Unfinished portraits

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Gnat

Unfinished portraits

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi i was looking around the wesnoth forums and saw two very good portraits which have not been coloured in. I would love to use both for new units and scenarios i am working on and thought to ask if anyone is willing to colour them in :D . Most of the work is done but i do realize this sort of thing isn't a easy task so if no one wants to that is perfectly reasonable i just thought it would be a shame to let these portraits go to waste.

This is certainly something i couldn't do :P so if anyone is willing to work on either of these in the least it would be much appreciated!

Thanks alot!
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Re: Unfinished portraits

Post by WTrawi »

Hi Gnat,

I've decided to paint portraits few weeks ago and because I love those drawings - and because I need experiences - I think I'll try to make as-good-as-possible portraits of them! :D And of course, once they'll be done you can use them freely! ;-)

They are going to be complicated because the fur and the fabric.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi thanks alot Wtrawi that would be great!!!!! :D Also i was thinking, you don't have to if you don't want but the top picture of the slyph seemed like a good one to use as the portrait for a celestial messenger instead,
I dont know if you want to but if you wouldn't mind making it look kinda like a white mage instead of traditional elf-green that would be cool!!

Thanks alot though i look forward to seeing the pictures!!
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I must warn you that I work reaaalllly slow.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

WTrawi wrote:I must warn you that I work reaaalllly slow.
:lol: no problem, i look forward to see the portraits!
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

The_Gnat wrote:I look forward to see the portraits!
I have really bad news for you: I tried to make portraits from your sketches, and they seemed too hard for me :-( I'm really sorry and I promise that they are going to be done, but not now. I need to practice drawing both on paper and in digital. Hope you understand me.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Wtrawi, thats no problem at all! Its not anything urgent and if I tried to do it, it would look aweful/never be finished ;) so if you do decide to do them again at some point that would be cool but if not no worries! Wesnoth is supposed to be fun not a hassle :D
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Hi, I thought I'd give coloring the portraits my best shot- assuming WTrawi doesn't mind- but don't expect anything very good; I am a beginner at digital art, and have almost no experience. I also have a hard time selecting a decent color palette.

I also had a couple of questions before I started;

I couldn't quite figure out what #1 was supposed to be... If you don't know yourself, just come up with something; it's easier for me that way :whistle:

#2: Is this fur, or just torn cloth? At first glance I thought it was fur, and I think WTrawi did too, but looking closer it looked more like tattered cloth.

Anyhoo, I'll get started, and if WTrawi would rather be the one to produce a finished product, I'll refrain from posting the results; I kind of feel like I'm taking over his project, yet at the same time, I want a finished product available to use at my leisure :whistle:
Attachments
slayercopy.png~question1.png
slayercopy.png~question1.png (126.23 KiB) Viewed 6562 times
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello vulpine, i think that WTrawi has stopped work on these portraits for now so if you would like to color them i think that would be great! :D

I think #2 is just tattered cloth. And #1 i believe is extra cloth from the mask covering his mouth, probably used to tie the mask in place.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Ahhh! That had me perplexed as to how to advance.

What do you think of the color schemes so far? I noticed the mainline orcs could be said to be done completely in brown (Given a very few exceptions) and I tried to copy this color scheme, but... boy is it hard. I may also have to start the whole thing over, and do something about all the extra lines at the same time...

About the sylph, I'm not sure the colors are quite right. The skin and hair looked fine to me (if you want it slightly different that's fine), but the clothes and wings are bothering me. I'll have to figure out how to do white clothes. Assuming you want it to look more like a celestial messenger that is. And if that is the case, I'll have to do something about the wings... (Like learn to draw :lol: )
(And the crown thingy on her head could pose a slight problem. I'll focus on working around it for now.)

Like I said before, I am no artist, and have very (emphasis on very) little experience. Even if my final product is sufficient for your purposes, WTrawi could probably do better, and when he does produce his version, you may want to use his.

EDIT: I just took another look at the orc, and the cloth behind his head finally made sense! Ugh. It's annoying how that happens. I'd been looking at it wrong the entire time.
Attachments
sylph-celesmes~colorpalette.png
slayercopy.png~colorpalette.png
slayercopy.png~colorpalette.png (95.38 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, both portraits are looking really good! :D

Sense the time when i created this topic i have found a portrait for the celestial messenger so you can color the sylph however you thinks looks best. Currently i really like what you have done and it is already starting to look alive!

The orc is looking really good also. I envision him as a unit similar to the assassin and slayer. But i have never liked the mainline slayer's portrait because it is red and i think this will be much better! It as is a very good drawing so it is going to look very intimidating. 8)

Thank you for taking time to do this!
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Vulpine wrote:About the sylph, I'm not sure the colors are quite right. ... Assuming you want it to look more like a celestial messenger that is.
I just saw this thread. I don't think a Celestial Messenger color scheme makes any sense (just going by the wings); but I also don't know where those white dresses come from for the sprites of three of the higher faeries...
I have a cunning plan.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

The_Gnat wrote:Hello, both portraits are looking really good! :D

Sense the time when i created this topic i have found a portrait for the celestial messenger so you can color the sylph however you thinks looks best. Currently i really like what you have done and it is already starting to look alive!

The orc is looking really good also. I envision him as a unit similar to the assassin and slayer. But i have never liked the mainline slayer's portrait because it is red and i think this will be much better! It as is a very good drawing so it is going to look very intimidating. 8)

Thank you for taking time to do this!
Glad to hear!

The sylph was relatively easy because all the lines were fairly sharp. The only trouble I had was finding the right colors, and finally did it with some tweaking that I don't really understand well enough to explain :lol:

I agree about the orc; it is a wonderful drawing. Battlestar I think it was? Not too sure. The only problem is the shading was done with a pencil, so I'm going to have to erase all the extra lines in there, or at least find a better way to shade them, and learn how to use the tools in GIMP properly :hmm:
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great and I look forward to seeing your progress!
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Sorry for taking so long to update. The lines were tough to figure out. Currently the lines are a bit thick. I intend to thin them with an eraser, but if anybody else knows an easier way, I'm all ears :lol:

Other than that, it is ready for shading. The sylph is coming along. I'm tracing the existing lines to change their color before shading.
El Orc
Almost ready for shading!
Almost ready for shading!
slayercopy~colored.png (90.24 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
EDIT:

Here is the Sylph.
Sylph
All prepped for shading.
All prepped for shading.
I changed the color of her dress; I think it is two separate pieces.

I also cut off the extra lace on her left sleeve... It was bugging me. If she's lobbing fireballs, one would think she would want as little floaty flammable material near her hands as possible :lol:

Are there any other changes you want for either picture? It will be easiest to change them now rather than after I start shading, and color changes aren't much trouble.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]