Ragnarox's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Ragnarox's Art

Postby Ragnarox » January 27th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Hi guys, this is my first sprite and I'm looking for some feedback before moving on to my next units! This sprite is a jotunn warrior, based on the Norse Mythological creature, and would likely be one of the more basic level 1 units of the faction. Any and all feedback is Welcome!
unspecified.png
unspecified.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Ragnarox

Re: Ragnarox's Art

Postby ForestDragon » January 27th, 2017, 7:13 pm

well, i am not quite able to provide detailed critique since i am not the best artist, but one thing, you should change the background of the image to transparent instead of white, since it will look like a big white square with the unit sprite in-game.

this sprite is amazing for a first try, btw! :)
sometimes helping inferno8 with his add-ons: Era of Magic, and an extremely visually beautiful campaign: To Lands Unknown
Creator of Tale of Alan (abandoned) and The Golden Age (my era, also rather abandoned),XP Bank
"Join the code side, we have COOKIES!!!" :)
ForestDragon

Postby nuorc » January 27th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Ragnarox wrote:Any and all feedback is Welcome!
I'm definitely no artist, but two things:
- I believe he could use some more neck (move the head up a bit)
- his right arm (our view) looks roundly bent, instead of in an angle

Hope you have fun continuing with your sprites. :)
I have a cunning plan.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Postby Midnight_Carnival » January 29th, 2017, 8:28 am

Ok, nice blue, heavyset guy.

People will criticise you for using "heavy black outlines" - I don't mind this, but that is what you will hear here.
I think your sprite could benefit from changing the skin tone slightly, I mean if you made him a slightly more greyish blue as opposed to the kind of neon blue you've used, you may be able to get some nice texture in. You've put some in, I just don't really see it so clearly. I'm unfamiliar with that aspect of Norse Mythology, so I wouldn't know what a jotunn warrior is meant to look like, but I see a lot of body mass on the top and rather small legs. Ignore this comment if that was intentional.

Finally the axe. It looks like the axe head is at a different angle to the shaft, maybe consider changing the way the weapon looks.

Nice unit, very original, despite what I said about the skin tone, some blue skinned guys would look good in Wesnoth, especially in the snow. Draw more.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Midnight_Carnival

Return to Art Workshop