Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Gnat

Re: Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Post by The_Gnat »

Wussel wrote:There is a bow naga in the first of the 2 zip files I posted in the UTBS art thread. Check it out.
Were is this?

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

nuorc wrote: :lol: Sorry dude, no dice! I wouldn't even know what file to look in, let alone identify what line could be responsible for that.
No problem, it doesn't really effect anything. And thanks for testing the add-on! :D
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

So far as the Deep Ones are concerned, and the humanoid half-breeds in Innsmouth, they were always described as slow and lumbering on land. When they fully matured to become Deep Ones, they rarely visited the land world save during the damp nights IIRC. So, it makes sense to me.

Anyway, if you were looking for possible allies that can help offset their weaknesses while maintaining some consistency with the mythos, I guess you could use the Shuggoths — but if the Ancient Ones slash Elder Things couldn't maintain control over them, what makes Dagon and the Deep Ones any more likely to do so?
Yes, they were briefly mentioned in Shadow Over Innsmouth, but it has been a while since I read that and so I don't remember if using the Shoggoths works.

I notice that you are including some Naga variants. Maybe they have resurrected some of the serpent men? They were mentioned a few times in some C.A. Smith and Lovecraft stories, but it looks like the brunt of their lore is detailed in Robert E. Howard's King Kull cycle. Their continent sunk, so if they haven't become worshippers of Cthulhu, then maybe Dagon has recruited them.

Some ideas for consideration. Hope you like them.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Can-ned_Food wrote:Anyway, if you were looking for possible allies that can help offset their weaknesses while maintaining some consistency with the mythos, I guess you could use the Shuggoths — but if the Ancient Ones slash Elder Things couldn't maintain control over them, what makes Dagon and the Deep Ones any more likely to do so?
Yes, they were briefly mentioned in Shadow Over Innsmouth, but it has been a while since I read that and so I don't remember if using the Shoggoths works.

I notice that you are including some Naga variants. Maybe they have resurrected some of the serpent men? They were mentioned a few times in some C.A. Smith and Lovecraft stories, but it looks like the brunt of their lore is detailed in Robert E. Howard's King Kull cycle. Their continent sunk, so if they haven't become worshippers of Cthulhu, then maybe Dagon has recruited them.

Some ideas for consideration. Hope you like them.
Thank you for your ideas! I agree the naga do fit in as serpent men! As for the shoggoth i think i will leave them because even though traditionally they would turn on their masters frequently, that would not pose good gameplay ;)

Overall my main focus is play-ability, if the faction is not balanced then no one will be interested in playing it. I unfortunately think this means we must deviate slightly from the story, but i believe it is still good :D

Can-ned_Food wrote:So far as the Deep Ones are concerned, and the humanoid half-breeds in Innsmouth, they were always described as slow and lumbering on land. When they fully matured to become Deep Ones, they rarely visited the land world save during the damp nights IIRC. So, it makes sense to me.
Yeah they sure are slow, that is why in more land-based maps the Deep One Half-Breed, Shoggoth, and Naga Tracker are important because they all move quickly!
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

The_Gnat wrote:
Wussel wrote:There is a bow naga in the first of the 2 zip files I posted in the UTBS art thread. Check it out.
Were is this?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43175&p=606100#p606100
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

The Enchanter doesn't have attack sounds, neither with the arcane wave nor the fangs. Also it turns invisible sometimes, I believe only when casting. Nice spell animation! :D

Regarding the artwork of the Deep Ones Cthulhu: I think the light area on the shoulder looks in-game more like a white strap (for a backpack?) then like a highlight; maybe that could be softened up visually? And it doesn't have team color? Are the current attack animations final?
I have a cunning plan.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

nuorc wrote:The Enchanter doesn't have attack sounds, neither with the arcane wave nor the fangs. Also it turns invisible sometimes, I believe only when casting. Nice spell animation! :D
I have fixed the sound and animation problem :D
nuorc wrote:Regarding the artwork of the Deep Ones Cthulhu: I think the light area on the shoulder looks in-game more like a white strap (for a backpack?) then like a highlight; maybe that could be softened up visually? And it doesn't have team color? Are the current attack animations final?
No the current attack animations are not the final, in fact i am hoping that at some point (probably not anytime soon) we will get animations that look like deep ones to replace all the naga pictures currently being used for them. However i am not the one who is doing the deep one artwork, stop signal was working on that and hopefully he will have more animations at some point! The Cthulhu currently only has one sprite but if you look at the deep one hunter's animations that is the goal for all the units! :D

@ Wussel -> thank you, i have added your portrait to the addon! (did you create it?)
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

lol
It is the regular naga. Distorted and mirrored. I believe it is created by Lord Bob?
The bow is lifted from an elf by Kitty.