Vulpine's "art" thread. (and questions concerning art)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vulpine

Re: Vulpine's "art" thread. (and questions concerning art)

Post by Vulpine »

zookeeper wrote:It's a bit wonky. The shoulders are very beefy, whereas foxes typically look very slender, and the front elbows are way too low. The pose doesn't really scream "fox" either; if you see a fox standing around, then it's pretty likely to have its head perked up and front legs straight.
True, true. I used the wolf as a reference, so everything is pretty much in the same position. I tried to make it look thinner, but ended up adding a pixel or so to the shoulders because it looked a bit flat.

*** :augh: I forgot to change the joints... :doh:
Vyncyn wrote:I hope this gives you a good reference for you work.
It does! Though I need to train my eyes to detect good sel-out and subtle color differences. I never would have thought of using brown.

Both your edits were wonderfully helpful. My thanks to you both!

On their size: It probably was originally intended to be a normal-sized fox (I don't really remember; I just felt like taking another stab at spriting, and I was wondering what to make when I glanced at my desktop- that was the first one), but I'm thinking small wolf or middle-sized dog would be perfect. So I don't have to make it that much smaller. (And if I replace the wolf in my upcoming campaign with the fox, it'll be one mean lean vulpine nightmare :twisted: ) Besides, who could kill such an adorable creature? :lol:

By now I've been staring at that tail for waaay too long, so I don't trust my judgment on it anymore. This is what I've gotten done so far- I'll come back to it tomorrow. Thank you for your help!
Attachments
Fox_baseframe.png
Fox_baseframe.png (1.84 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Here is a link to Kathrin Polikeit (Kitty). The name needs an additional "h".
http://kathrinpolikeit.com
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Aaaahh... Yeah, the missing 'h' threw me off. I knew she did the originals, but I didn't know she did these modifications. (In fact, they aren't even on her contrib page iirc...)

Okay, I think I fixed most of the problems, though I may have missed some of them. The tail doesn't seem to stand out as odd to me anymore, though I've been staring at it a while.
Attachments
Fox_baseframe.png
Fox_baseframe.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Concerning pixelart it's pretty much perfect. It could be improved a bit, but you'll propably learn more from moving on and making new units.
Anatomy wise I think it is too long (from tail to head). It might look better if you shorten his body by one or two pixels. Behind his head are some bright orange pixels, which look weird. I think it would look better if they were either darker or completely removed
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

:) Thanks! I was actually thinking of working on animations, but maybe I'll work on a unit for my campaign. I'd like to be able to animate though, so I will get around to that eventually.
Attachments
Fox_baseframe.png
Fox_baseframe.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The fox looks pretty good, but the real test is what it looks like "in game". I'd think the body should be thinner, and maybe a pixel or two shorter, but anyone would recognize that as a fox. A red fox would often have dark fur on their feet & legs, sort of like "boots" (as Vyncyn noted).
Vulpine wrote:I knew she did the originals, but I didn't know she did these modifications. (In fact, they aren't even on her contrib page iirc...)
Just to clear up confusion (and to take a trip down Memory Lane), those were my modifications (Ukian Seeress & Hawk-eye), back when I had no idea what I was doing. But Kitty was a good sport about it, and wasn't offended. She was very nice to beginners, I hope Wesnoth Art Workshop can continue to keep that up.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Thanks, Doofus-01! Hopefully we'll be able to see what it looks like "in game" soon; I think the large size will work perfectly. I guess I'm not going to need to use your wolf anymore! I'm changing the character to a giant fox instead of a giant wolf 8)
Doofus-01 wrote:Just to clear up confusion (and to take a trip down Memory Lane), those were my modifications (Ukian Seeress & Hawk-eye)
Yeah, I remember I saw them in BMR using BfW v1.6; I was playing on an old PowerBook at the time, which wouldn't run anything later than that... :whistle:
I'm glad you did clear that up; I didn't know who to credit for them before, and that was really bugging me.

Mar's Sketch.
If you played Elvish Incursion: A Prologue, then you know this already.:
He was about the same age in the prologue as Konrad was at the beginning of HttT, and is probably in his early twenties currently. I don't remember the ages.
mar-first-01.png
mar-first-01.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 6308 times
Please keep in mind that this is only a sketch. I'm going to have to work quite a bit on the hair to get it exactly how I want it. (I kind of used the Master at Arms as reference for the sprite, but barely. The fencer's hairdo is the type I'm going for here.)
[edit] I want to stick a dagger in his other hand. [/edit]
[edit] I feel compelled to correct my statement: This is not a sketch. I should have said it is in the sketch-and-fill stage if that makes any more sense. Blocked maybe? Or preliminary? [/edit]
Any glaring errors?

I'm going to have to work on finding a portrait for him...
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice good progress with you sprites! I especially like the fox. :D 8)

(I noticed the most recent sprite you are drawing needs a shadow, but you probably realize that)
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Mar looks very flat. It might look different after you finish shading, but I highly recommend you put his legs at an angle instead of parallel to the xy-plane.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

The_Gnat wrote:Nice good progress with you sprites! I especially like the fox. :D 8)

(I noticed the most recent sprite you are drawing needs a shadow, but you probably realize that)
Thanks for the compliment!
I had realized that about the shadow, but forgot about it just as quickly :lol:
Vyncyn wrote:Mar looks very flat. It might look different after you finish shading, but I highly recommend you put his legs at an angle instead of parallel to the xy-plane.
Hmm.. :hmm: Yeah, I think I see what you mean.

I had intended for the legs to look like they were at an angle, but that didn't go over too well unshaded. I expanded them a bit and added shading. Though looking at it now I think his right one is too hard to read.

That coat is still bothering me though. I'm probably making poor use of my color palette. I'll have to observe the Master-at-Arms' coat and some others and try to make some adjustments...
Attachments
mar-first-02.png
mar-first-02.png (10.83 KiB) Viewed 6250 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Okay, so third update. I didn't do much, but I sure took a while doing it. Any suggestions? (I'm thinking he's a l2/l3 unit, so size doesn't really matter.)
Attachments
mar-first-03.png
mar-first-03.png (10.83 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Looks great! :D I think you should switch the blade's palette to the loyalist metal one, though.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

He definitely looks more 3D now. His arms should be thicker and the sword is missing shading. Otherwise I didn't notice any big problems.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! I apologize for the late reply; I was having quite a bit of trouble with the next character's pose.
Finished at last?
Finished at last?
mar-first-finalmaybe.png (10.86 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
How's this for Mar? I think I need to practice making hands...
Updated
Updated
kait-first-02.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
Lady Kaitlin, of the now non-existent La'Ness tribe of the deep southern Aethenwood. Spent months running from a band of mercenaries, and took to the shadows. I was having trouble with the pose, and really didn't like anything I came up with. The hair and face are... iffy at best.

[edit]I replaced the first version with a new one. I made some adjustments to the head, hair and daggers/hands.[/edit]

I'll keep working on this one. If you have any suggestions off the top of your head I would love to hear them!
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

I'm happy with this rendition, which has only minor tweaks. If anybody notices any problems that I missed, it would be appreciated if they were pointed out.
kait-first-03.png
kait-first-03.png (10.73 KiB) Viewed 6113 times
I suspect this will be my last sprite for a while, as I'm currently trying to work on multiple campaigns and life is throwing things at me again, so thank you very much for your advice and comments!
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]