:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

And I'm here again.
Still haven't done much work these past few month. I spent all of December with a broken wrist and never really tried to get back into shape, so I'm out of practice. I have been working on a couple of character portraits for a personal project and they look rather embarrassing, but I'll post them anyway.
Attachments
Portrait for the Fisherman sprite I tried making
Portrait for the Fisherman sprite I tried making
Kaiden lt.jpg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
I don't wish to take credit for this, but I must
I don't wish to take credit for this, but I must
Bernadette lt.jpg (9.77 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
This was inked yesterday. MAYBE it's better than the others?
This was inked yesterday. MAYBE it's better than the others?
Alaric lt.jpg (10.71 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
Resemblance to living e-celebs is entirely coincidental (probably)
Resemblance to living e-celebs is entirely coincidental (probably)
Mizenwyn lt.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

On a more cheerful note, I finally managed to get myself to draw some more demons. This is an attempt at the male and female variants of the Voidreaver/Voidwatcher, from Genesis. I may have taken some inspiration from a character in Magic the Gathering (wouldn't be the first time) when designing them.
Attachments
Voidreaver lt.jpg
Last edited by BTIsaac on March 22nd, 2019, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Nice portraits, but now the fun begins with coloration. I've just read a comic, where drawing and illustration / coloration was done by two different persons ^^. This can be challenging.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Heindal wrote: March 17th, 2019, 9:41 am Nice portraits, but now the fun begins with coloration. I've just read a comic, where drawing and illustration / coloration was done by two different persons ^^. This can be challenging.
I have been doing this for a long time actually.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I know, but these a scribbles so you will have to do this for you portraits as well, and I know how much work that is. I've been working with scribbles like that and I know that they are just the first step.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Heindal wrote: March 17th, 2019, 5:45 pm I know, but these a scribbles so you will have to do this for you portraits as well, and I know how much work that is. I've been working with scribbles like that and I know that they are just the first step.
The scribbles are mostly a security blanket for me and have been for a long time. For better or for worse, by the time the portraits are finished, they'll be more or less reduced to a few dim lines here and there. I mainly make them because I trust my hand with a pencil and pen more than I trust it with a mouse. And I'm not going to go out of my way to buy schmancy newfangled digital drawing equipment.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I'd like to upload the stuff I've been working of for months (not much) so I can finally move on. I'll post these voidhunter sketches now, and the rest of the last batch later.
Attachments
voidhunter f lt.jpg
voidhunter f lt.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
voidhunter lt.jpg
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

So first off, I made some adjustments to the four fairy portraits a little while ago. Hopefully they look better now than they did the first time. I'm leaving those up for a bit for comparison's sake.
Attachments
Sprite.png
Sprite.png (167.2 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Fire Fairy.png
Fire Fairy.png (191.8 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Fairy Shaman.png
Fairy Shaman.png (218.56 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Forest Nymph.png
Forest Nymph.png (242.71 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

And here's the male Sword Dancer, which quite honestly I should've posted way back in January. For the past few months, my progress looked like me turning on the computer twice a week, making minor adjustments in less than 30 minutes and turning the computer off. Really slow way to get anything done.
Attachments
Sword Dancer.png
Sword Dancer.png (181.61 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Bladestorm.png
Bladestorm.png (177.68 KiB) Viewed 4774 times