ghype's Daily Art - Thank You!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Lordlewis

Re: ghype's Daily Art #44 - (real) Vikings

Post by Lordlewis »

I like these ones lot as well. The only thing I think looks a little weird are the eyes, they look a bit too big and makes the level 3/4 look like they're in shock or something.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #44 - (real) Vikings

Post by ghype »

Lordlewis wrote: June 8th, 2018, 11:23 am I like these ones lot as well. The only thing I think looks a little weird are the eyes, they look a bit too big and makes the level 3/4 look like they're in shock or something.
mhhh. i never noticed and i am not sure if I agree with you. I mean the lv1 and lv2 have the exact same eye area. maybe something which is unusual is that you can actually see both eyes. normally, sprites used to have only 1 visible eye using 1 white and 1 black pixel, where as the second eye (right eye) was made up only out of 1 black pixel without the white dot next to it.

maybe thats whats gives you that impression.
The_Gnat wrote: June 8th, 2018, 8:34 am Nice I really like that! You are doing a great job! :D
thank you
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #45 - (real) Vikings

Post by ghype »

here is the 2nd advancement. instead of becoming jarl, they decided to become a hersir. spend their wealth into good armour.

Viking Lendr (lv1), Viking Thane (lv2), Viking Hersir (lv3)
Attachments
viking-lendr-hersir.png
viking-lendr-hersir.png (9.57 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

So would the level 3 2nd advancement unit have high hp, high physical resistance or a mixture of both?
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
ghype

Post by ghype »

Lordlewis wrote: June 9th, 2018, 12:21 pm So would the level 3 2nd advancement unit have high hp, high physical resistance or a mixture of both?
some sort of. only noble vikings could afford armour plates/shoulder pads/helmets etc back then. this means that my vikings naturally are -10% to physical dmg. unit with big shields for the shield-wall (will come later) have some resistance too. but not as high as the hersir.

also he has some sort of "general/leader" role using the Rashy ability called "rally". it gives leadership kind of bonus to adjacent units, only if this unit with rally attacked first. so its not quit leadership, but goes that way.
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #46 - (real) Vikings

Post by ghype »

the next 3 lines will look similar, they all are female shieldmaids, creating a shield-wall when needed.

here is the first of the three.

Viking Oks Kriger (lv1), Viking Stor Oks (lv2), Viking Oks Skjold (lv3)
Attachments
viking-oks-kriger.png
viking-oks-kriger.png (8.42 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #47 - (real) Vikings

Post by ghype »

here is another shieldmaid. this one lacks a shield on lv1 which was a balancing decision.

Viking Spyd Kriger (lv1), Viking Stor Spyd (lv2), Viking Spyd Skjold (lv3)
Attachments
viking-spyd-kriger.png
viking-spyd-kriger.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
Last edited by ghype on June 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enclave

Post by enclave »

i think they look cool, but the shield is spoiling it i think, maybe because its done in 1 shade/tone, and should have many shades to look real... i'm not a drawing expert, just my poinion that it looks a bit out of place.. the more I look at it I get used to it, but the first impression was like a kid drawn shield, while everything else was drawn by an artist.
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: June 11th, 2018, 4:49 pm its done in 1 shade/tone, and should have many shades to look real... i'm not a drawing expert, just my poinion that it looks a bit out of place..
yes, i see what you mean, but it was the first shield I have ever drawn from scratch, the colors are too bright, my add some darker teals and browns to it. thanks for commenting on it anyway.

who knows lagertha?
this is what is was inspired by
enclave

Post by enclave »

ghype wrote: June 11th, 2018, 5:55 pm who knows lagertha?
this is what is was inspired by
in this case you could do some cracks in the shield like she has :) yours is like brand new :P
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: June 12th, 2018, 9:39 am in this case you could do some cracks in the shield like she has :) yours is like brand new :P
yes, i hope I can edit the shield authentically.
here is the last shieldmaid line. this one is a bit more expensive. instead of using hatchets as ranged weapon, it shoots arrows.
Attachments
viking-sverd-kriger.png
viking-sverd-kriger.png (8.77 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Good job with the new viking faction, however, a bit of critique:
-The three shieldmaid lines look way too similar. I'd recommend adding some variety in clothing (though I'm unable to make exact suggestions here, as I have next to knowledge of historically accurate vikings) and pose. Another good idea would be to give each line unique imagery on the shields.
-the lvl3 sword/bow shieldmaiden' sword should probably be held at a more diagonal angle. holding the weapon in a straight line vertically does make some sense for something like a spear, but not for a sword
ghype

Post by ghype »

thanks for your feedback
ForestDragon wrote: June 12th, 2018, 2:47 pm -The three shieldmaid lines look way too similar.
(1) the idea was that it actually is the exact same unit(line), but are skilled in any weapon. thus they the exact same except the weapons they use. similar to that. the lv3 heads are actually the same, only different hairstyles. If I'd give them different armour/poses, they could be considered completely different units. But I understand your critique. In-game this concepts becomes more clear.
ForestDragon wrote: June 12th, 2018, 2:47 pm Another good idea would be to give each line unique imagery on the shields.
(2) this was also one concept, to give each of the three shieldmaids hard-coded variations, with different shields. however, accuracy-wise I decided against it, since one shield-emblem was for one clan. yes, vikings often fought together with other clans against common enemies, hence their shield-emblems got mixed up, but the most severe clan regimes actually had all their warriors with the same shield-emblems. I planned to do some variations on the hairstyles rather then the shield-emblems though. this would mean that every female viking could end up with any of those 4 hairstyles. this would be a very new concept to wesnoth. this would enforce also (1), by meaing that they are actually the same unit line ( with same stats/res/etc) but only vary in appearance, but not in armour.
this is how they could vary on lv3:
ForestDragon wrote: June 12th, 2018, 2:47 pm -the lvl3 sword/bow shieldmaiden' sword should probably be held at a more diagonal angle.
yes, but for some reason I struggled a lot to make it look good diagonally at first, but I got fed up and left ti vertically. But this is noted now, will give it another try.

I hope this gave you some insights on my ideas, feel free to comment to this
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Good points. Some other ideas then:
-how about making the axe/sword lines have slightly rounder shields on lvl2/lvl3, while the spear line retain the oval shape (after all, spearmen are more defensive, so a large shield is fitting, while it wouldn't be quite as practical with a short-ranged weapon like a one-handed axe).
-In retrospect, the lvl3 axe line shieldmaiden's axe looks like a two-handed in terms of size. I'd suggest either reducing the handle length, or removing her shield in favor of two-handed grip, possibly giving her something like a strapped buckler (if historical accuracy allows it)
-how about giving some lvl3s wolf pelt hats, like with the archer line's lvl1? (it would help make the units more distinguishable, while not straying from the theme)
-I think it would be a good idea to increase the buckler size a bit for the lvl1 spear-wielding shieldmaiden
ghype

Post by ghype »

ForestDragon wrote: June 12th, 2018, 5:18 pm -how about making the axe/sword lines have slightly rounder shields on lvl2/lvl3, while the spear line retain the oval shape (after all, spearmen are more defensive, so a large shield is fitting, while it wouldn't be quite as practical with a short-ranged weapon like a one-handed axe).
-In retrospect, the lvl3 axe line shieldmaiden's axe looks like a two-handed in terms of size. I'd suggest either reducing the handle length, or removing her shield in favor of two-handed grip, possibly giving her something like a strapped buckler (if historical accuracy allows it)
-I think it would be a good idea to increase the buckler size a bit for the lvl1 spear-wielding shieldmaiden
yes thats makes a lot of sense. I axe/sword maid will receive rounder shield, where as the spear maid keeps her oval shield, maybe i'll enlarge it with 1-2px up/downwards. noted the axe size too. handle will be shorter, blade will be 1-2px thinner.
ForestDragon wrote: June 12th, 2018, 5:18 pm -how about giving some lvl3s wolf pelt hats, like with the archer line's lvl1? (it would help make the units more distinguishable, while not straying from the theme)
the lv3 spear maid actually has fur pads + fur cape. however, it might make more sense to give those the axe fighter. so the spear maid has its larger shield and a fancy spear, where as the sword maid got the bow and the axe maid the pads/cape.

thank you again for you ideas, appreciate your time.