The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ForestDragon

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by ForestDragon »

now that I think about it, the previous version was better, since the current bottle looks a bit too much like a crystal sphere. maybe try making it grayer? I don't know if it'll work, though.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I really like that portrait and sprite, it is impressive what you have done with 1 single khalifate portrait :D

Here is a UMC portrait by another author (it is a different style but you might be able to do something with it):
Spoiler:
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Thanks, and it's good to know there is another portrait I can use. The only thing I really need to add to make it look more like the batal is to change a few colors and add a plume feather. The only issue is there is only no place for an axe.
batal.png
batal.png (37.64 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Spoiler:
Edit: added sprite for tabib advancement
tabib.png
tabib.png (37.16 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice :D If you keep this up you will have the entire khalifate faction within a few weeks 8)
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Yeah I may get, the only thing I'm currently running on is imagination and a thought. Also I found that the some of the Khalifate unit names are in Arabic, for example faris means knight, horseman, etc. I named this unit suljan which is arabic for mace (considering that is a weapon they wield). Also just wondering did you put Vulpine in the credits for his portrait?
suljan.png
suljan.png (37.16 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
Spoiler:
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

the sprite looks good, but the portrait needs more changes (simply adding a mace/recoloring the armor isn't enough). maybe add a bow, edit his helmet (maybe add hakim portrait's headwear), and recolor the horse to gray, and try making something chainmail-like for it?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Yeah I agree it isn't enough (that's what I though), but I was thinking of changing it to the grand knight and work my way from that. The golden knight was just a base and it was never going to always be like that.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Lordlewis wrote:Edit: added sprite for tabib advancement
Whoah, I thought the pyromaniacs were restricted to the Naffat line?
Nice sprites :)

BTW, there seems to be something funny going on with the wild-heart and war-lord's left shoulder. It's as if the fur extends down their arm? It doesn't seem to be part of the cloak somehow. And the war-lord has some sort of round thingy on his left shoulder under the sword. That confuses me..

The only other thing is the portrait for the batal; I believe the portrait was drawn with a young Jundi in mind IIRC. As such, the armor and weapons make him look like a level 1 unit, something that cannot be changed with a plume. That being said, I realize there is a profound lack of other khalifate-like portraits to work from, much less portraits in the same art style.

But I'm nitpicking. Keep it up!
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Thanks, the round thing under the shoulder would most likely be a shield on his back and the fur on the arm is not necessarily apart of the cloak.
Edit: also here is the new portrait for the suljan
Spoiler:
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome !!! 8) 8) I really like the new horse rider portrait, and the sprites all look very good.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

looks great! :D however, It would be nice if you edited the lance to make it look like a mace.
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

I'll try to make the lance into a mace, but here is another Khalifate unit, this would be the last mounted level 4 in the faction. I called it harba which mean lance in Arabic because his main weapon is a lance (or more of a pike now).
harba.png
harba.png (55.86 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
Edit: added almulk alkhalid (probably need a shorter name), also I recommend this unit has a lot of health considering his name means 'the immortal king.'
no fire
no fire
almulk alkhalid.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
with fire
with fire
almulk alkhalid.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Spoiler:
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

I made the harba portrait, it looks a bit like the suljan one though. Also the advancement for the might war should be the keshian immortal from oath of the allegiance which looks like this.
keshianinvincible.png
keshianinvincible.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
I will still make the portrait though for him. Also I may still make an advancement for the mighwar and the keshian immortal could be a level unit.
Spoiler:
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

:hmm: It occured to me that it would be quite odd for the Khalifate to be sporting the Sceptre of Fire emblem proudly on their chests. Though there isn't much that can be done about it really... Actually, after browsing through the human portraits folder, the grand-knight-2 might work better... It does have a Ram's head on the shoulder, but that's probably better than the SoF.

BTW, there is another khalifate portrait in ANO I think it was. Not sure if that will work. And you may even be able to use the mainline human Bowman's head. The Footpad's head may work as well, but the angle is kinda funny.
You could use the horseman portrait as a base for some of the lower level Khalifate cavalry. Hang a mace at his side and swap his head out...

The Rami are a light ranged cavalry... Maybe the trapper's body on the paladin's horse? With the woodsman's head? I have no idea if that would work. I've tried frankenportraiting but it never works out.

And I should really stop before I hurt myself trying to think :D

... Are you just doing the high-level khalifate portraits? :oops:
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

I may try to do the lower levels, but yes I'm trying to do the level 4 and 5 units. Also thanks for picking on the scepter of fire, I'll try to fix that (even though I don't know how).
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!