Skeptical_troll's abominations

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
skeptical_troll

Re: Skeptical_troll's abominations

Post by skeptical_troll »

Ok, I think I agree that the swinging movement to (our) left is the problem. I wanted to cheat a bit to make a wide arc, but that's definitely not realistic and a great waste of energy a sensible warrior would certainly like to avoid. I'll let the axe crush down as it should.

Shading, gem, cloak and polishing will be last thing I'll do after I'm sure of the movement.

Thanks!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i agree, the attack should either be entirely vertical, or entirely horizontal
keep up :D
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
skeptical_troll

I found the time to re-sketch the axe attack of the dwarf, which looks more reasonable although I'm not 100% happy with the cloak's movement. Shading to be fixed, of course.

I also quickly made another unit, a dwarvish 'torch bearer' , a lvl 1 with a specific tactical function (you may guess which one). He's clearly the dwarvish fighter's cousin: I took that sprite, removed shield and axe, gave him a toarch, a safety helmet, a brand new leather jacket and restyled his beard. I guess this is what people call a 'frankenstein sprite'?. Happy to hear comments, his helmet looks a bit too simple to me
Attachments
torch_bearer_defend.gif
torch_bearer_defend.gif (2.14 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
toarch_bearer.png
toarch_bearer.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
dwarf_guardian_attack.gif
dwarf_guardian_attack.gif (10.42 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yeah, that's a lot better than before.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i like your torch bearer, to be honest, it doesn't seem too clear that it's a franken at a first glance (and that's a really good thing), maybe you should give him an attack anim and a standing anim (like most torch wielders in Archaic era, aka flame moving (maybe look at their flame for reference or just plain frankenstein it)) dwarf guardian's anim looks better indeed, and if you want fancy cloak movement, just reuse the cloak movement from you magic placeholder
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

It looks great, but the fire brings it down (for me anyways). With only 2 colors, it looks very flat. It would looks much better with a standing animation, but it's not necessary.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

exactly what i was saying
skeptical_troll

DeCoolest_Cat wrote:It looks great, but the fire brings it down (for me anyways). With only 2 colors, it looks very flat. It would looks much better with a standing animation, but it's not necessary.
Yeah, I copied the torch as it is in the goblin pillager, but I agree it could use more details, a standing animation and possibly some transparency? It shouldn't be hard to do. I wonder if it is possible to add sound to standing anims, I could put the same as the campfire.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yep. it is possible, but i think you shouldn't do it because if there are more that one of these guys, then it would be REALLY,REALLY annoying, and will block the music
skeptical_troll

My first ever attempt on story art. Show no mercy! A very generic underground passage with runic directions. I'm reasonably satisfied for a first go, but the cave beyond the bridge doesn't look great, and the light of the torches may seem a bit too yellow?
Attachments
cave.jpeg
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, I'm just an amateur too, but here's my take:
1. Maybe you should put some sort of border or detail on the edge of the path so it doesn't look like some sort of odd snow-drift.
2. A ledge on the right side of the cave lip, where the path doesn't quite line up, would also help. The "not lining up" is a fine detail, it just needs more work.
3. Lastly, I think the cave should be darker and less detailed, it has sharper detail than almost anything else, which is odd since it is farthest away.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
skeptical_troll

Hi Doofus, thanks for your comments! I worked a bit more on it trying to follow your suggestions plus other tweaks. What maybe wasn't clear is that the path is not the floor of a cave but a bridge on the void till the gate to access the next cave. With the new modifications it should be clear now.
Attachments
cave_001.jpeg
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

That looks much better. The ground could use more noise or texture, maybe you just haven't gotten to that yet. The stones & cracks lining the pool in the foreground would look better with higher contrast, unless there is supposed to be mist coming off the water. If there is supposed to be mist, you might want to exaggerate it more to make it obvious.

For story art, remember that there are going to be words getting in the way at the bottom, and I think it matters a lot on the resolution how much they will cover, so don't put anything too important near the lower foreground.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SFault

Post by SFault »

From the first small image I thought there was a cloaked figure standing on a cliff. Maybe you should put more texture on the lit cave walls to avoid this. Also it seems the walls make the light disappear very quickly. You could try to have same lighting range on the floor also. :hmm:
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
skeptical_troll

Ok, I tried to increase the contrast of stones and adding a shade gradient to the floor, I think it looks better now. I added some texture/features as well, but probably still insufficient. Drawing cobbles could be a lot of work, I was hoping to pretend that it's just really dusty and smooth :whistle:

I also added few features to the entrance, not sure if the 'cloaked figure' effect is gone. It will probably depend how big the figure will appear in the story screen.
Attachments
cave_002.jpeg