ForestDragon's Franken-Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ForestDragon

Re: ForestDragon's Art

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:I was thinking of making the dark colour brighter instead of the other way round, but it looks a bit better now.
i noticed a different problem though. Your slime uses a lot of shades (more than you showed in the pallette on the left)
well, i made the shades using the 'darken' tool, btw, so, you want me to make the dark shades even darker?:
i gave it a third eye to make it look more alien-ish
slime3.png
slime3.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
version with a sketch for a mouth (might possibly make a bite attack animation once the sprite is finished :) ):
slime3b.png
slime3b.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

ForestDragon wrote:well, i made the shades using the 'darken' tool, btw, so, you want me to make the dark shades even darker?
The opposite. I think the slime would look better if make it brighter, but it's just a personal preference. Third eye looks nice btw.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:well, i made the shades using the 'darken' tool, btw, so, you want me to make the dark shades even darker?
The opposite. I think the slime would look better if make it brighter, but it's just a personal preference. Third eye looks nice btw.
well, here is an in-game screenshot (zoomed 10 times to make it look clearer):
Spoiler:
EDIT: here is tiny bit different colored variant:
slime3b2.png
slime3b2.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
old one for comparison:
slime3b.png
slime3b.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
kurt751

Post by kurt751 »

The mouth looks a little silly IMHO; A slime would just wrap around its prey and digest it.
Eyes are good though.

For the color, you should add highlights to make it look wet and, well, slimy.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

You are getting better with that slime monster, now need to eliminate that lighting coming from top as if standing under an spotlight.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Take a look at the mudcrawler and how it is shaded. It also looks very slimy. I think you should make the color less saturated too: at the moment, the sprite in the screenshot kind of looks like it is part of a different game than the other units.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi forest dragon nice slime monster! :D (he should definitely have a concealment-in-swamps ability!) Looking through your art topic I like you work! I dont know if you do requests or not but I saw you've done some attack icons and was wondering if you could make a dagger on fire for a new dwarvish unit I'm making. (btw really liked all the new units added in the newest golden age release!)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:Hi forest dragon nice slime monster! :D (he should definitely have a concealment-in-swamps ability!) Looking through your art topic I like you work! I dont know if you do requests or not but I saw you've done some attack icons and was wondering if you could make a dagger on fire for a new dwarvish unit I'm making. (btw really liked all the new units added in the newest golden age release!)
thanks :) well, if you want a fire dagger, well, how about these three options? (i prefer the first, but i put the other two just in case):
dagger-human-fire.png
dagger-human-fire.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
dagger-human-fire2.png
dagger-human-fire2.png (4.42 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
dagger-human-fire3.png
dagger-human-fire3.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome :D thanks alot forest dragon the first one is perfect! and thanks for the quick response! I'm planning on using the fire dagger for a alternative advancement of the dragonguard (who is basically a fire master) your attack icon willl work great thanks!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi everyone! so, i haven't posted anything here in quite a while, so here are some attack icons i made!:
sand_spear-1.png
sand_spear-1.png (7.68 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
dagger-gnoll-dual.png
dagger-gnoll-dual.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
sword-curved2.png
sword-curved2.png (5.46 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
icons.png
icons.png (31.37 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
icons.png
icons.png (31.37 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
Attachments
fist-cadaver.png
fist-cadaver.png (7.85 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome!! I especially like the sand spear and sword curved 2 and that glowing yellow ruby staff!

Great work! :D
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi everyone! so, i recently got back to working on The Golden Age, so i made some improved versions of faeries from there (these will be added to TGA in the next update):

firstly, i improved the fallen faeries. i made their hands a bit smaller, made the lvl1 a bit shorter, and changed the lvl2's dress:
fallen-sprite.png
fallen-sprite.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
fallen-faerie.png
fallen-faerie.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
secondly, i added some TC to autumn faerie, and gave her more floating leaves
autumn-faerie.png
autumn-faerie.png (4.99 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
and last, but not least, i improved the domain protector (the helmet was made from scratch):
domain-protector.png
domain-protector.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
critique about his helmet would be appreciated
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i decided to give the domain protector a heavier armor
domain-protector.png
domain-protector.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
kurt751

Post by kurt751 »

ForestDragon wrote:critique about his helmet would be appreciated
I'm not sure about the red crest-like thingy, but maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be. At first glance it looked to me like he's not wearing any helmet, like he has silver-white hair and a red sausage on his head!... :mrgreen:
I think it needs some more detail (in shape? In color? Both?) to make the helmet stand out as being a metal helmet and not just hair. As for the red crest (if indeed it is a crest), it also needs some detail to make its shape more obvious. Maybe by making it higher, so it can't be mistaken for a cylindrical shape? Adding a more defined highlight to make the geometry more obvious?

Wait for some others to chime in though, for I might be the only one who sees it that way.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

kurt751 wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:critique about his helmet would be appreciated
I'm not sure about the red crest-like thingy, but maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be. At first glance it looked to me like he's not wearing any helmet, like he has silver-white hair and a red sausage on his head!... :mrgreen:
I think it needs some more detail (in shape? In color? Both?) to make the helmet stand out as being a metal helmet and not just hair. As for the red crest (if indeed it is a crest), it also needs some detail to make its shape more obvious. Maybe by making it higher, so it can't be mistaken for a cylindrical shape? Adding a more defined highlight to make the geometry more obvious?

Wait for some others to chime in though, for I might be the only one who sees it that way.
well, i added darker lines to the helmet. i hope you can see it more clearly now:
domain-protector.png
domain-protector.png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 5395 times