Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dronal-d

Dronal-D Art Dump

Post by Dronal-d »

Hello, UMC creators,

Not sure how long I'm going to have with this computer, so I thought I'd dump some of my art.
Some of this stuff is recognisably alterations and frankenteining of others' work. I'm not looking for any credit.

If you have any feedback or critique on anything here. More than welcome. I've still got time to make changes.

Orignal and frankensteined portraits:
Spoiler:

More coming soon...
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Re: Dronal-D Art Dump

Post by Dronal-d »

More original portraits from my own campaigns:
Spoiler:
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

More portraits:
Spoiler:
You'll find the last unit in the attached zip file. The zip file contains our mustacheoed, golden-locked hero (LordBob's mainline loyalist fencer) in a variety of roles. Should be perfect for RPG creators! (ehm, like me).

Mages:
Mage, Red Mage, Arch mage, White Mage, Mage of Light, Siver Mage, Arch Mage, Necromancer, *Wild Mage, *Twilight Mage

Soldier:
bowman,longbowman,master bowman
spearman, swordsman,pikeman

Outlaw:
Outlaw,Thief,Thug
Attachments
hero.zip
(3.39 MiB) Downloaded 529 times
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

Some units:
peasant+female.png
peasant+female.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
female_peasant.zip
(11.84 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
undead-horseman.png
undead-horseman.png (3 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
The unit code if interested.
Spoiler:
skeletal_horseman.zip
(15.85 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

Here's my baby. Treat him well.

Level 1:
segger-stand-01.png
segger-stand-01.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
Level2:
white_knife_anim.gif
white_knife_anim.gif (29.3 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Level3:
spymaster.gif
spymaster.gif (5.07 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Images and unit files.
Twilight_Mage.zip
(420.46 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
(Remember all image paths need to be changed for your UMC.)
The Failing Line UMC
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Great job with the portraits! my only complaint is with the undead HI, even though its minor. I feel it looks too much like you spray painted dirt all over his shield and armor. I suggest that you keep it on the large, flat surfaces, but try and paint it into the grooves of where the armor plates meet (on the shoulder and under the arm).

Again, the sprites are of very high quality. The helmet on the undead horseman looks a little to big for his head, but it might be just me. Maybe you should try shrinking it down. Also, the legs on the spymaster are too skinny, and he reminds me of a moth :mrgreen:. But hey, I don't know what you're going for, so it may be perfect the way it is. Definitely keep on with the art.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

DeCoolest_Cat wrote:I feel it looks too much like you spray painted dirt all over his shield and armor. I suggest that you keep it on the large, flat surfaces, but try and paint it into the grooves of where the armor plates meet (on the shoulder and under the arm)
That's exactly what I did. You'e absolutely right, the method looks obvious. I think it's because the mud is the same colour/shade all over, even in shadows. I'll have another go.

Thanks for the encouragement! :D
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

I think I'm at the limit of my knowledge here. Tweaked bits and pieces to make the muck on his shiny armour seem a bit more random:
Spoiler:
The Failing Line UMC
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Looks much better. The dirt definitely looks more real. And if I am seeing correctly, you added scuff marks as well. If that's what those are, nice touch. Some chinks or dents in the armor might look nice. You could possibly add a death blow, maybe a deep cut or break in the armor. This is a good improvement.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

That Twilight Mage is incredibly good. :shock: It looks amazing and the movement looks also pretty good to me. Keep on drawing, I want to see more :lol:
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

DeCoolest_Cat wrote:Some chinks or dents in the armor might look nice. You could possibly add a death blow, maybe a deep cut or break in the armor.
Death blow sounds awesome. I think if I was using the unit more (he appears only once in the massive rpg I'm making), I would definitely spend more time on him. However, if someone else was making say... an undead campaign where you needed one unit that was awesomely powerful against other skeletons and had a bit of story.... yup.

Elvish_King wrote:That Twilight Mage is incredibly good. :shock: It looks amazing and the movement looks also pretty good to me. Keep on drawing, I want to see more :lol:
You have absolutely made my day.

I hope Elvish never leaves the building.
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

Various items.
items_sample.png
items_sample.png (68.3 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
Some recolours. Some original. Some of these appear to be just flips/rotations of others' work (from the umc creators pack?) - they are - but the shadows have been completely redone.
hook-icon.png
hook-icon.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
pickaxendrope.png
pickaxendrope.png (5.84 KiB) Viewed 6373 times
Attachments
all_items.zip
(295.33 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
The Failing Line UMC
Dronal-d

Post by Dronal-d »

Some story art.

It's slightly infuriating to look at the orc picture, because the spearman is holding the shield all wrong. The peasant's left hand is odd, too.

I think I might have a go at fixing it right now, but let's just say here is version 1.
Spoiler:
Yeah, there's quite a lot to fix in all of these, contrast, etc.... They are about 4 years old.
The Failing Line UMC
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

man,... your art is AMAZING!!! ^_^ , my personal favourites amongst these are:
1.braziers
2.spymaster
3.hero (aka, fencer variations)
4.undead HI
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

My favorites are the female Peasant and the Spymaster.

A tip with your portraits:
don't frankenstein them. There are a lot of things people could point out regarding the technical side of your portraits and I will leave that to them but it is my feeling that however much you could improve your technical ability (already far beyond my own!), you are evolving your own style. For your UMC this is a great thing and I think that your portraits look really good. The problem comes in when you mix your own style with mainline style.
I love frankenportraits but in your case I'd suggest you practice drawing more portraits.
If I had the time to work on my UMCs instead of all those other things I'm too busy with, I'd definately consider trying to persuade, coerce or blackmail you into doing the portraits for me.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.