New paintings of WTrawi

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Re: Daily paintings of WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Yes, that's a definitely good idea, thank you! :D But I meant a specific thing like a battlefield or mountain etc.
Maybe before that I should draw some weapons and start landscapes after that.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

WTrawi wrote:Yes, that's a definitely good idea, thank you! :D But I meant a specific thing like a battlefield or mountain etc.
Maybe before that I should draw some weapons and start landscapes after that.
good idea :) practicing metal shading could be a good art exercise
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I've not posted anything since a long time, but I'm working on my first battle axe, so hopefully, I can post it tomorrow :)
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

WTrawi wrote:I've not posted anything since a long time, but I'm working on my first battle axe, so hopefully, I can post it tomorrow :)
are making a portrait-sized battle axe?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Well, a bit smaller than portrait-size.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

WTrawi wrote:Well, a bit smaller than portrait-size.
ok
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Here's the halfdone axe:
Attachments
Halfdone axe.jpg
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I could not finish it, because I was learning all day, but tomorrow...
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Whoa, you are getting better and better. I'm proud of you. :D
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Thank you, Krogen :mrgreen:

The battle axe seemed extremely hard to me, so I'm not going to finish it soon. :-(
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Can you help me out with a few advices for the axe please? :D
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The larger, front blade is clearly pointed towards me and off to the left, with the light coming from behind the weapon. The smaller blade is clearly pointed towards me and off to the right with the light hitting the front of the weapon. If it's looking wrong to your eye, that's why.

The two blades join into one more-or-less flat piece of metal, so the light reflecting off that face should be a more-or-less single color. It can't be dark gray in the front and white in the back. I would suggest that you find a reference, but I know you won't.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I would suggest that you find a reference, but I know you won't.
I DID (I don't like prejudices) look on other's paintings AND PICTURES before drawing that, but it didn't help as much as I wanted. However, I'll fix the smaller blade and try to finish it again. Thanks for the advice :)
Last edited by WTrawi on December 1st, 2016, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Maybe you just don't understand what I mean by "reference". I don't mean that you should look at other people's pictures before drawing because, yeah, that won't help. I mean you should find or take a photo of the object in the same position with light coming from the same place and copy it! You should be drawing while looking back and forth between your image and the reference trying to make them look more-or-less the same. You are still learning how light bounces off an object, but if you had copied a photo, you would have done it right without having to figure out how it should look on your own, and you would have learned something.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Alright, alright. Then, I'll find an image and paint a copy of it, OK?