Edwylm's sprite alterations

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Edwylm

Re: Edwylm's sprite alterations

Post by Edwylm »

tribes55 wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 2:31 pm Woh, those Dwarf Chariots are very cool, very nice art. An unique unit.
What type of attacks you would assign to them? Charge?

I love the Dwarves and Drakes. They keep the default era look.
Thank you very much! :D
As for the attacks I would give a charge or a trample weapon special with a attack only just for the rams on the chariot.
You might want to check out my addon "Obscured Folklore Era" which I'm testing them out on.
ResExsention wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 5:51 pm Edwylm, pretty nice-looking vampire wose you have, all I have to say is that they look a little too dark, and maybe the eyes could be repositioned a little bit; they look kind of wrong where they are, in my opinion.
Well here are 2 new color changes the 3rd on the bottom is the base image. I did change the eyes but I might need to edit on where the mouth might be located. It seems a bit weird to me but that could be myself.
vampire_wose.png
vampire_wose.png (50.57 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Wow! Nice! I like the middle variation the best; not to dark and not too light. They could also use a bit of directional angling; they look two dimensional, looking sideways like that. Oh, and also, did you make these from scratch?
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

ResExsention wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 11:15 pm Wow! Nice! I like the middle variation the best; not to dark and not too light. They could also use a bit of directional angling; they look two dimensional, looking sideways like that. Oh, and also, did you make these from scratch?
Well the directional angling will be a bit hard but I'll try to work on that.
As to your question I didn't make them from scratch. I used Neoriceisgood's art in the Wose - the serious thread.
old-wose.png
old-wose.png (37.67 KiB) Viewed 7684 times
I also used the old Wose Shaman which used to be in Delfador's Memoirs.
shaman.png
shaman.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 7684 times
Someday I hope to make units by scratch.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Don't be scared to do it! Start with one unit. Finish it, and then decide what you don't like about the unit, what you think should be improved.
You should have a good idea of what you want to draw before going into it.
Once you have a baseline I think it'd help a lot ;)
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Tribes55, I totally agree with you. I mean, I do spriting from scratch myself, and it's really all about practice. If you need a unit (say, an Elvish Overlord [duh, it's my icon]), take, for example, the Elvish High Lord and do stuff like adding more swords or swirling the cloak in gold, etc. Then, once you do that, you'll find yourself with a nice sprite indeed. As for the wose sprite, I really like the second from the bottom. Has a natural color tone and looks just right. All I would have to comment on would be the shadows and on the first level 1 variation, the eyes are too shrouded in black; woses do not wear eye shadow. Try a very dark brown instead, with light brown, tan, and black streaks across it, depending on your lighting source.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well this was my first attempt on creating something mostly made from scratch. the eyes and foliage are from the original Woses and the stone-large from projectiles. Idea was to create a stone throwing Wose.
treebeings.png
treebeings.png (7.85 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
I'm not scared to do sprites from scratch. I have more of the problem of trying to work on more of a 3d image feel
ResExsention wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 4:45 pm As for the wose sprite, I really like the second from the bottom. Has a natural color tone and looks just right. All I would have to comment on would be the shadows and on the first level 1 variation, the eyes are too shrouded in black; woses do not wear eye shadow. Try a very dark brown instead, with light brown, tan, and black streaks across it, depending on your lighting source.
Do you mean the ones tagged as "old-wose"?
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Yes. Now, to comment on the throwing wose you have, instead of rocks, you could try a tangle of foilage or a ball of wood, as rocks don't seem natural to a wose. And you could also try adding a shadow and making the first one slightly slimmer; it looks a little too fat, and doesn't seem to look right. But other than that, it looks great! I'd be interested to see what each of it's frames would be; it's throw and its crush attacks! :D

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

ResExsention wrote: August 4th, 2018, 5:18 pm Yes. Now, to comment on the throwing wose you have, instead of rocks, you could try a tangle of foilage or a ball of wood, as rocks don't seem natural to a wose. And you could also try adding a shadow and making the first one slightly slimmer; it looks a little too fat, and doesn't seem to look right. But other than that, it looks great! I'd be interested to see what each of it's frames would be; it's throw and its crush attacks! :D
Well here are 2 options for 1 level. I made them thinner. #1 has lose vines the #2 has the vines rolled into a ball. Though a 3rd option not shown be the Wose controlling plants underneath the enemy to tangle the enemy. The shadow I'll add when I start working on the animations.
chaparral_wose.png
chaparral_wose.png (6.24 KiB) Viewed 7532 times
Also here arethe touched up version of Neoriceisgood's wose.
dark_wose.png
dark_wose.png (25.23 KiB) Viewed 7531 times
As for you statement of rocks would not seem natural. All the Wose has to do is use its roots or hands to dig up boulders to throw. Also using a rock use mean that they wouldn't hurt the plant life or themselves. I have to rework on the animation for the rock thrower line as the files got corrupted.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

I really like the first wose, the one labeled chaparral. Maybe you should also make it a little bit taller, and add the magenta things for the {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} bits. And your edited versions on the one labeled dark wose look awesome! I have nothing to say about them, since they look good already!

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

chaparral_wose.png
chaparral_wose.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
I added your suggestions. Wasn't sure what to add for symbol for the team color so I added a tattered ribbon.
ResExsention wrote: August 6th, 2018, 8:36 pm And your edited versions on the one labeled dark wose look awesome! I have nothing to say about them, since they look good already!

Yeah they were already good sad to see them not used on official mainline. But at least they will not be wasted for when I add them to my add-on.

And here are a few more ideas I had.
forest_father.png
forest_father.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
forest_mother.png
forest_mother.png (8.53 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
root.png
root.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
The forest mother is not meant to be used offensively and basically stationary unit. The only attack it would have is its roots which be like a swarm attack. Was also thinking it be cool for it to "summon/recruit" root units at the cost of HP.
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Huh. Interesting. The root thing is a unique idea, and very good. All I have to say is that on the chaparral wose I think the ribbon is too solid; try making it a bit more splayed. And for your forest father, it's excellent, and nothing has to be done. As for the mother, all I would say is that it's left branch looks a little too straight and doesn't seem to follow the woses' basic design. But really, I'm impressed! Keep it up!

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

I'm glade you like them :D

Now I did another with more like a leaf and I Splayed the ribbon out. I think I added a bit to much but I was playing around on the location of the ribbons.
chaparral_wose.png
chaparral_wose.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 7446 times
Finally the forest mother. I made given it a more defined hand and a bending poster which makes it look better. Might need to touch on the hand foliage and the finger colors so they stand out more.
forest_mother.png
forest_mother.png (7.93 KiB) Viewed 7446 times
baranitex

Post by baranitex »

This is called the talent for design. Good job!
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Perfect chaparral wose. Nothing needs to be done. For the forest mother, though, you should probably add some roots, as right now it kind of looks like a rootless tree. But really, impressive! As baranitex has said, "This is called the talent for design!"

Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Alright here are the forest parents. I used the Wose root design to help make the roots.
forest_father.png
forest_father.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 7333 times
forest_mother.png
forest_mother.png (8.51 KiB) Viewed 7333 times

As with the Chaparral Wose base completed here we have the level advancement for it the Briar Wose. I tried having the vine on the other hand but it blended in too much.
briar_wose.png
briar_wose.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 7333 times

"This is called the talent for design!" Thanks this means a lot. :oops: And I hope that you have fun playing with these units. :D