The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Midnight_Carnival

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Ok, your female paladin is beautiful, I want to marry her. Your ruler and healer are good, the ruler particularly has a lot of character. The angel girl I love too, you draw people who look like people, not just generic character classes.
regarding your sprites, the Orcish Emperor is very good.

I just have a few issues with your dragon portrait. It is well composed and original, I get a sense of both the wyvern and it's rider's character. However it doesn't look like pixel art. It looks like you used a vector drawing program and franked it onto something. I mean if you did all your portraits in the plastic looking vector style it would be ok, I guess, bu as it is it looks jarring and discordant.

This would be a great portrait apart from the issue I raised, please re draw it or fix it some time. ;)
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:Ok, your female paladin is beautiful, I want to marry her. Your ruler and healer are good, the ruler particularly has a lot of character. The angel girl I love too, you draw people who look like people, not just generic character classes.
regarding your sprites, the Orcish Emperor is very good.

I just have a few issues with your dragon portrait. It is well composed and original, I get a sense of both the wyvern and it's rider's character. However it doesn't look like pixel art. It looks like you used a vector drawing program and franked it onto something. I mean if you did all your portraits in the plastic looking vector style it would be ok, I guess, bu as it is it looks jarring and discordant.

This would be a great portrait apart from the issue I raised, please re draw it or fix it some time. ;)
Hi Midnight carnival, I really appreciate your comments! I am glad you like the portraits! Just to clarify though none of the artwork in this thread is completely mine. For example the paladin is almost a replica of the paladin in wesnoth except it now has the face of the thief.

As for the drago when I get a chance I will see if I can improve it! Thank you! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Ok, so here is another franken-portrait:
Old cloaked elvish bowman
The Elvish Infiltrator
The Elvish Infiltrator
cloaked.png (136.38 KiB) Viewed 9428 times
I have stolen parts from a druid's hair and the human mages cloak. I personally am not satisfied with it but i thought i would post it and see what you think! :D
Last edited by The_Gnat on April 3rd, 2017, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is another version of that portrait, i think it is slightly improved:
Old cloaked elf no-sword
(EDIT)
(EDIT)
cloaked.png (135.4 KiB) Viewed 9420 times
Okay, here is the final version of the Infiltrator with a sword also:
Old cloaked elf no-armour
infiltrator-hood-sword.png
infiltrator-hood-sword.png (139.23 KiB) Viewed 9413 times
(i also have variations of this portrait with and without the hood,mask,sword... if anyone wants them i will post them)

Comments are appreciated! :D
Last edited by The_Gnat on April 3rd, 2017, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:Here is another version of that portrait, i think it is slightly improved:
cloaked.png
Okay, here is the final version of the Infiltrator with a sword also:
infiltrator-hood-sword.png
(i also have variations of this portrait with and without the hood,mask,sword... if anyone wants them i will post them)

Comments are appreciated! :D
Neat! :D btw, you can post all versions in a zip (or any other archive) file for those who are interested
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is the full zip including an xcf with all the layers (which runs in gimp)
Attachments
archer.zip
(884.21 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

The_Gnat wrote:Bag made a pretty good celestial messenger picture and i put the female white mage on his wings
Unfortunately I don't think the orientation of the torso and the wings match. The wings seem to be full frontal, but the torso is twisted a bit; the left wing (viewer's pov) should point a bit towards the viewer, the right wing in the other direction. Maybe the wings need to be slanted a bit? Also the lowest point of the wings' V-shape seems to be a bit off-center to the right?

Regarding the combat elvish shyde: I was wondering what those red things were, until I got into the perfect position in front of my monitor and saw the wings; maybe you could make them visible a bit better?

Keep up the good work! :D
I have a cunning plan.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

nuorc wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:Bag made a pretty good celestial messenger picture and i put the female white mage on his wings
Unfortunately I don't think the orientation of the torso and the wings match. The wings seem to be full frontal, but the torso is twisted a bit; the left wing (viewer's pov) should point a bit towards the viewer, the right wing in the other direction. Maybe the wings need to be slanted a bit? Also the lowest point of the wings' V-shape seems to be a bit off-center to the right?

Regarding the combat elvish shyde: I was wondering what those red things were, until I got into the perfect position in front of my monitor and saw the wings; maybe you could make them visible a bit better?

Keep up the good work! :D
Thanks for the comments when I get time I will try to fix that!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

For the Reign of the Lords addon i made this portrait of the death knight with a sword:
death-crusader.png
death-crusader.png (160.41 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
And here is a hellstorm rider:
hellstorm-rider.png
hellstorm-rider.png (4.73 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
And here is the doom warden:
doom-warden.png
doom-warden.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
And here is the eternal lich and an archive with its animations:
eternal-lich.png
eternal-lich.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
eternal-lich.zip
(43.33 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Also i have attached an archive, i have finally added ore animations to the elvish deadeye
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

And also i have finally added animations to the elvish deadeye:
deadeye.png
deadeye.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
deadeye.zip
(30.67 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Also looking through my thread i did not see the cave runner sprite i had made so here it is:
cave_runner.png
cave_runner.png (3.28 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
Forest Dragon helped with a few of the animations:
cave_runner.zip
(16.95 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Also it seems i never uploaded a picture of the flamecaster:
flamecaster-melee.png
flamecaster-melee.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

And here is the archive of the flamecasters animations. The limit of attachments per post is five so i had to make a new post.

It is fairly large because it has standing and moving and attacking animations with its sword flaming, here is a gif showing standing flame animation:
flamecaster.gif
flamecaster.gif (6.29 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
Attachments
flamecaster.zip
(60.06 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I think the fire animation could be a bit better. Why don't you try this one? :D
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

WTrawi wrote:I think the fire animation could be a bit better. Why don't you try this one? :D

Thanks for the link i will have a look.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Its been a while since i have drawn anything but here is a quick franken-icon i just made. I am not entirely satisfied and make work on it a little harder later, but for now it works well enough.
javelin-human-fire.png
javelin-human-fire.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 8851 times
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Your undead are beautiful, however I can't tell what is going on with the doom warden.
Perhaps animation would clear it up, I can make out the skull, that is about all. :?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.