Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by Paulomat4 »

I think the thief portrait looks really good for a frankenportrait. The head looks a bit blurry though :/
Have you scaled it up? Maybe instead of scaling the head up you could try scaling the body down. That ought to preserve the quality while adjusting the dimensions.
Anyway, good work you are doing!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you paulomat4. Yes you are correct. The problem is i scaled it down to fit on the body but later i decided it was too small and scaled it up :P I will try to redo it with the original.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

I think you should change her headwear. maybe make it more red-ish, like the rest of her clothes, or maybe even try removing the headwear altogether, leaving only hair there

EDIT: also, can you show the original portrait?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, i am still working on the portrait but as forest dragon requested here is the original by valkier:
Spoiler:
Also here is a remake of the assassin sprite: (attempted to fix shoulder pad and sword)
OLD sprite
OLD sprite
predator.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
Last edited by The_Gnat on April 8th, 2017, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Also here is another quick edit i made to a portrait:
Old portrait outlaw with sword
revolutionary.png
revolutionary.png (173.36 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
and a staff alternative:
Old portrait outlaw with staff
revolutionary.png
revolutionary.png (130.01 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
Last edited by The_Gnat on April 8th, 2017, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

:shock:

*stares for another minute*

:shock:

All the stuff in your mod is free-to-use, right? Because this is a wonderful sprite+portrait!

The only problem I have with the portrait is the positioning of his sword and hands; that's how I would be holding a dagger, not a sword or staff. (I don't particularly care for his right hand either, but perhaps it is the best way to convey his disposition. I imagine him as an assassin-type unit, though he may be less inclined to violence.) But I don't know if anything can be done about that. It would be pretty tricky to find fitting hands and arms.

The sprite is not somebody I'd like to meet in a dark alley! He looks like he knows how to use that sword of his. It doesn't look like he's chewing on his shoulder anymore, but maybe you want to get a second opinion; it doesn't pop out as much in the old sprite anymore for me :oops: The TC looks great, but as I said, it might not look as good as I thought in-game. (There is one way to find out :D ) I'm not sure if the gold trim would look better. I just thought that it would be a good opportunity to add more TC.

One other thing; I convinced myself that it was a shield in his left hand with the old sprite, but (despite it not being visibly changed) now I'm not sure if it's a dagger. I'm not even sure that's your fault; it doesn't look frankensteined. It just kind of blends in with the cloak. Like I said before, black is a pain (imo) to work with, though Vyncyn still does an amazing job :)
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you for your post vulpine, everything in my era is absolutely free to use (a lot of it is from other peoples add-ons already).

Once again i agree with all your comments. In the sprite the dagger (it is a dagger ;) ) is a bit vague also i think gold work actually look better on the armour (after staring at it some more). Here is another version:
predator.png
predator.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
Also here is a slightly better version of the outlaw with the staff:
revolutionary.png
revolutionary.png (130.54 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is another portrait:
Alt with helment
armoured-bandit2.png
armoured-bandit2.png (154.78 KiB) Viewed 5108 times

armoured-bandit.png
armoured-bandit.png (161.99 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
(as you can tell my specialty is quantity not quality ;) )

And here is another!:
Old warden
warden.png
warden.png (147.41 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
Last edited by The_Gnat on April 8th, 2017, 4:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is an alternative to the portrait above:
Alternate warden
wardenalt.png
wardenalt.png (148.97 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
And here is another portrait of a very awesome looking assassin: (if i had to pick a favorite it would definitely be this)
Old exterminator
exterminator.png
exterminator.png (149.53 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
Last edited by The_Gnat on April 8th, 2017, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

(I apologize in advance if my post seems a bit disjointed and confusing. :oops: )

I like that you made the assassin's (the black one) hand (in the portrait) more readable. I just noticed that the bottom was cut off :hmm:

Replace the armored bandit's club with an electric guitar :whistle:
Seriously though, he looks like he would not hesitate to bop me over the head if I cause any trouble. The two biggest problems I see are his straps and his right shoulder piece. The straps don't connect, and even if they did, they would be different, and if you look closely the shoulder piece looks slapped on. Not sure why; maybe it's the angle, or the lighting. But other than that it's quite decent!

The warden.png portrait seems to be a cross between the ranger and the lady outlaw (Jessica) from TRoW (I am referring to the first one, as apparently you posted again as I was writing this :) )
Out of curiosity, where did you grab the body from?
The only problems; the green piece hanging from her shoulders seems cut off due to the way the original was drawn. You could probably cut it out entirely, leaving only the mask, unless it's covering parts the body doesn't, and you would get transparency?
That and a bit of detail on the strap is cut out because of said shoulder-piece.
(Ah, I just noticed the body needs some line-work to make it fit with the rest of the portrait better.)
Minor points that just need a slight touch.

The Exterminator blends together quite well! Though the slight build of the orcish assassin does not quite match the head, and some of the lines on the swords are a bit ragged. It shouldn't be too hard to go in and ink them. (Unless you meant them to be serrated :D )

You say your specialty is quantity not quality? I think your quality does not suffer despite that. (And quantity at this quality is better than a few jaw-dropping portraits with nothing else.)
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

And here is another :mrgreen: portrait:
exterminator.png
exterminator.png (163.23 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you for your posts vulpine, it was a bit hard to understand because i reposted and edited my old posts multiple times during the time you were writing (sorry about that ;) )

Unfortunately I don't really understand what you are saying about the female-ranger and am not sure it applies anymore since i have edited the post twice :mrgreen: if you could repost your idea that would be appreciated. (also the brown leather armour under the cloak i got from a portrait in the "a new order" campaign)

As for the exterminator i agree with you that the head does not quite fit, because of the build, but i am not really worried about it, however i will see if i can improve the sword.

About the armoured bandit i agree the helment/shoulder didn't look correct and i believe i have improved on both aspects with the new modification i have made to it (so that he no longer wears a helment).

As you have said the revolutionary's hand is only slightly better, and the staff still doesn't look right. But i don't think their is much i can do since i want him to hold a staff and their isn't much variety to frankenstein from.

Thank you for your feedback!
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Subtle yet effective! (edit: I just realized I wasn't very clear here. I meant the armored guy with the chainmail mask. /edit) Did you draw the bottom portion of the cloak? You may want to do something about the fuzzy outline. If it were me doing it, I'd rub the edge with the eraser tool, but maybe there is an easier way? If so, I'd like to know :D

(And after your last post again :lol: )

The base ranger's strap is covered partially by the cloth.

It had previously looked like it was abruptly cut off, due to lack of inking lines. It does indeed look better now :)
hilit
wardenalt_franken_gnat.png
wardenalt_franken_gnat.png (151.41 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
The bandit's shoulders do look less out-of-place now. Unless you are really picky, it is quite convincing!
As you have said the revolutionary's hand is only slightly better, and the staff still doesn't look right. But i don't think their is much i can do since i want him to hold a staff and their isn't much variety to frankenstein from.
Which only makes it more impressive!
Last edited by Vulpine on April 15th, 2017, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

From your suggestions i have modified the ranger:
warden.png
warden.png (147.75 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

And here is the exterminator with a smoother blade:
predator.png