Concept Sprites For New Faction/Era

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Concept Sprites For New Faction/Era

Postby ghype » November 1st, 2017, 4:06 pm

]Here is the first display of sprites closely related to cephalopods (e.g. squids, octopus, anything with tentacles).
Those are based on ChaosRider's (Wotg) Gold-Fighter and Cosmic-Medium units, so credit goes to him.
Since I took only the heads of those untis, everything else is heavily, manually added and franked in the best possible way.

It's still work-in-progress, but I hoped you could give me ideas on what kind of other units this faction could be missing, since it has only 5 base units sofar.
For the more experienced sprite artist, you could give your opinion if my sprites need in general more work. U can clearly see how sprites got better over time, so i gotta go back fixing the first ones anyway.

here is my to-do list regarding the sprite artwork:

- alter robe of mage
- position heavy spearman
- position roguemage lv3
- position mage
- refining left arm roguemage Lv3
- refining heavy spear weapon
- refining crossbow Lv3
- tentacles
- add full armour to shotteress‚
- colouring ?
- lighting/shades
- conturing
- cleaning up the layers
- shadows

Thanks in advance for any helpfull comment.
Attachments
Display  Kopie.png
Display Kopie.png (82.11 KiB) Viewed 380 times
ghype

Re: Concept Sprites For New Faction/Era

Postby IPS » November 1st, 2017, 6:17 pm

You could consider creating one faction inspired in lovecraft. Dunno, got the idea from viewing the curious advancements from the cuttlefish.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server.
IPS

Postby ForestDragon » November 1st, 2017, 7:14 pm

nice sprites! :) however, you put this thread in the wrong forum section (stuff like units sprites/portraits is supposed to be posted in the Art Workshop, and Faction & Era Development forum section is for feedback). It's no big deal, since you can just ask a moderator to move your thread, though. anyway, some critique about the sprites themselves:
-the palettes of the bottom-right monster's head/rest of the body are a bit inconsistent with eachother. Would be nice if you fixed that.
-most units have basically the same armor right now, maybe add more uniqueness between unit lines, and levels?
ForestDragon

Postby ghype » November 2nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

ok thanks for the advices, i see the thread moving already happened.
Ur totally right, now that i spent double much time for a single sprite, these ones look kinda rushed in comparison to the new ones i am doing
ghype

Return to Art Workshop