Stock art use for Wesnoth

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Stock art use for Wesnoth

Post by Wussel »

I found this stock art by roy3d and found it extremely interesting for terrain embellishments. Since he wrote it is free to use if given credit, I asked for the use for this purpose and he gave permission to do so. I mentioned GPL and CC, too. So can we use it?

https://roy3d.deviantart.com/gallery/51778593/STOCK
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Stock art use for Wesnoth

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't see anything that would be mainline, so I've moved this to Art Workshop.
Wussel wrote:Since he wrote it is free to use if given credit, I asked for the use for this purpose and he gave permission to do so. I mentioned GPL and CC, too. So can we use it?
I don't know what you mean by "mentioned", so it's difficult to say.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

doofus-01 wrote:I don't see anything that would be mainline, so I've moved this to Art Workshop.
Wussel wrote:Since he wrote it is free to use if given credit, I asked for the use for this purpose and he gave permission to do so. I mentioned GPL and CC, too. So can we use it?
I don't know what you mean by "mentioned", so it's difficult to say.

I wrote:

".. There are a few things to know: They want art published by GPL or CC License.

It seems to be non commercial and give credit, as you are asking. .."

Well you might be right that UMC would benefit most. I got some magic mushrooms, big trees, big rocks, fantasy shapes, magic hut, magic castle, coffin, towers etc out of it. Of course the lack of wesometric perspective requires some distortions. But the resolution is good for that.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Wussel wrote:I wrote:

".. There are a few things to know: They want art published by GPL or CC License.

It seems to be non commercial and give credit, as you are asking. .."
Just having some GPL or CC license doesn't mean non-commercial or give credit. CC BY-NC is apparently an allowed option, but it isn't a given (and personally, I don't think it should be permitted here, but it's not my call). EDIT: I should also point out that mainline is not NC.

I suppose this could be a resource, but anyone who uses it needs to be careful. That artist seems to have opinions on this matter.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Kingreaper

Post by Kingreaper »

The artist has stated they're okay with commercial use, and they don't have any problem with derivatives - they've purely asserted moral rights (which are unwaivable in a number of jurisdictions anyway) not copyrights, - but it would be good to get an explicit license rather than a vague set of permissions.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Well he said it would be ok to use it. I am guessing that is a permission?

So basically he is asking to be credited. There are artists who do not explicit tack there art with licenses.

Could you say: by giving permission to use here, he indirectly permits every derivate of his art, which is posted here, to be licensed according to Wesnothian standards?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wussel wrote:Well he said it would be ok to use it. I am guessing that is a permission?

So basically he is asking to be credited. There are artists who do not explicit tack there art with licenses.

Could you say: by giving permission to use here, he indirectly permits every derivate of his art, which is posted here, to be licensed according to Wesnothian standards?
When uploading something to the add-ons server, you do have to specify which CC license to use, or allow it to default to the GPL. From what you've said so far at least, it sounds like the CC BY-SA would be the best fit since he wants to be credited and derivatives are fine, but you should definitely ask him about if he's okay with his art being used under that license specifically. That way there's no ambiguity involved at all.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

But that is what I did? He said: go ahead.

So am I supposed to choose a license for him? I do understand, that stuff being posted would be considered implicating GPL. So basically he should get on the credit list, if anybody is using his art or art derivates.

What else is needed?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

My point really is just that when you said before:
that sounds like there's some ambiguity regarding what his statement means, and with copyright the less ambiguity there is the better.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

The point is not to figure out what is better, but to find out what is enough.

Lets face it the world is not lining up for a spot to beg Wesnoth to use its art.

So a clear statement which is according to the requirements does not work for you?

Is this your personal opinion or is that something in line with the Wesnothian super guru ?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Wussel wrote:Is this your personal opinion or is that something in line with the Wesnothian super guru ?
The latter. Pentarctagon is only seeking to establish that the artist is agreeing to the specific license that is being chosen.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

The problem is that legally speaking, the statement is not clear. The artist has to explicitly pick a license, and you can't just pick it on his behalf unless he gives you a power of attorney on it. Lawyers are funny that way.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I disagree. The art is stock art.

If I make something using it (cut/paste/resize/distort/recolor/shades/lights) than I would be the artist using his stuff according to his permission and giving him credit according to his requirements.

By posting here I would agree to what ever Wesnoth wrote in its disclaimer for posted art.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Perhaps it would be simpler for you to post the entire conversation you had with him? From his deviantart, all I see is this, which doesn't seem very specific unless there's more meaning to that than I'm seeing.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Did anybody of you guys read this announcement by any chance? If you did, please re-read it and contemplate on the meaning of it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46093

Since you are asking, I wrote:
"I really like your work! Just downloading a few files. I am wondering if you work could be used for terrains for an open source game called Wesnoth.

There are a few things to know: They want art published by GPL or CC License.

It seems to be non commercial and give credit, as you are asking.

Second thingy is: They follow an iso like perspective. 3 to the side and 2 up. Basically iso-art has to be stretched and changes its shape due to that.

Many of your stock pieces are not iso perspective at all. For things like stones and trees perspective can be faked by distortion and twisting.

Terrain art will be scaled down extremely. You might not recognize the original anymore. A house would have to fit into 72x72 pixel.

How you feel about getting your work utilized like that?"

He wrote:
"Yes OK use it if you like."

Did the exact wording make you feel better by any means?