wind-storm.png
wind-storm.png (9.06 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
hammer-dwarven-runic-green.png
hammer-dwarven-runic-green.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
fangs-snake-sand.png
fangs-snake-sand.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
blade-nf-poison.png
blade-nf-poison.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
ForestDragon

Re: ForestDragon's Art

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, some more things:
1. i took bear rider made my kwandulin, put away the dwarf/reins, and now we have a wild bear :) [ecological_message] #Down_with_Animal_Cruelty :mrgreen: :
don't put those fat dwarves on these poor bears, save nature
don't put those fat dwarves on these poor bears, save nature
bear.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
[/ecological_message]
also, here are some fallen forest spirit portraits:
Spoiler:
Signalman (peasant with a torch):
Spoiler:
male gold mage (someone already made a female version, so i only had to do the male one :) )
Spoiler:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, so i decided to go from 'recolor/copy-paste' to 'non-from-scratch pixel-art' and decided to tweak the old great ogre sprite used in MwC as lvl4:
ignore the floating bracelet thing, i'll fix that
ignore the floating bracelet thing, i'll fix that
great_ogre-old.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
you can't say no to these striped pants :D

old, stripeless one for comparison:
his pants look ugly without those TC stripes
his pants look ugly without those TC stripes
great_ogre-old.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
i am slowly starting to put a bit more effort in my art (the stripes were quite a challenge to draw)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, so, i found a black/white picture of a bear while googling 'copyright-free front bear photos/images' and recolored it and made it into an attack icon for Dwarvish Bear Rider line:
ram-bear.png
ram-bear.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
some darker variations:
ram-bear2.png
ram-bear2.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
ram-bear3.png
ram-bear3.png (6.25 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
ram-bear4.png
ram-bear4.png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
ram-bear5.png
ram-bear5.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
as you can see, i am starting to slowly abandon my former style of '1.25/2 hearted frankens/recolors' to more of 'pixel-art edits of existing images'
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, so i found this sprite in OoA (made by sleepwalker):
vizier.png
vizier.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
and i decided to give the unit a few color variants:
vizier-red.png
vizier-red.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
probably my favourite
probably my favourite
vizier-green.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
vizier-purple.png
vizier-purple.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
i know that all i did was just some minor recolors, but hey, it's nice to have a few variations (the nobility could definately afford some fashion variety when it comes to silk :) )
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

missing: fabulous pink.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Eagle_11 wrote:missing: fabulous pink.
here, not sure if this is the color you wanted:
vizier-pink-ish.png
vizier-pink-ish.png (3 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, so, as Paulomat4 pushed me to, i decided to try my guts at making something from scratch:
i think it might look a bit more like a UFO than a slime :)
i think it might look a bit more like a UFO than a slime :)
slime.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
well, it might seem a bit crappy, as well as the fact that Heindal made (or found somewhere) something like this himself, but hey, first tries are usually crappy anyway. well, i hope i get more feedback, now that i decided to slowly move on from frankensteining to from-scratch pixelart.

also, here is a version with a few items put inside :) (i know it's frankensteining, but hey, why not? :) :) ):
slime-items.png
slime-items.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
EDIT: well, the UFO-ish-ness of my slime inspired me to make a spacecraft which is just a plain recolor of the slime:
oddly enough, this UFO's color palette reminds me of something related to my country ;)
oddly enough, this UFO's color palette reminds me of something related to my country ;)
spacecraft.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

It's good for your first tries, but I have some advice if you want to continue to work on the slime.
It looks like the light is coming from right (bottom right corner too bright). Might be better with the standart north-east lightsource.
If you feel confident, add some more contours, the current ones are hard to read. This might be intended, but the shading difference between the layers is too hard, while the thin lines are hardly noticeable (It's a bit better on the UFO).
Take the mudcrawler as example. You don't have to copy it, but studying his shading might help.
kurt751

Post by kurt751 »

ForestDragon wrote:ok, so, as Paulomat4 pushed me to, i decided to try my guts at making something from scratch:
Too regular (and too tall) I think. It's the perfect roundness which gives it the UFO look. Slime would look more like a viscous puddle.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:It's good for your first tries, but I have some advice if you want to continue to work on the slime.
It looks like the light is coming from right (bottom right corner too bright). Might be better with the standart north-east lightsource.
If you feel confident, add some more contours, the current ones are hard to read. This might be intended, but the shading difference between the layers is too hard, while the thin lines are hardly noticeable (It's a bit better on the UFO).
Take the mudcrawler as example. You don't have to copy it, but studying his shading might help.
kurt751 wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:ok, so, as Paulomat4 pushed me to, i decided to try my guts at making something from scratch:
Too regular (and too tall) I think. It's the perfect roundness which gives it the UFO look. Slime would look more like a viscous puddle.
ok, so i made a more 'non-perfectly-shaped' version (i made it lean a bit to the east, added a few parts sticking out, and gave it some TC eyes):
slime2.png
slime2.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
the old UFO-ish one for comparison
the old UFO-ish one for comparison
slime.png (2.35 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
btw, i made a franken Dwarvish Boar Rider (might need a different unit for the rider, the scout looks somewhat placeholder-y):
boar-rider.png
boar-rider.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I think the board Rider looks really cool!

For the Slime thingy, i think the the different colors gradients are too far apart from each other. Maybe you could try make them more similar to each other. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

The boar could use a bigger belly, but otherwise it's pretty impressive.
Slime looks more interesting now, but I agree with Paulomat4. It look too much like it's build in 3 different layers. Either use more colours or change the shade of the darker colours.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:The boar could use a bigger belly, but otherwise it's pretty impressive.
well, the boar was made by a fellow with the nickname 'Mechanical', but yeah, i guess the tamed boars should be better fed than their wild counterparts because of the fact that dwarves are feeding them. here is a version with a bit fatter belly:
boar-rider.png
boar-rider.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
EDIT: made an extra outline, since the front leg seems to have fused with the belly :P :
boar-rider.png
boar-rider.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Vyncyn wrote:Slime looks more interesting now, but I agree with Paulomat4. It look too much like it's build in 3 different layers. Either use more colours or change the shade of the darker colours.
something like this, maybe?:
slime2.png
slime2.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
Anyways, it's nice to have more feedback than when i made franken-art :D
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I was thinking of making the dark colour brighter instead of the other way round, but it looks a bit better now.
i noticed a different problem though. Your slime uses a lot of shades (more than you showed in the pallette on the left)