Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

ghype's Daily Art #51 - Portraits

Post by ghype » November 1st, 2017, 4:06 pm

Welcome To My Daily Art Thead

This thread shows my progress concerning the custom art of my era ELE - Eternal Era .
4 of the current 6 factions are posted and discussed. There have been proposals on how to improve them, which will be applied and tracked at some time in the future.

Index of Contents:

Chaper One:
  • Horned Skeletons . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-3
  • Wild Centaurs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3-5
  • The Fallen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .5-6
  • True Vikings. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6-9
Chaper Two:
Here are all units + weapon portraits posted sofar
Display All+Weapon Portraits_1.png
Here you can read some background story to each faction

Horned Skeletons:
The horned skeletons do not derive from humans, since human do not have horns, but from a yet unspecified race from outside the Great Continent and now dwell in a city of corpses. They used to have highly advanced social structures as many civilised humanoid races. They used to live in harmony and peace for ages, but they had an unfortunate interest in the Occult and Alchemy. Their high council encouraged all mages to study the arts of ancient necromancy, because it was believed they could enhance daily life and social services with necromancy. The mages were regarded as elite of their society and dedicated ant entire lifetime researching the Occult. They had no families and were not allow to love, marry or have children. It was believed that such emotions would weaker someones will and would be only a distraction. Practising the art outside facilitated institutes was prohibited by law. Anyone who would break the particular severe laws regarding Necromancy would face imprisonment or death. Thats how they keep the society going, until one day society stopped. It was the fault of one Apprentice, who - by accident - mixed up to formulas which were known to have devastating consequences if not handle properly. But it happened, and toxic spirits where unleashed, infesting every living mind. No matter if animal, creature they not yet unspecified race. Their folk started to fall into an epidemic of tonmentment. The problem was, the spirits gave them eternal life, but had to pay a big price. Many tried to kill themselves by fire, some started cannibalism, other found hideouts in hope it might end one day. But it didn't. Technically, they all are still alive, because they never died. However, any organic material was decayed so all what was left was their bones.

Wild Centaurs:
The Centaur once inhabited a large part of the Great Centuries. But that was centuries ago, almost forgotten. In fact, the centaurs all once were elves. That must have been between around 1000 BF to 700 BF, no one knows this exactly. All the remaining protocols of centaurs are hid in a tomb of some maniac elf, hidden very deep in the ground, who took all the centaurs secrets with his death. But the others elves around that time knew about the centaurs too. Why haven't been their story told?
Well ... there was this incident. Once a larger group of elves scouts and warriors where send out on an expedition outside the Great Continent by request of the nobles to find some sort of ancient artefacts. It is believed they found them, because none of them ever returned. Except of one warrior. He told the nobles that they found what they looking for. But what they found weren't ancient artefacts, but an tomb with the remaining of an ancient beast. Once they entered the tomb, the bones of the beast became flesh. The warriors atacked the beast out of fear, but non of the blades and sword could penetrate the beasts skin. The beast became angry, and killed all the warriors inside the tomb. Once the beast left the tomb and saw the horses, his desire to kill ended. It spoke some magic words in an unknown language and suddenly all horses and their rider were transformed in what became to known as centaurs. The remaining guards couldn't believe their eyes and run away out of fear to became just like them or find a different, much worse feat. Only one guard made back to the nobles to tell them the story. After some time of isolated consolidation, they decided to kill that remaining warrior and never talk about this incident again. Elves seem to not like this kind of magic and were afraid that this might frighten their civilisation. From that point on, the centaurs were just a myth.
As for the centaurs back then, an instinctive call to the west made them evade the Great Continent and never come back...

the Fallen:
coming soon...

Vikings:
coming soon...
Last edited by ghype on July 4th, 2018, 9:20 pm, edited 123 times in total.
post sprites & stuff every day: ghype's Daily Art
destroying enemy castle here: Orcish Castle - Destroyed - work in progress

IPS

Re: Concept Sprites For New Faction/Era

Post by IPS » November 1st, 2017, 6:17 pm

You could consider creating one faction inspired in lovecraft. Dunno, got the idea from viewing the curious advancements from the cuttlefish.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server.

ForestDragon
Forum Regular

Post by ForestDragon » November 1st, 2017, 7:14 pm

nice sprites! :) however, you put this thread in the wrong forum section (stuff like units sprites/portraits is supposed to be posted in the Art Workshop, and Faction & Era Development forum section is for feedback). It's no big deal, since you can just ask a moderator to move your thread, though. anyway, some critique about the sprites themselves:
-the palettes of the bottom-right monster's head/rest of the body are a bit inconsistent with eachother. Would be nice if you fixed that.
-most units have basically the same armor right now, maybe add more uniqueness between unit lines, and levels?
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned),The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, abandoned),XP Bank (1.14),Alliances Mod(1.14), with a large add-on in development
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

ghype

Post by ghype » November 2nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

ok thanks for the advices, i see the thread moving already happened.
Ur totally right, now that i spent double much time for a single sprite, these ones look kinda rushed in comparison to the new ones i am doing

IPS

Post by IPS » February 4th, 2018, 11:31 pm

How is the development of the era? Sorry for doing such spam, but the thread was somehow inactive, would be appreciable if more often you can tell us the status of your progress :D
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server.

Wussel

Post by Wussel » March 22nd, 2018, 9:38 am

Looks good to me. Are these kind of savage elves?

Like 4 different level 1 of whom 2 have 2 advancement options?

And a pet of course?

BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac » March 22nd, 2018, 11:04 am

Well the OP says "closely related to cephalopods" so I'm guessing they're more like the squid people from Splatoon.

Wussel

Post by Wussel » March 24th, 2018, 12:00 am

So these head gears are actually tentacles? They look more like forrest people playing with wolfskin and dear horns to look scary. Dressed up as Wendigo or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

ghype

Post by ghype » April 4th, 2018, 9:54 am

they actually were my first franken like ever. they wear elvish armor indeed but the franken themselves arent that great as the newer ones.

been practising

ghype

Post by ghype » April 4th, 2018, 10:10 am

is there a way how to change the threads titel?
i have had over 130+ new frankens but i never posted them.

Or can i delete this thread and open a new one?

Ravana

Post by Ravana » April 4th, 2018, 10:49 am

By editing first post.

ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art

Post by ghype » April 10th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Here goes my first post...
Always wondered why there isnt a full skeleton faction yet out. For some reason they all enden up having horns

spear fighter (lv1), guard (lv2), fortress(lv3)

As far as I remember:
shield + armor from RE (Vyncyn) - recolored
shoes from Burned Lich RE (Vyncyn) - recolored

EDIT: do you think the transparent background is better then the dirt terrain? I could use grass terrain too
Attachments
skel-spear#2.png
spear fighter line - transparent
skel-spear#2.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
skel-spear.png
spear fighter line
skel-spear.png (38.92 KiB) Viewed 3778 times

ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art

Post by ghype » April 11th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Daily Art #2

second advancement to the spear fighter, the banner skel.

spear fighter (lv1), frontliner (lv2), banner-bone(lv3)

As far as I remember:
flag (banner) from RE (Vyncyn) - recolored
Attachments
skel-spear-banner.png
skel banner line
skel-spear-banner.png (9.66 KiB) Viewed 3710 times

ForestDragon
Forum Regular

Re: ghype's Daily Art #2

Post by ForestDragon » April 11th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Excellent sprites! However, I think it add more variety if the advancements had unique headgear, like, for example, helmets.
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Creator of Tale of Alan (1.12 abandoned),The Golden Age (1.12/1.13, abandoned),XP Bank (1.14),Alliances Mod(1.14), with a large add-on in development
"Real life is like a hyper-realistic VR game, but with permadeath and boring gameplay"

ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #2

Post by ghype » April 12th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Thank you Forest Dragon. I agree that they coul need some variation for lv2/3 on the headgear. maybe i am just not used to see Skels with helms and other stuff