Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
White_Drag0n

White_Drag0n's art

Post by White_Drag0n »

Hello everybody.

I've been trying to figure out how to draw something sort of an undead wyvern or drake. My first attempts weren't too bad, but I was forced to resize them to fit wesnoth angle (and redraw the sprite because quality dropped into potato). So far it looks quite good, but I wanted to ask you for opinion before making flying animations.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I'm also not sure which color palette should I use. The first one is my original pick, the middle is from a mainline skeleton, and the one furthest to the right is from a skeletal dragon. Currently I like the green one the most, but I'm afraid it doesn't look 'boney' enough, as I intend to make another sprite with a zombie-ish vibe to it. :hmm:

Either way, I'd really appreciate to hear your opinion on this matter.

Cheers ;)
ForestDragon

Re: White_Drag0n's art

Post by ForestDragon »

cool! to be honest, each palette looks promising enough (maybe the different palettes can be used as variations (like walking corpse))
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi White_Drag0n,

The bottom row looks better as far as perspective, they are less "fly-swatted". To be honest, these don't look like undead, they look, aside from the heads, a bit like plants or insects (which could be a pretty cool idea, if you went that way). If you want a more skull-like appearance, make the eye-sockets and nasal cavities more visible. The two curved spines(?) on the back are a bit hard to read, what are they?

That's my take on it, for what it's worth. These aren't bad for a first attempt. :)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

Sorry for late response. I didn't have much time for pixel art lately and didn't wanted to make a post with no content.

Now that I think about it, their wings do look quite similar to leaves, and when turned upside down the drake looks like almost like a palm tree. I don't really see it working as a BfW unit though. The idea gives me a goofy pokemon-like vibe, and considering the size of one hex, there is propably no use for leaves of such scale.
The insect idea seems really good, and this sprite could make a good base for a giant dragonwasp or something of the kind. I'd have to change the head and make wings transparent. I'll propably try that in the future.

As for the two big sticking out bones - I didn't feel like making a normal spine, so experimented a bit with the design. Eventually, there could be a rider attached to the unit, holding the front bone and sitting on the other. Other than that, there is no reason for them to exist.
I also tried to slim them down a bit and got rid of the flesh between their bones. I think they look better now, although they seem incapable of flying. Maybe they can get used as a decoration for some graveyard? :hmm:
beast2_skeleton_new3_alt1.png
beast2_skeleton_new3_alt1.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
beast2_skeleton_new3_alt3.png
beast2_skeleton_new3_alt3.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
beast2_skeleton_new3_alt4.png
beast2_skeleton_new3_alt4.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

the perspective definately improved, btw, how about making the tail more curved towards south (the current shape looks a bit too straight), so, if you are into making skeletons of various otherworldly dragon-serpent-wyrm-things, then here are a few tips i can come up with:
1.look at modern skeletal dragon for example, you might learn a thing or two
2.google 'dinosaur bones' or something
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

No no no, reaching the skeletal dragon's complexity is definitely not my goal. :) I think there are many places I can look for inspiration at, but as for now I'm quite satisfied with their state.

Meanwhile I made some weapons and pieces of armor. Tell me if you find any of them particulary interresting. Also, feel free to use them if you want to. ;)
Attachments
b_various.png
b_various.png (2 KiB) Viewed 4606 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

cool! it can be an addition to the franken-pack (look at the forums) what most interested me is the scythe-flail-thing (it has a different name, but i forgot it) if i remember correctly, one of minotaur faction's unit lines uses it, though yours looks a lot better. also, minor critique: the triangular shield is way too triangular (it doesn't look like something that you can easily deflect vertical sword blows with)
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

Wow, dude! You're fast as a lightning when it comes to your responses. :geek:

I don't mind if these resources will get added into a franken-pack. I've got my own ideas about where to use them, but I believe there are people who can make something much better out of them.
My scythe is propably too small for a minotaur to use, but the size should be just fine for a 2-3lvl human. At least thats what I aimed at. It shouldn't be hard to shorten it or make it longer, though. And with the shield you are propably right. I guess I'll have to remake the shading again. :annoyed:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

White_Drag0n wrote:Wow, dude! You're fast as a lightning when it comes to your responses. :geek:
haha :lol: , well, i know the struggle of waiting for feedback, so i try to make sure other don't feel that much of it ^_^

I don't mind if these resources will get added into a franken-pack. I've got my own ideas about where to use them, but I believe there are people who can make something much better out of them.
White_Drag0n wrote:I don't mind if these resources will get added into a franken-pack. I've got my own ideas about where to use them
interesting. continue from this point :geek:
White_Drag0n wrote:My scythe is propably too small for a minotaur to use, but the size should be just fine for a 2-3lvl human. At least thats what I aimed at. It shouldn't be hard to shorten it or make it longer, though.
well, i wouldn't mind having an optional advancement with such a weapon (btw, i am the creator of a large extended-mainline era, and when you make the sprites, there is a possibility that i will include it ;) )
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

So, there we go - the sickle scytheman unit is ready to see the daylight. He is open for critique, too.

Edit: Ssshh, nobody noticed. ;)
Attachments
Propably a lvl 3 unit
Propably a lvl 3 unit
b_sickleman2.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Altered the skin color a bit
Altered the skin color a bit
b_sickleman3.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Last edited by White_Drag0n on July 8th, 2016, 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

White_Drag0n wrote:So, there we go - the sickleman unit is ready to see the daylight. He is open for critique, too.
nice work over there! :D so are you going to make a lvl2 for it? about critique, i don't see any extremely obvious mistakes, about palettes, it's tough to decide once again.

and btw it's not a sickle, sickle is this:
sickle.png
sickle.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
keep it up, and you'll gain the rank of an Art Contributor ^_^
EDIT: btw, how about using some of your art as your avatar? (that skeletal wyvern-thing will do the trick)
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

I tried to make a lvl1 unit for my era, but it seem to look really off. I don't even know what to fix first. Any help?

Made two versions because I'm not sure how big should the head be.
Attachments
b_pal1.png
b_pal1.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
b_pal2.png
b_pal2.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

White_Drag0n wrote:I tried to make a lvl1 unit for my era, but it seem to look really off. I don't even know what to fix first. Any help?

Made two versions because I'm not sure how big should the head be.
well, about head size, i guess something a bit bigger than the first, but smaller then the second will do
i think the unit's palette is waay too monotone, the arms are nearly the same color as the armor, if what you are making is an orc, look at grunt line, you'll see what i mean
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

The arms are actually exactly the same color as the armor. Because they are, in fact, armored too. The unit is actually supposed to be a human paladin squire, something of this sort.

I actually looked at the heavy infrantryman, but it's so much better it's not even comparable. :I
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

If you want to make his arms armored i suggest to make them brighter/shinier, like the helmet.

About the scytheman: You should propably rework the proportions. Head and torso should be about the size of the legs, or a bit taller. Right now his upper body seems absurdly large in comparision to his legs. Unless he is not a human, then his proportions should be fine i suppose.