Unfinished portraits

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Developers, Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Re: Unfinished portraits

Postby The_Gnat » April 8th, 2017, 3:31 am

Yes i use gimp also, but i don't do much with shading or 'actual' drawing. I only use the free-select-tool to cut parts off of some portraits and paste them onto others :whistle:

I also find the eraser very helpful :P

Considering you have only been working on shading for such a short time you have done a great job! :D
The_Gnat

Postby beetlenaut » April 8th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Vulpine wrote:and my trackpad
Any artist will tell you that it's really hard to get good results with a mouse, but I've never heard anyone even mention a trackpad because the idea is just absurd. You are probably hurting your work (and the development of your skills, if you care) by using such a poor tool.
Campaigns: Dead Water
The Founding of Borstep
Secrets of the Ancients
beetlenaut
Developer

Postby Vulpine » April 8th, 2017, 8:49 pm

I truly appreciate your concern. But I am doing this for fun, not because I think I can do these portraits the justice they deserve. If I do, that's a bonus!

Besides which, if I had one of those electronic doohickeys that people draw on with electronic brushes, I would have to learn how to use it, and I would rather learn how to use actual physical brushes etc. instead, especially after watching Chill with Bob Ross :)

You are probably hurting your work (and the development of your skills, if you care) by using such a poor tool.

Just out of curiosity, what aspects of my work and skills am I hurting? I know little about drawing, (and can barely draw convincing stick figures), and it doesn't hurt to get as much knowledge out of this project as I can :)

EDIT

I got a little bit more done. Namely,
I changed the shirt color.
slayercopy~shading3.png
slayercopy~shading3.png (58.83 KiB) Viewed 257 times

Probably should have asked before finishing the arm, but I can probably just reverse the process I used to get the colors back to what they were.
What do you think of the new color? Could it use a bit more brown? Do you think the green was better?

I will get around to the hair eventually (and possibly the skin as well), but it is probably going to be the last thing I do on this portrait. I want to finish everything else, and take my time figuring out how to emulate the illusion of hair. A rather daunting task for me :)

@beetlenaut (I'm trying to fix my poorly-worded post here :oops: ):
First off, I did not sketch this portrait myself, but you probably know that already. I'm stating this mostly for my peace of mind.
Now, I would never have dreamed of getting this LoD a month ago. In my opinion I have progressed quite well (considering my skill level), as far as shading goes. Admittedly, being able to shade without having a sketch to color in doesn't do me much good. But I don't ever expect to put enough time into drawing to be any good at it.
As to hurting my work, I honestly don't see how. It's not like I can do any better with an e-brush, even if I had one :)
Currently the only way I can imagine it hurting my skill development is not knowing how to use proper tools (which includes not being able to use any of the features they provide, and making it harder to do continuous lines (and working on larger areas at a time), among other things), but I can't see myself using any of the stuff I learn in the foreseeable future. :(
So, I guess I can see how it would hurt my skill development, but that wouldn't really affect my work at this point?

Again, I truly appreciate that you went out of your way to try and help me, but I don't fully understand, and would like to.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
Vulpine

Postby The_Gnat » April 14th, 2017, 10:42 pm

:D Sorry for not posting sooner. But i really like the brown on the shirt it (in my opinion) is a definite improvement. However, i personally do not think it matters whether you want to draw brown or green both will look very good! Also the lines (folds) you have drawn in the shirt give it nice detail. Also i think it is good to wait and do the hair and skin once the portrait is shaded. Then i think it will be easy to see what color looks best with the hair!

Again great work!
The_Gnat

Postby Vulpine » April 15th, 2017, 9:41 pm

The_Gnat wrote::D Sorry for not posting sooner.

Not to worry! Probably just as well, since I hardly got anything done.

Zamburrgryvnääzdaz- haz ẅrüẗḧäkh abgruz
slayercopy~shading4.png
slayercopy~shading4.png (152.04 KiB) Viewed 182 times

As you can see, what I have accomplished needs more work. The shirt in particular is going to be tough for me to capture, and I'll want to put a few more folds in the pant leg, then add detail (dirt, wrinkles etc.) to make it more realistic. I'll also have to clean up the knives' lines a bit before shading them. Then the rest of the cloak and everything else I've been meaning to do.

Just so you know where I'm at.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
Vulpine

Postby The_Gnat » April 16th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Yeah it definitely needs more work but I really like where it is going, and he certainly is starting to look like a assassin! 8)
The_Gnat

Postby GunChleoc » April 19th, 2017, 3:31 pm

beetlenaut wrote:
Vulpine wrote:and my trackpad
Any artist will tell you that it's really hard to get good results with a mouse, but I've never heard anyone even mention a trackpad because the idea is just absurd. You are probably hurting your work (and the development of your skills, if you care) by using such a poor tool.

I'm curious why you think that a trackpad is so much worse than a mouse. I personally think it actually sucks somewhat less.
GunChleoc
Translator

Postby Vulpine » Yesterday, 6:58 pm

In case you were wondering, I haven't been involved in any tragic accidents, and am still working (albeit slowly) on the orc.

Oẗhbääzäkh yuth grohzuburyyrv gorzbääzäkhryvgröḧḧwög
slayercopy~shading-4.5.png
The brown is kinda painful with the black background...

The brown sticks out on the black background a bit too much for my liking, but I'll fix that later, as it probably requires little actual work and I like procrastinating :whistle:

I've been working on the lines so they aren't quite so obvious, and so that the detail isn't quite so muddled.

I'm eventually going to have to adjust some of the lighting effects to get a consistent light source, though I'm not sure whether I should do that sooner or later...

At my current rate, I wouldn't expect it to be done for a good long while :oops:
Vulpine

Previous

Return to Art Workshop