Sliver faction Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bedna337

Sliver faction Art

Post by Bedna337 »

Here is the art for a faction I have been working on for my first era, the Slivers. Slivers live in hives and constantly evolve to survive in any environment. They are based on the Slivers from Magic: the Gathering, but aside from the names, they look differently.

I don't have much experience in pixel art, so I ask for critique. What do you think about it?

Of course, there will be many more units, not just these, but I haven't made them yet. They will be posted once complete.
Attachments
Sliver Faction.png
ForestDragon

Re: Sliver faction Art

Post by ForestDragon »

not too bad,here is some critique that might help:
1.fighter line's wings might need to have more shades of color, and maybe try making their armor different from mainline Swordsman and changing between levels (maybe make it natural (aka something like snail, or turtle shells))
2.larva's head doesn't seem to be held by much, and the shape looks too much like a bird :hmm:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Bedna337

Post by Bedna337 »

Thanks!

I changed the Fighter line armor to more scale-like and reworked Larva's head. I also added Scout advancements, but I'm not sure if the Magma sliver is red enough to be distinguishable. The Galerider with its two pairs of wings should be easily recognized.
Attachments
Sliver Faction.png
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, feedback round 2:
Magma Sliver:dont worry, his wing shape makes him distinguishable enough
Sliver Fighter line:lvl1:remove the shield lvl2-3 transition: 1.they don't really change much, other than color 2.it looks strange that lvl2 is red, and lvl3's color is way closer to lvl1, so maybe make the current lvl3 into lvl2, while make a new, distinguishable lvl3 (aka point 1)3.good kob on making them scalier, but you still might need to change the overall shape of armor a tiny bit, since even after that tweak, there is still a pretty recognisable swordsman armor
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Bedna337

Post by Bedna337 »

I changed the Battle sliver's hands - it now has claws instead of scythes. It is also a level 3 and a new unit, the Sliver warrior, fills the empty lvl2 place.
The Fighter's shield is now more hexagonal - I did not delete it completely, because there is now a new line advancing from the Fighter, which has shields and will serve a similar purpose to Dwarvish Guardsman or Heavy Infantryman.
The shoulder plating of the Fighter and all of his advancements is now a bit bigger.
I'm not very good at drawing hands. Any tips to make them more realistic would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I know the Guardian line shadows are too small. They will be changed soon.
Attachments
Sliver Faction.png
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, another piece of feedback:
arms:shield line:i think having the fingers outlined makes them look a bit messy, and too human-like, and the arms seems too fat near the hand, compared to the rest of it, and the arm that hold the shield.You should aim for making the claws more like blades, and not humanoid hands (one large blade per arm, like drake fighter line, or a few more.btw, Sliver Warrior's claws look a bit too thin, and straight)
fighter line and opt. as whole:you should:1.make the armor or at least helmet (at least like grundshaker, but probably more) change shape at least a bit (not only color and weapons)2. the scythes might need to have more shades of the color used (they look a bit monotone)
evolution sliver:maybe add some advancements for it
shields:i like them, they look like those hexagonical things inside beehives (i don't know how they are called in english :| )