Let's (try to) expand the great continent!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Re: Let's (try to) expand the great continent!

Post by WTrawi »

Yeah, it kind of bothers me as well, but it's necessary for one of my stories placed on Irdya. It is my own creation and has got no name yet, but it's a place where in early years of Wesnoth a huge amount of people move to in hope of finding a safe home because all the East would be full of various monsters. It is almost totally dry and deserted, but is the only way for them to survive in the wild East. :eng:
But as mentioned before, it's just in my own D&D-like game.

(should be smaller though)
Last edited by WTrawi on December 10th, 2017, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

Oh and before I forget it, has anyone got an idea of what is supposed to be at the south part of the continent? I've searched for it but nor the old bigmap, nor Zookeper's map or any campaigns say a thing about it.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

WTrawi wrote:Hey, I'm filling the empty parts on the Great Continent for a D&D game, and I couldn't find this island's name in the top, do you know it?
Nope, I never tried to name it, and I don't think anyone else has named it in UMC, either.
WTrawi wrote:Oh and before I forget it, has anyone got an idea of what is supposed to be at the south part of the continent? I've searched for it but nor the old bigmap, nor Zookeper's map or any campaigns say a thing about it.
I left in that southernmost bit mainly to mesh with this idea.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Oh and before I forget it, has anyone got an idea of what is supposed to be at the south part of the continent?
@WTrawi: Have you played The Unstoppable Legion? There is map which illustrates the Southern part of the Great Continent in that UMC.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

zookeeper wrote:I left in that southernmost bit mainly to mesh with this idea.
Well, this basically ruined like half of my ideas about the d&d, but it will be very useful, thanks for the link! :D
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

WTrawi wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I left in that southernmost bit mainly to mesh with this idea.
Well, this basically ruined like half of my ideas about the d&d, but it will be very useful, thanks for the link! :D
(tangent)
The company that "owns" d&d is rabidly zealous about copyright and derivative works by fans, to the point that GPL or CC dedicated people could hate them, IMO (ok maybe i'm the only one). Even their d20 "open gaming license" heavily restricts what you can do.
My point being, you might find it tricky to publish your add-on here if that was ever the plan. More on-topic, content here could not incorporate your ideas if they recognizably resembled d&d stuff (it could taint otherwise good work).
(/tangent)
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

WTrawi wrote:Oh and by the way my extension for the Great Continent so far looks like this:
Scatch 2 preview.png
(it has got nothing to do with the real Great Continent altough everything I drew on it is based on the pre-1.11 map of the continent)
This looks rather nice. The gaping emptiness at southeastern part of the continent leaves room for an 'Terra Incognita' where further Umc may happen in.
Id say we update the appropriate parts to be in line with current mainline maps, and take the never used before rest as is.

@zookeeper: An chain of islands may function better than that hilariously extended landmass to the south. Then you can explain they have reached the great continent via means of exploration, or island-hopping colonization rather than an ice-age migration through the southpole.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

tr0ll wrote:The company that "owns" d&d is rabidly zealous about copyright and derivative works by fans...
I don't think that they can do anything against me making a table game only for myself (which is not a real d&d anyway) and I didn't think of publishing it anywhere.
Eagle_11 wrote:The gaping emptiness at southeastern part of the continent leaves room for an 'Terra Incognita' where further Umc may happen in.
My scatch is is simply not finished since I didn't find anything about the southeastern part of the continent.

Oh and by the way one of my ideas was that The Great Continent is the only one on Irdya and it's spreading near on the whole planet (which sounds quite impossibe, but whatever) and humans actually came from the wild eastern coast of the continent by simply going around the planet and ending up in Wesnoth without knowing that they have arrivet to the same continent. This is what the other continent kinda ruins. How do you like it? :D
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Ive always thought of Irdya having 2 large continents, althou can suppose the old continent is fairly smaller when compared to the great continent(there has got to be an reason its got named 'great' after all).
Besides those continents there would exist the occasional island and archipelago, like the Green Isle or Morogor.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Why not make Irdya huge and hollow?
It was so large and massive that, initially, only the core was inhabited by magmazoids, who later hollowed it out and deposited minerals on the surface. Then, with the reduced density, other folks somehow came to be on the surface. Maybe they were seeded from an RPGer's febrile dream when it was projected through a psychic portal — nah, Wesnoth is not zonky enough. Actually — hang on while I go mail myself a synopsis with that premise … ^_^

Whether you want multiple continental plates, and separate landmasses, and whether they have similar sizes or whether one is a large shallow sea speckled with islands — really depends on what you want to do with it. I'd recommend that you not invent any additional continents unless you seriously need more than one; and, when you do need it, then plan to make full use of it — i.e. only make separate continents if the oceanic separation helps possible stories.

A second continent is necessary for the Xalīdı Empire thing — but, as that is unlikely to be accepted as a revision to the Khalifate, I don't know why else you'd need the other continent.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Can-ned_Food wrote:...but, as that is unlikely to be accepted as a revision to the Khalifate, I don't know why else you'd need the other continent.
Isn't the old continent where all humans came from?
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Well, I meant that if my proposed history is not accepted, then your version — where they all originally come from the other coast of the same continent — would seemingly work just as well. My proposed history requires that there actually be at least two continents separated by seas.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

No, no, I just didn't understand when you said "I don't know why else you'd need the other continent"
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Well, id need the other continent because of multiple reasons.
For one, its to harbor the origin of both orcs and men. The orcs there are to have built up an great empire which eventually triumphed over the human lands forcing the exodus of remaining human cultures. Those who didnt leave the continent are the lichlords who thought blackmagic to be the answer to the orcish onslaught. The orcs there are locked in eternal battle with the undead so the great continent dwelling races dont have to worry about them coming over the ocean anytime soon, unless themselves especially sail over to poke at them Wesnothians should be safe.
Secondly, its to harbor magotechnological macguffins left behind by 'ancient aliens/world architects/insert mysterious ancients here' Wesnoth needed to explore in order to launch the additional suns.

As for the origins of man, they are to have an common ancestor with the orcs in the ancient past. The difference only then occurs when the ancient and mighty ones decide to uplift an certain portion of them to become humans. Across the old continent are to be scattered ruins, remnants of past human civilizations, with the occasional structure still intact but abandoned.
The orcs there would even have incorporated some elements from human kingdoms they have conquered into their own, mainly battle related stuff, tactics and so they are an far lot advanced than their off-shot the Northerners.