Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Post by Wussel »

Enjoy!

Bite should be blade. Dragon bite and wolf fangs are blade.
Only water serpent fangs are pierce.

There are gaze attacks. Some splash or water spit seems to be to exotic?

Water regeneration could be minor like 2 hp only.

If we are looking at a brutal melee unit, we should compare to orcish grunt/warrior/warlord line in terms of hp and cost.

Otherwise we could add more sophisticated features (water regeneration/range attack)
Maybe flat defence could be 40% too. And if the quick trait is sacked we could go for 6 MP.

When playing I noticed that the water hide made it difficult to lure the enemies onto the beach.

Maybe make 2 advancement lines? One is getting water regeneration and the other is getting water ambush?

Maybe the sand MP-cost should go up to 2. I can not see this fellows running through the desert like hell.

Better give them special skills in mushroom groves? Defence 50% and maybe even MP-cost 1?

EDIT:
I came in second place too. I made an island map and lost to dwarves. I could have won doing leader assasinations from the sea.
Last edited by Wussel on November 20th, 2016, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@Stopsignal Glad you like it! :D another question I had was that since you are planning on making more units rather than calling this unit the deep one we should call it deep one hunter or deep one shifter or deep one guardian. What do you think it should be called? Also as I asked in my previous post would you consider creating a few (2-4) pictures for a rangdd animation and/or body slam animation as alternative attacksfor this unit?

Thanks! (Also to test how good the deep one is you could put it as ai and play against it with a base team to see how the computer plays it) :D

EDIT: @wussel

Good idea I will change the pierce to blade (also what do you mean by exotic?) And once Stopsignal makes somemore sprites I would definitely think adding another unit who doesn't water ambush would be good! Thanks for your ideas! :) and I will change them on mushrooms!
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

You could proberbly take frames from the bite attack and add a water splash projectile to it for range if desired.

Maybe an exotic leaping skill if movement starts from water might make the attacks more easy movement wise.

By exotic I mean uncommon or not standard for Wesnoth.
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Do you need the ranged animation now? I'm actually playing with them, hahahaha.

Maybe this one should be the hunter, and then i'll make one with some kind of fish spines that would be the warrior, and that one would regenerate in the water, and be less tactical and more "go and kill"!
i was thinking some kind of "sanity attack" with a weird gaze rather than the leap. They just don't seem that atletic to me!

I'll fix the stuff i have to do tonight! I had a tiring day, but maybe i get to do it. if not, tomorrow!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Wussel wrote:You could proberbly take frames from the bite attack and add a water splash projectile to it for range if desired.

Maybe an exotic leaping skill if movement starts from water might make the attacks more easy movement wise.

By exotic I mean uncommon or not standard for Wesnoth.
Good idea I will give that a try, as for the leaping maybe I will add that for this units upgrade, because he already is pretty powerful compared to mermen nagas and other water creatures.

To Stopsignal: I probably wont update the addon until tommorow so no rush with the animations :D

Also as far as the unit lines go maybe there is one deep one who never fully transforms as he advances so that these guys have one good land unit! Also I like your warrior hunter idea!

And as for attacks I agree a sanity attack would be good for the hunters range or he could have a water splash?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Are you aware that they having swamp ambush too? It looks entertaining, but it might be a bit much. It is extremly easy to advance level 1 unit while fighting them. They are kind of between level 1 and 2 and give a lot of xp. Catch one, circle it, shoot it.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Wussel wrote:Are you aware that they having swamp ambush too? It looks entertaining, but it might be a bit much. It is extremly easy to advance level 1 unit while fighting them. They are kind of between level 1 and 2 and give a lot of xp. Catch one, circle it, shoot it.
Yeah there supposed to be a lvl 2 unit, as for the swamp ambush i will remove that. And maybe increase their movement to 6!
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

That would be quite good! He will retain his swamp defense though, right?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi, i was thinking about the Deepones era some more and i came up with this unit tree:
deepones-tree.png
@Stopsignal -
since you are the one who is going to be drawing all the images this is probably pretty intimidating ;) but the reason i came up with this is not to force you to work night and day drawing sprites but instead because i was thinking that if we do want to create other units we should start testing them sooner rather than waiting till all the pictures are drawn.

So what do you think of this (brief summary of the unit lines are on the right), if at somepoint over the next few weeks you could create a single sprite for each of these units then i can create them so that we can test if this is balanced, and then if we like the units more images and animations can be made! :D

Suggestions are welcome!!
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Wow, that's pretty impressive, i hadn't thought that far! It's indeed intimidating, but if we limit ourselves a bit is really feasible! (I still need to limit myself, my holidays won't be long and between developing stuff and studying programming i might have less time later) But it can be done and damn, i so want it to be done.

I like the fledgling idea, however i was already thinking of something more classic, but indeed along the lines of what you have there:

-The Dweller would be the normal townfolf that are breeding with the fish, who would evolve into either Warriors (Heals, full attack) and hunter (more harass and blitzkrieg rather than attack), with their respective evolutions, if i can let myself work that far. Then, Cultists. Cultists are basically the ones obsessed with the cult of dagon and cthulhu. They would be the casters.

-Half breed could be an evolution of the normal townsfolk. Thinking of making human like units isn't really that appealing -i do love my monsters, hahahaha- but i can take a crack at it!

-I want to draw a tank-guardian unit for the land, the shoggoth. Black masses of a weird black substance filled with eyes and mouths. It would be so perfect.

-To scout, i got no idea for now. I found the Night Gaunts while studying what i could use in this place, they are basically weird batlike, dark creatures. I have to read that story yet, though!

I am still half thinking about the shoggoths and the night gaunts. I know deep ones had shoggoths, but maybe if i add night gaunts i fear i might get into just another lovecraftian salad, and i want this faction to feel sea-ish. Comment, please! Hope i didn't butcher your idea too much, i wanted to keep your guidelines while using other ideas.

Edit: Gonna draw some ideas! Brb
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice ideas! :D The main thing i am wondering though, is do you want the base unit to be a lvl 1 that advances into a bunch of lvl 2's or a lvl 0 that advances into a few lvl 1's?

Basically should the dweller be a lvl 1 unit or lvl 0. I personally think it should be a lvl 0 unit because that way there are enough level 1 units to have a decent recruit list in multiplayer!
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

The_Gnat wrote:Nice ideas! :D The main thing i am wondering though, is do you want the base unit to be a lvl 1 that advances into a bunch of lvl 2's or a lvl 0 that advances into a few lvl 1's?

Basically should the dweller be a lvl 1 unit or lvl 0. I personally think it should be a lvl 0 unit because that way there are enough level 1 units to have a decent recruit list in multiplayer!

What about level 0? After all, the fun units are the deep ones themselves, so i think they should be the most used ones! d:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah i agree, :D Here is a modified tree:
deepones-tree.png
I have shortened the half-breed line, and added the shoggoth's line (i was thinking though maybe it shouldn't be 3 units long) and i renamed a few units!

I'd love to hear some more feedback!! EDIT: Also since the shoggoth's traditionally are known to be metamorphic, whenever you get around to drawing their pictures you could draw two slightly different pictures for land and sea and the creature could metamorphosis as it came onto the land! 8)

EDIT 2: also is the dweller a full human if so we could just use a peasant's images, or the fisherman:

(since the dwellers were traditionally by the sea)

EDIT 3: also for the traits these units can get i was thinking: Strong,Healthy,Resilient,Fearless,Slow (any 2 of them) that removes quick and intelligence from the default ones and adds fearless, healthy and slow that the normal units can get. (do you think they should have the option of the intelligent trait?)
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Maybe they could start intelligent while human, and stop when they convert! And holy smokes, i was having such a big trouble drawing fishermen. I'll edit it a bit, but i'll CERTAINLY use it. So handy! Thanks a lot! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah (but credit goes to skeptical troll i got it from the hunters of the east campaign, i cant draw that well ;) ) Also this faction is supposed to be fun so if it ever starts being a pressure or taking up too much time just take a break and don't worry about it (there's no rush for any of this :D )

EDIT: also if you download hunters of the east it has animations for the fisherman! :D