Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

The Official Neorice topic.

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Hello there, I'm the artist formerly known as Neorice or Neoriceisgood.

Some of you may know me from such things as creating the entire Drakes faction & the Saurians.

Because I suddenly remembered Wesnoth was a thing, I decided to pick up my wesnoth-shaped pen one more time to contribute another unit
to the miasma we name "Open Source"; as many of my old units ended up being used in other people's factions over the years of my absence.

I wasn't entirely sure what type of unit people would most appreciate so I just went for a fairly generic all around design,
I'm sure it'll fit the thematics of someone's story or personal faction.

Anyway, I might contribute some more useful units for general use if people appreciate it.
Attachments
Without further ado, my first Wesnoth unit<br />since nearly 10 years.
Without further ado, my first Wesnoth unit
since nearly 10 years.
fighter.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 7903 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
The_Gnat

Re: The Official Neorice topic.

Post by The_Gnat »

8) nice! (Maybe an low lvl ogre or a companion you find in a hut eating porridge in a umc campaign ;) )

P.S. did u actually design the entire drake faction?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:P.S. did u actually design the entire drake faction?
he made the drake sprites we currently use
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

ForestDragon wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:P.S. did u actually design the entire drake faction?
he made the drake sprites we currently use
And the sprites before that as well, I just replaced my initial drake sprites cause I got a lot better at art since originally contributing them.

Anyway, I'm just gonna contribute batches of random unit art that are free for anyone to use or turn into units for their campaigns or factions or what not.

I'm open to suggestions but mostly just plan to do weird stuff and monster designs.
Attachments
Batch 1:<br />- straw dummy<br />- green goo<br />- porc fighter<br />- pumpkin spirit<br />- pumpkin spirit master
Batch 1:
- straw dummy
- green goo
- porc fighter
- pumpkin spirit
- pumpkin spirit master
batch-1.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

btw, your pictures have redm but should have the teamcolor magenta
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

perhaps you'd be interested in doing an seperate attack animation set for the drake sprites that will be used for when on impassable and water terrain as the drake landing on the bottomless abyss of the chasm to execute it's attack is nothing but silly.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Sadly, I find little to no joy in animation; purely in designing new units. :eng:

That being said, here's the updated batch:

some notes:

1. I kinda imagine the plague doctor would be a makeshift meh-healer who also causes status effects.
Perhaps if this not-very effective healer lands a killing blow, a zombie-ish unit arises?

2. I imagine the pumpkin spirits have leadership that specifically affects only pumpkins.

The "posessed pumpkin patch" would probably have like a 2-7 bash attack or something.

3. porcs have a lot of HP but aren't particularly great otherwise.

I imagine the ranger-looking porc can regenerate by munchin on that delicious porc chop & that the lower level ranger porc has no melee attack.
Attachments
1. chubby guy<br />2. vampire lord<br />3. troll skeleton<br />4. plague doctor<br />5. grizzly<br />6. troll brawler<br />7. practice dummy<br />8. glob<br />9-12. pumpkin spirits + posessed pumpkins.<br />13-16. porcs
1. chubby guy
2. vampire lord
3. troll skeleton
4. plague doctor
5. grizzly
6. troll brawler
7. practice dummy
8. glob
9-12. pumpkin spirits + posessed pumpkins.
13-16. porcs
batch-2.png (22.79 KiB) Viewed 7695 times
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

then perhaps you can create base sprites for an lvl4 continuation to Grand Knight, Paladin, an lvl5 continuation to Grand Mage that isnt Delfador, or provide me an raptor-like dinosaur to mount an darkelf deathlancer upon, etc. ?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Eagle_11 wrote:then perhaps you can create base sprites for an lvl4 continuation to Grand Knight, Paladin, an lvl5 continuation to Grand Mage that isnt Delfador, or provide me an raptor-like dinosaur to mount an darkelf deathlancer upon, etc. ?
Hi eagle 11 if your interested in new higher level units check out my addon The 5 Lords Reign it has dozens of new unit advancements. I haven't yet done a level 5 great mage yet but there is advances of the cavalier, grant knight (to lvl 5), iron mauler (to lvl 5), master bowman, paladin,halberdier, royal guard and the same for the dwarves , orcs , and elves! :D

To Neorice:

I like all your drawings! And am thinking about making units with the troll brawler and bear images. (Also i think if u keep making porkers we could have a new faction that poses a threat to the rest of wesnoth ;) ) You seem interested in monsters so if you would like a lvl 4 spectre and nightguant would be awesome. :D (if your not doing requests no problem though)
Last edited by The_Gnat on October 24th, 2016, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'm fine with requests, though I prefer doing new stuff over extending old unit lines atm.

1.@Eagle Here's an [unshaded] raptor, something like this work? If yes, I'll finish it up.

2. @The_Gnat Feel free to use any of em, that's what they're there for.

I think I'm done with Porcs for now though, I just wanted enough of them that they'd have the variation needed to make a fun little "mini-faction"
someone can use in a campaign for variation.

I'm actually working on a more serious faction design that I feel more invested in than porcs, see attachment 2:
Attachments
WIP for posessed toy faction.
WIP for posessed toy faction.
toys-wip.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 7653 times
Raptor WIP
Raptor WIP
raptor.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 7653 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Neoriceisgood wrote: see attachment 2:
Nice I think thats a good idea. :D Are you going to do only toys that wesnoth children might have or everything? ( if everything then some possessed musical instruments might be a good idea, like starting with a small trumpet and advancing to a huge horn or violin to a cello...)

What I'm wondering though is how did so many toys become enchanted? (Dramatic music) Was it by a dark sorcerer who hastes children? or a faerie who made alll these toys have minds so they could escape their oppression? ^_^ (just wondering if you've come up with a story for these toys)

Also I think advancements are important to every faction so if you could make advancements of these toys like biggr teddy bears or dolls and groups of more toy soldiers that would be cool. I see most of these guys as lvl 0, or 1 but toys probably can't get passes lvl 2 though anyway.

:D well theres a bunch of ideas of mine but I dont want to be annoying so take or leave any of them that you like ;) and keep up the good work!
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I was personally thinking the toys are posessed by the souls of children who died horrific deaths in the midst of wars raging in wesnoth.
Years and years of constant slaughter and fighting over villages has resulted in the rise of the army of lost children.

So here's the current line-up I managed to get done today in the attachment:

I agree that a handful of toys (most notably the teddy) would probably be level 0, though I think the toy army shouldn't be underestimated.

I think most units in this faction are quite extreme in composition, e.g. combining ridiculous weaknesses and strengths (kinda like a wose or ghost).

A few minor ideas:

1. the miniature knights would have the "swarm" ability I recall being used for that devlings faction someone made.
b. the miniatures' biggest advantage is that in any "busy" terrain type (village, forest) they'd have around 80-90% evasion.
c. In open terrain they've got around 20-30% though, and they don't move particularly fast.

2. I think the female doll has leadership even at level 1, the primary function is to turn the teddy bears into fighters on a similar level as lv1 fighters if there's a doll around.
Attachments
toys-wip.png
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Cool I like your ideas it sounds like a cool new faction is emerging! :D and from your back story I don't think the musical instruments I suggested would be appropriate :P 80/90% defense would help this faction but unless they have some magic casting units I dont see them being ever a match to the base factions. I think units of any size cast magic so why not a used-to-be toy that is now a sorcerer. It would have low life but would have a decent ranged attack to stop enemy units. I also see most of these units having the skirmish ability as well as a bunch having ambush concealment and nightstalk because their so small they hide really easily! I even think maybe theres one unit that has low life and hides Everywhere, at all times of day! (The ultimate scout) then again maybe thats a little silly ;)

Also I see some of these toys picking up stones and pebble s and throwing them at enemies. Not that powerful but a good explainable range attack

As you can tell I think your new factiom is going to be great! :mrgreen:
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Yeah such a thing could work, however its tail needs to be somewhat shorter and less curvy, the general posture of it seems alright. If it helps here is the old sprite that im intending to update.
the very old sprite
the very old sprite
lizard-rider.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Update!
The_Gnat wrote:Cool I like your ideas it sounds like a cool new faction is emerging! :D and from your back story I don't think the musical instruments I suggested would be appropriate :P 80/90% defense would help this faction but unless they have some magic casting units I dont see them being ever a match to the base factions. I think units of any size cast magic so why not a used-to-be toy that is now a sorcerer. It would have low life but would have a decent ranged attack to stop enemy units. I also see most of these units having the skirmish ability as well as a bunch having ambush concealment and nightstalk because their so small they hide really easily! I even think maybe theres one unit that has low life and hides Everywhere, at all times of day! (The ultimate scout) then again maybe thats a little silly ;)

Also I see some of these toys picking up stones and pebble s and throwing them at enemies. Not that powerful but a good explainable range attack

As you can tell I think your new factiom is going to be great! :mrgreen:

Magic is actually the big answer to how these guys can compete with other factions. while most of them aren't the sturdiest, the magic that fuels them gives them access to a few nasty abilities like life drain.
And yeah for a lot of the smaller guys high evasion + skirmish makes sense.

as I have it set up now:
toys-wip.png
toys-wip.png (247.86 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
doll line: access to leadership even at level 1, basically the backbone that makes a lot of the weaker level 0 units a lot more threatening.
Not much interesting going on at lower levels but I imagine a weaker magical cold attack.

At higher levels I expect this unit to heal in addition, making it a very strong support backbone for the toy army.

Toy horses: rather frail units with good land movement + a flimsy attack that also has charge. if they engage in combat at all "suicide missile" would be an appropriate nickname.

Miniature soldiers: low movement & bad evasion on land, ridiculously high evasion around 80-90% in forests, villages and castles.
Despite moving slow this entire line has both skirmish and ambush.

Puppet Line not 100% about this line yet, I assume they have an extreme weakness to fire and slashing though, similar to the wose.

Toy soldier/Nutcracker line Probably closest to regular infantry, ranged attack that's similar to dwarven thunderers; hard hitting but only a single shot.

Toy Infantry level up increases the number of shots, Nutcracker loses ranged attack but instead gets a devestating melee attack.

Kite Marionette:
Pathetic unit that can barely attack at all, but has skirmish and amazing movement in open terrain types (snow, water, grass etc); movement basically reduced by half by forests etc.

bear line: not very strong or sturdy, but can drain a bit of health with their hugs of DEATH. Like the miniatures I expect them to have some ambush/skirmish advantages that make it easy for them to get around and interrupt. Mostly meant to go together with the doll for extra power.

I still need to add a few level 3 stages & I need to fill in the entire kite marionette line. (a tricky one as the kite marionette's kinda in the ''intentionally hard to fight with cause the evos are really good''-camp)