DeCoolest Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
DeCoolest_Cat

Re: DeCoolest Art

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Just some new recolors of Sfault's old werewolves. Wanted to make something quick and this was the result. The last three aren't really changed much, but I wanted them that way for a project I'm working on.
Attachments
werewolf-horror.png
werewolf-horror.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
werewolf-behemoth.png
werewolf-behemoth.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
werewolf-terror.png
werewolf-terror.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
werewolf.png
werewolf.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
Dybinkin

Post by Dybinkin »

The horror werewolf is too darkly.He needs more blending of light and shade.
Other werewolvs are normal.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Finally redid those portraits from like 2 months ago. This is the rough draft I've done so far. I know the right ear is incomplete, comment on the left one. How does the shading look (especially at the bottom)? Do the colors mix well together? Added old version for comparison
Spoiler:
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

good work there :D those sure look a lot better, i like the color, it seem more bear-alistic :lol: (pun)
i also made a version with more visible hair, just to give you ideas:
Spoiler:
EDIT: transparent background edition:
Spoiler:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I know I haven't made much progress on this, but I feel I need a bit of help on the shading and fur. I've made a quick sketch of what I think the next step is, but it isn't great. Beetlenaut, if you don't mind, could you share your thoughts, as you commented on the fur before. As stated previously, this is a sketch.
Spoiler:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I do want to say that this is quite a bit better than your first version, but it could be better. I looked at a picture of a polar bear face, and noticed two things about the fur that makes it look different than yours. First, it has lots of colors, and very little white, while your picture is almost all white. You have a couple small blobs of rather dark colors, but you should not be scared to use a lot more. Take a look at LordBob's yeti for another example. Second, the fur points in all different directions, not just down. That's what my black arrows are showing. Even if your bear is supposed to be shaggier, like a grizzly bear, that will still be the case. If it is supposed to be shaggy, look at the way the artist drew the shaggy fur on the wolf rider and direwolf rider.

(The yeti fur would also be good to try to copy, but I'm sure LordBob made his own paintbrushes that allowed him to paint lots of parallel lines all at once. That may not be possible with the paint program you are using. Definitely not if it's still MS Paint.)
Attachments
polar.jpg
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Another quick post. This time just some frankensteins for a 2 scenario campaign. The mace head is off center, but is it noticeable enough for an attack animation? Will fix it later but I'm too lazy right now :P
Attachments
ogre-breacher.png
ogre-breacher.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
ogre-breacher2.png
ogre-breacher2.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
ogre-breacher3.png
ogre-breacher3.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Finally finished (I hope) the polar bear portrait. Unluckily for me, my computer is still unstable and therefore I can't use the forums or my art creator. So if there aren't any major flaws that need changing (I'm unsure about shadows), then can someone make the background transparent? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
image.jpg
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

you keep improving, nice! oh, and here is the transparent background you orderer, and i anlso converted it from jpg to png (every wesnoth picture uses thst format anyway):
Spoiler:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Thanks a lot ForestDragon. I'll probably make another, but maybe not.

One of the two grizzly bear attack animations is complete. Finally (I feel I say this too much). I'm not writing the code, because there are some issues with the shadow, but I'm not fixing it until I get more feedback.
Attachments
gb-attack1.png
gb-attack1.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
gb-attack2.png
gb-attack2.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
gb-attack3.png
gb-attack3.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
gb-attack4.png
gb-attack4.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
frames 5-6 repeat
frames 5-6 repeat
gb-attack5.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Here is the gif
Attachments
grizzlybear-attackgif.gif
grizzlybear-attackgif.gif (12.17 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hmmmmmmmm... he needs to stand up even further (how do you think he is going to attack from such a low height :lol: )
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yeah, that is a very small motion for an attack. Bears attack like this:
Attachments
grizzly-bears-fighting-wallpaper-1.jpg
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I should mention that this animation is for the "bearhug" attack. I imagined that the bear would come crashing down on the enemy, not claw him to death. That would be the "maul" attack, which I haven't animated yet.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Well, he doesn't look like he's "crashing down" either; more like petting his enemy. He should still rear up all the way before coming down if you want it to look bear-like and powerful. It sounds like you are going to have to do some frames of the bear standing up for the mauling attack, so use them for this one as well.

When he hits the ground, all his muscles should ripple and bounce too. That's just cut-and-slide stuff, so it shouldn't take too much time. It's important though, or it looks like he hit a pillow.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide