L4 Drake sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vulpine

L4 Drake sprites

Post by Vulpine »

:hmm: There seem to be a profound lack of L4 drake sprites; the Armageddon Drake is about it. (And the ones from MWC2 apparently... I should have looked into that before starting.)

I had some free time, and have been trying to create custom units, so I thought why not make an advancement for the L3 drakes?

I do not claim to be a pixel artist of any skill, nor do I claim that these are passable representations of level four units.

My methods: mostly moving the body parts around and filling in the blank areas. The keeper's upper torso was done pretty much from scratch, as was his wing. (And tail: somehow it went missing when I was working on it. Probably covered it with another part.) There were various other tweaks such as his horns and right knee (his right).

The Warlord was done the same way, only I created his whole torso using the old one as reference, and flipped his left arm. I added more volume to his arm, his left claw, his horns etc.
I think the original blademaster looks just as big, even though he is slightly smaller. I had originally intended to give the warlord a hunched pose like the keeper, but I am not even a half-decent spritist/artist.
keeper+warlord.png
keeper+warlord.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 6121 times
So, any criticism? Advise on how to improve them? It would be much appreciated. (And yes, I know it looks like the warlord is chewing on his pauldron. What can I say? Fighting makes him hungry.)
Amalgamation of finished units for easy access 8)
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Vulpine on May 6th, 2017, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: L4 Drake sprites

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The keeper's upper torso makes it look like he got punched in the stomach by a troll. Maybe franked-paste the chest piece of the Enforcer into the Keeper?

The warlord should have bigger war-blades and wings.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:The keeper's upper torso makes it look like he got punched in the stomach by a troll.
:lol:

I always thought he looked like a muscle-bound hulk. Now I can use it as part of an animation if punched by the rocklobber or shaman.

Is this a bit better? imo the keeper looks a bit thin in the chest, but it could just be me.

BTW, if anybody feels these are suitable, feel free to use them.
warlord+keeper-1.png
warlord+keeper-1.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
Last edited by Vulpine on May 6th, 2017, 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

The keep looks better in terms of armor. Can you edit the halberd to make it more "epic". Like enhance the size of it and add "golden" electroplating to the axe blade and spearhead?

The warlord looks menacing now. Good job! :D
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Can you edit the halberd to make it more "epic". Like enhance the size of it and add "golden" electroplating to the axe blade and spearhead?
Hmm... A bit advanced for giant medieval lizards :D Nevertheless,
keeper.png
keeper.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
Lord-Knightmare wrote:The warlord looks menacing now. Good job! :D
Thank you! I value that comment as I have little actual skill in pixel art.
And I am very grateful for your suggestions and criticism! As always, other people can often spot flaws one's self would never notice, in addition to providing insight that often proves to be useful.

Now: Does anybody actually need L4 drakes? :lol:
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Seeing How many lvl 4&5 Unit eras and Mods have been popping up since the Last two years i'm really Sure of that. :) I think the_gnat has been planning to add lvl 4 drakes to his Add-On...
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

:D Like paulomat4 said i have an era (the reign of the lords) which is needing level 4 drakes sprites. (i have been putting of frankenspriting them) but you have done a great job so i will definitely add them in to my era! Thank you!

EDIT: also are you planning on making all the drakes lvl 4 sprites? If so then i won't start frankenspriting any of them because that would be a waste.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

I'm glad they are useful! I did intend to make l4 advancements for the others as well, but I may be working slowly on them due to other previous commitments. I'm currently working on the Flameheart, leaving the Hurricane and the Enforcer without L4 advancements. Though MWC2 has an "Uber Enforcer" that is animated, but it does not appear to be shaded yet?

BTW, the .xcf files are available if for any reason you might want them.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay thank you! Also which add-on is MWC2? :mrgreen:
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Modified world conquest part 2 (or something like that)

Does anybody have a few good (pixel-art) references for really buff drake torsos? (I'm still having trouble working from scratch)
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay i will download that add-on and have a look at it.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Also you could look at the golden age's dragonheart drake for a lvl 5 awesome looking drake! It might help you in your franken spriting.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Spoiler:
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Here they are.
Keeper and Warlord
keeper.png
keeper.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
drake-warlord2.png
drake-warlord2.png (5.46 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
Does Hero of Irdya have some explanation about how the drakes got their weapons electro-plated? And why the silver drakes have gold plating? :D :whistle:

The idea for the Beacon is that he'll be literally on fire (he has 100% resistance to fire), and have the illuminates ability in addition to leadership :twisted: the current flames are not final. Any suggestions on the weapons? I kinda like the blades he's got, but don't think a simple up-size will do. Feedback on these two points are the only thing I need right now (unless you have some advice on the chest; I didn't quite like the armor that The_Gnat referenced. It's fine armor, but not quite what I had in mind. Thanks regardless!)

Anyhoo, if you can think of better names for these units (that aren't over-the-top. I liked ForestDragon's "Dragonheart" for his advancement.) please mention them here! Thanks ^_^
Attachments
Beacon-01.png
Beacon-01.png (6.72 KiB) Viewed 5833 times
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Does Hero of Irdya have some explanation about how the drakes got their weapons electro-plated? And why the silver drakes have gold plating?
The Council of Silver Drake Kings wield Draconian Steel Weapons...weapons made from a special ore mined from deep within Firecloud Peak and enchanted by their god, the Fire King (A godlike dragon with magical powers). Draconian Steel is gold-like in appearance and its weapons are far deadlier than Dwarven Weapons.
Due to the current on-going story plot revisions, I am not even sure if they will be allies or not.

The Drake Beacon could use a wider waist.
At his current state, he looks as though an invisible troll is hugging him tightly from behind. :lol: :lol:
Additionally, Drake Burningheart sounds like a better name for a lvl 4 Drake Flare.
Plus, you forgot to give him the Draconian Steel Warblades.