Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: ForestDragon's Art

Post by beetlenaut »

zookeeper wrote:Giving her a thumb would be a good start.
Also, the finger that's in the front needs to be in the back. The finger second from the front needs to be second from the back and so on. You could probably do that just by changing the lines.

You should hold your right hand up like that and look at it, too.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

zookeeper wrote:Giving her a thumb would be a good start. As it is, she simply doesn't have one.
does this fit?
faerie-sprite.png
faerie-sprite.png (228.24 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Does that fit what? Sure, she kind of has a thumb-like appendage in that rather disfigured hand. Clearly the anatomy is still bonkers.

When you know that you can't draw something right from memory, don't. You don't need to. Google for "hand reference", find a suitable image, copy it and rotate/scale it into place, and then use that as a guide.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I agree with zookeeper, the elf looks impressive but the hand is contorted.

If you look at the hand of the mainline sorceress, unfortunately this is the wrong side but it might help create a better perspective
Spoiler:
Similarily this is the right direction, but not quite the right size
Spoiler:
Hopefully this helps :D

EDITED to not clog up the thread
Last edited by The_Gnat on February 25th, 2017, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

zookeeper wrote:Does that fit what? Sure, she kind of has a thumb-like appendage in that rather disfigured hand. Clearly the anatomy is still bonkers.

When you know that you can't draw something right from memory, don't. You don't need to. Google for "hand reference", find a suitable image, copy it and rotate/scale it into place, and then use that as a guide.
i googled it, but sadly, i didn't find any hand reference with the intended pose. btw, could someone make a quick outline on the portrait of how the thumb should be?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

ForestDragon wrote:i didn't find any hand reference with the intended pose.
Assuming you have a right hand, you can take a picture of it to make your own reference. And what did you search for? "hand reference" turns up thousands.
hands.jpg
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, thanks for showing me good examples! i'll edit the portrait
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i think i am slowly, but surely learning my lesson. i made the thumb look a bit more believable, and made 1 finger not shown to fit the perspective a bit better, i also rotated the remaining fingers too. EDIT: darkened her sleeve a bit
just to make the post not too big:
btw, now that i am spending so much effort into a portrait for just one unit, i could make a campaign starring a faerie as a protagonist (not 100% sure though)

EDIT2:made a portrait for the lvl2 (this time the left hand is where it's supposed to be :) ):
just to make the post not too big:
kurt751

Post by kurt751 »

The second one's hands look good (right one (her right one) is maybe a little small).
In the first one the hand is still a little off: Thumb should be a little thicker, and all the fingers a little longer (about a fingernail's length).

BTW, the wings of lvl1 look a little too small to me. Not that they need to be aerodynamically accurate, but they should be more imposing. I'd suggest to make them a little bigger (go all the way to the upper picture border) for lvl1, and to make them the top wings broader for lvl2 (for it doesn't look like the same type of wings lvl1 has). They should have the same shape, and while there is a perspective thing going on, it isn't obvious.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Very nice! :D I might have to add a unit to my era to use these portraits ;)
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

It is a nice illustration, but the parts of the left hand and arm are a little unnatural.
I drew a rough sketch of arm, but will it be helpful?
Spoiler:
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IIIO_METAL wrote:It is a nice illustration, but the parts of the left hand and arm are a little unnatural.
I drew a rough sketch of arm, but will it be helpful?
Spoiler:
looks very good! i'll edit it accordingly

btw, i decided to improve the militiaman (the first sprite i ever posted on this thread)
militiaman.png
militiaman.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
old one for comparison:
militiaman_old.png
militiaman_old.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
archive file with all the animations (and the baseframe) for the new militiaman:
militiaman.7z
(20.54 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

since i noticed that there has been some talk about the possibility of having Dawarf (easter egg unit from Under the Burning Suns) removed, i decided to save the poor creature by adding it to TGA. so, to do that, i improved Neoricegood's dawarf image by adding some TC to it, and gave him a custom melee attack icon:
dawarf.png
dawarf.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
fist-dawarf.png
fist-dawarf.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I tried a new militia. Sounds good. Since it has a shield, it matches also the portrait.

There is one proposal. I also want old graphics to be left as variations. The reasons are as follows.
When I made this unit appear in my own campaign, I made it a soldier to protect a small village.
If there is a variation unit in militiaman, the following expression can be made in the campaign.

"Small village vigilant army can not secure enough equipment." "We are short of equipment, only lucky people have complete equipment." "There are people who do not have shields. Some fight in casual wear. "

By the way, I want to replace the graphic of the unit I use in my campaign with this new graphic. Do you allow it?
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IIIO_METAL wrote:I tried a new militia. Sounds good. Since it has a shield, it matches also the portrait.

There is one proposal. I also want old graphics to be left as variations. The reasons are as follows.
When I made this unit appear in my own campaign, I made it a soldier to protect a small village.
If there is a variation unit in militiaman, the following expression can be made in the campaign.

"Small village vigilant army can not secure enough equipment." "We are short of equipment, only lucky people have complete equipment." "There are people who do not have shields. Some fight in casual wear. "

By the way, I want to replace the graphic of the unit I use in my campaign with this new graphic. Do you allow it?
feel free to! :)