BT attempts portraiting

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
BTIsaac

Re: BT attempts portraiting

Post by BTIsaac »

GunChleoc wrote: August 26th, 2018, 5:23 pmI think everything above the waist looks great - the lower part doesn't fit the upper part. Must be a perspective thing or something. Also, the rear of the thigh looks weird. The lines of the arm could also be a bit less straight.
I think you're talking about the right lower leg and it's angle - it's in side view as opposed to the rest of the body. Yeah, it does look dislocated, now that i think of it. The rear of the thigh a bit of an inking blunder. It will look better when i actually get to work on it.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Aside from what was already mentioned, I guess I'd say that the first one's face looks a little strange (looks almost childlike, but another thing is that the nose is a bit strange to me, maybe too high and mouth maybe too low). The curve of her cheek may have something to do with it as well.

In the second one, the arms are a bit bulgy, almost like she has enormously huge muscles. Looks kind of strange to me. :lol:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

nemaara wrote: September 4th, 2018, 4:31 pm Aside from what was already mentioned, I guess I'd say that the first one's face looks a little strange (looks almost childlike, but another thing is that the nose is a bit strange to me, maybe too high and mouth maybe too low). The curve of her cheek may have something to do with it as well.
Well if the face looks childlike, then at least that worked. Yeah... it's kinda sorta intentional. Not sure about the other parts. :hmm:
In the second one, the arms are a bit bulgy, almost like she has enormously huge muscles. Looks kind of strange to me. :lol:
Oh god, those shoulders. Why didn't i notice that before?

Anyway, i intend to post two more demon sketches this week, and maybe something else. The black demons are done, though i might try to make a few adjustments to them. I eventually decided to put holes where the faces are and black smoke with a faint glow coming out of what's supposed to look like an empty skull. Hopefully it looks good.

I also ended up finishing the first Demon Lord portrait (good variant). The evil variant is still in progress. I want to make an upload this week if possible.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, I was hoping to post these a bit sooner, and maybe have something else up before I make the file transfer, but things ended up dragging out, and the four sketches I have now do eventually translate to eight portraits, anyway. Plus I really feel like I should post the portraits I finished recently. It has been a long time.

These two sketches are for the Demon/Demoness Sword Dancer as well as the Bladestorm. Seeing how these are upgraded from the base demon unit, I wanted to make them look as much like the originals as possible, and put a bit more effort into making them look realistic and detailed. Not sure how much of that will be retained by the time the coloring is done.

Anyway, finished portraits are coming up soon. Hopefully.
Attachments
So I just noticed drawing lips makes a character more masculine. Weird.
So I just noticed drawing lips makes a character more masculine. Weird.
Sword dancer lt.jpg (21.26 KiB) Viewed 7150 times
I usually desaturate the sketch but the blue lines are a correction and I need them to stand out.
I usually desaturate the sketch but the blue lines are a correction and I need them to stand out.
Sword dancer f lt.jpg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 7150 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

And here we go. The Forest Spirit and Demon Lord portraits. As I've said earlier, I tried to experiment with a new coloring technique, and I believe it's a major improvement compared to my earlier stuff. It did hit me with the realization that I've been doing photoshop wrong all these years though. :doh:

On a side note, If there's something wrong with the Forest Spirit portrait, it's partly because it doesn't seem to resize well. For the sake of comparison, here's an uncropped full res image.
Spoiler:
Attachments
Forest Spirit.png
Forest Spirit.png (382.11 KiB) Viewed 7149 times
Demon Lord.png
Demon Lord.png (203.21 KiB) Viewed 7149 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Three additional demon portraits, including the Black Demon/Demoness and an alternate Demon Lord portrait for story dialogue involving hostile Demon Lords.
Attachments
Black Demon.png
Black Demon.png (337.28 KiB) Viewed 7146 times
Black Demoness.png
Black Demoness.png (290.39 KiB) Viewed 7146 times
Demon Lord 2.png
Demon Lord 2.png (189.96 KiB) Viewed 7146 times
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

Wow, the latest batch is a huge improvement, can't wait to see them in game! Forest Spirit in particular is beautiful and the body and hair textures in general look much better than before :D
Non-artist critique: I also notice the lighting in magic effects that wasn't really utilized before but I think it's a bit overdone in some places (on both Demon Lords, bottom left patch of white in Black Demoness portrait and the flame in her hand). It gives off the impression that someone took an eraser and erased some patches of the portrait here and there. For magic effects only, maybe try lowering the glare in the new style or mix up this new magic style with the old one.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

There's actually not much difference with how i do magic, except maybe lightning, which I've never really done before. I can see why the glare is an issue, but it only gives the eraser impression when against a super bright background like in the forum. If i open the images in a separate tab in chrome on my tablet, it's loaded against a black background and it looks less bad.
Mik3art

Post by Mik3art »

demon coloreze and sprite of btIsaac demon Image
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

:|
Well that came out of nowhere. (Althought the coloring does look better than my old style and closer to how I'd do it now :hmm: - if we disregard the gif compression)
But aren't we getting a bit ahead of things?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I don't have access to my usual computer I work on for Genesis, but I'll put your portraits in as soon as I fix that one (might take a little while...). Thanks for drawing them though!

I do think the coloration looks better now, and your interpretation of the faceless black demons is pretty interesting. The forest spirit also looks pretty good, although maybe for the other faerie, the lines around the mouth wouldn't be so heavy? :hmm:

Anyway, thanks again for drawing these for me. ^_^
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Ugh don't even remind me of the "lines around the mouth". That's what i meant when i said it didn't resize well. I don't think the full image looks bad - aside from me overdoing the contrast - but resizing apparently doesn't look too good when the picture is too detailed.

Anyway, I'm working on the new batch of portraits. If you're having technical problems anyway I might take a break and make some of my own stuff once they're done.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

So, my computer (the one with photoshop on) started having what i can only assume to be overheating problems. It's still working, but i have a bad feeling it could die on me one day. As a precaution and to avoid losing progress, i might end up posting portraits in the last batch sooner. Also, I'd like to make that Lich Emperor sprite before Spooktober ends.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I want to make an upload now, even though there are still pictures missing. This is the female variant of the Sword Dancer/ Bladestorm that took me a lot longer than it should have. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of problems with them though.
Attachments
Sword Dancer F.png
Sword Dancer F.png (167.6 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
flames don't work like that
flames don't work like that
Bladestorm F.png (154.69 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

So here are the Sprite/ Fire Fairy and Fairy Shaman/ Forest Nymph portraits and I'll be honest, I'm not satisfied with the faces, especially the Sprite. that face caused me a whole lot of pain, and I might have to remake it completely if I can't fix what's wrong with it. It looks better when zoomed in, but the eyebrows appear to be missing completely, and there's something not quite right with the upper lip. Tha shading on the Shaman's eyelids is also unfinished. Most of these problems are due to sloppy work, and me wanting to be done with it before my computer dies - I figured I could do some polishing later, but I wanted these posted just in case something goes wrong. Working on these is a lot more stressful if you feel like your motherboard could catch fire at any moment.
Attachments
Sprite.png
Sprite.png (224.55 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Fire Fairy.png
Fire Fairy.png (257.5 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Fairy Shaman.png
Fairy Shaman.png (278.81 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Forest Nymph.png
Forest Nymph.png (308.56 KiB) Viewed 6076 times