Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Merlin's Basement

Post by Ravana »

I would be interested in both the Yokai units. That faction could use some higher level units.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

I like the third level of line A and the second level of line B! I think i might add the line B guy to TGA
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice i like those fire units in line C, and the khalifate look really good! :D
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

*Claws out of the Earth*

See this is why you play Undead. You can always count on a necromancer to have your back. I don't bring cut outs like I promised but I bring pictures for a campaign I'm working on.
gatherer.png
gatherer.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
looter.png
looter.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
First idea is a Saurian unit based on one I found from the forums. Talentless I believe. No that's not an insult, Talentless was the screen name of the guy. I haven't done much other than try to give it a bag/backpack(Lifted from Dwarven Miner for Scepter of Fire). I then made an upgrade for it. Currently neither of them do much in the campaign though I picture the Looter to either steal gold or gain HP/Damage through kills(Like they yoink weapons or armor to use). Problems;better chest, need to make the weapon stand out a bit more and same with the bag.
hammer.png
hammer.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
Other idea was to have a Hammer Saurian. I know they exist(In Across the Ocean) but I like the idea of a larger hammer than the little ones they have. Yoinked it from Dwarven Fighter line. Need to fix the arms and it still uses Gatherer as a base. So need to fix the chest.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

These saurians are really good! :D I like the looter best he looks sneaky 8)
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

bandit.png
bandit.png (1.26 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
Maybe a rework of the Looter. Or upgrade.
forager.png
forager.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
Messing around with the idea of Gatherer breaking off into two lines. One is the Looter, bashy line. This line, Forager, is more lightly armed and geared but has an advantage in ability/range(like one more movement and comes with a Slow effect on their bash).

I also like playing around with the idea of Saurians making weapons based on whatever they can get since they aren't allied with Drakes outright(At least not in the campagin I'm working on). So simple weapons, in this case just a lump of metal at the end of a stick. Also the shields...., well I don't know what the normal shields are supposed to be made out of(How much blacksmithing do they do) so I'm trying recolors to make it look more leather or wooden. I'm not sure about my success.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

You have done a good job, and I like the idea of more primitive weapons! Maybe some saurians wood even throw stones. Also I can imagine that in a swamp it is hard to come by good weapons and many saurians would be limited to sticks such as you have drawn. (Also if you are interested in high level saurians the next update of my era The reign of the lords includes upgrades for all saurians up to lvl 4)
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

Rise from your grave

Agh, lost my computer earlier this year. Trying to see what I can salvage. Also work/other hobbies kept me from really doing much. So here's a small thing if people still like to see some stuff. What was I working on, oh right Saurian stuff!
Saurian-line.png
Saurian-line.png (6.34 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
Top guys are the gatherer line. Gatherer into Forager, or into Looter into... .not sure. Scavenger? Might name the promoted Forager that though. Hmm. Still need to fix some parts and get Forager an upgrade(It's not easy to recolor the Flanker shield like it was Ambusher).

Second one was from... whoo I can't recall actually. Found it off site I think that had other wesnoth sprites. I think they are floating around here somewhere though. Really all I added was the little sphere in the staffs. Part of the idea for the campaign I'm working on is that the tribe you play as starts learning human magic. Gonna need those little orbs right?

Oh and this too.
Forager-animated.gif
Forager-animated.gif (8.01 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Took some sprites from "Across the Ocean" I believe. Saurians had halberds and had a downward swing. Oh that looked perfect for Forage and their clubs. SO yeah, I can toss the sprites at someone if they want. Might need some fixing up though. When I used them in game, part of the mace was left behind after the attack, like the shadow of a previous sprite. Dunno if that's an art thing or programing thing though so watch for that if you use it.
ghype

Post by ghype »

saurian mages were taken from drazelic's pixel joint, but I dont see much differences other then you took out the flying shards and placed an orb on the staff.

here is the original by drazelic aka zerovirus
Attachments
saurian_soullocker.png
saurian_soullocker.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

ghype wrote: October 5th, 2018, 6:08 pm saurian mages were taken from drazelic's pixel joint, but I dont see much differences other then you took out the flying shards and placed an orb on the staff.

here is the original by drazelic aka zerovirus
Thank you for that. I at least try to give credit when I can so it was bothering me that I couldn't recall where I found them.

Could try changing the robes up a bit more, add more orbs. I liked what drzelic/zerovirus did, I just didn't like the little shards(Though debated using them as is for the campaign). But could see what to do to make it seem like a Saurian raided a mage's gear/closet
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

Okay let's see how this looks to people.
firecaller-b.png
firecaller-b.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 5617 times
Changed him up a bit. Tried to make it look like they ripped some clothes off a mage, maybe sewed the stones on the shoulders to carry easier. And you always need a book right? Looks better but unsure. :hmm:
ingame.png
ingame.png (139.49 KiB) Viewed 5617 times
And a look in game.
ghype

Post by ghype »

the attempt definitely works out pretty ok. However, not sure how advanced they could be if they had power gems/runes to use magic. wouldn they rather gather magic from nature or spirits rather then gems?

other then that seems fine
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

ghype wrote: October 7th, 2018, 3:24 am the attempt definitely works out pretty ok. However, not sure how advanced they could be if they had power gems/runes to use magic. wouldn they rather gather magic from nature or spirits rather then gems?

other then that seems fine
Shrug. Who can say they need the gems/runes to power the magic(Though Rune Magic is always a favorite of mine to see played around with).

Lore/background wise for these guys is a Seer gets a vision and goes on a quest to get supplies to fullfill the mission shown to him. To do this, part of him realizes he's going to need to learn how to cast fire. Or maybe just fire in general. Hey those human mages use Fire all the time right? Let's steal their books and staffs and learn how. You have to have the robes on to cast right? Hey spell casters, put that stuff on. Can't hurt can it?

Does it allow them to actually cast fire spells or do they believe it and wear it anyway. Choice is yours, I just wanted a different sprite to signal the fire spell casters I'm adding to Saurians