Mechanical's art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mechanical

Re: Mechanical's art

Post by Mechanical »

Inferno8, thanks. I adore the Era of Magic and TLU since childhood, you are my favorite addon creator. Your feedback motivates us to develop further)

doofus-01, thank you. Sometimes I get inspired by your art.

The work on Ogre continues. I have now drawn part of the slinger line. He advanced to flamethrower or butcher. In the future, I will draw a third version of the promotion to the hunter with a sling and a spear.
Attachments
slinger.png
slinger.png (13.87 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
My art thread
If you like my art, try The Great Steppe Era!
Also try my Rage (16+) drakes slasher campaign!
Join the Wesnoth Modders Guild community!
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

The slinger line is ready. I abandoned the idea of a hunter with a spear and drew improved battle slingers.
Attachments
slinger.png
slinger.png (21.37 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
My art thread
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

The work is ongoing. A new branch has been added to the grunt line. Now grunt can become a slave trader's assistant, then a bodyguard, or the slave trader himself.

Slavers are a special social group in Ogre society. They trade with humans, so their assistants and bodyguards have unusual swords and iron armor for ogres. You will learn more about this in the project I am preparing (if I finish it).
Attachments
grunt_line.png
grunt_line.png (22.13 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
My art thread
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Another new sprite is woolly bull. These are huge animals that ogres graze in the steppe. Ogre shamans use these creatures for their rituals.
Attachments
pasture
pasture
bulls.png (163.71 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
bull.png
bull.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
My art thread
ghype

Post by ghype »

Much apperciation for these sprites! The new one you use for your profile picture looks especially well made.
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

ghype, thanks!

I'm still working. Today I finished drawing the shaman line and added lvl 2 for the bull.
Attachments
shamans.png
shamans.png (15.6 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
bulls.png
bulls.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
My art thread
ghype

Post by ghype »

Hey man, these Bulls look amazing,
maybe for the bigger one, maybe one or two ornaments on the horns could make it stand out a bit more comparing to the lv1. Some of the Grunts seem well ornamented, hence it could make sense visually as well.

Also, did you consider calling them maybe "Tauroch" instead. Or are Tauroch limited to the After The Fall era?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ghype wrote: November 18th, 2020, 1:29 pm Also, did you consider calling them maybe "Tauroch" instead. Or are Tauroch limited to the After The Fall era?
Well, the era he and I are working on isn't really set after The Fall, so the bulls are just bulls.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
ghype

Post by ghype »

ForestDragon wrote: November 18th, 2020, 2:33 pm
ghype wrote: November 18th, 2020, 1:29 pm Also, did you consider calling them maybe "Tauroch" instead. Or are Tauroch limited to the After The Fall era?
Well, the era he and I are working on isn't really set after The Fall, so the bulls are just bulls.
Fair Enough.

On a side note, the face of the bottom lv3 Shaman is kinda hard to read. I mean I can see clearly that it supposed to be some rugs of cloth pieces dangling over it's face but it feels a bit off. Otherwise still very nice.
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

The draft version of the fraction is ready. This is the Bull tumen, a horde of steppe ogres who worship the bull demon. You will see this faction in the era that we are preparing with ForestDragon. The beta version is coming soon!

All sprites will be updated in the future. There's no time for that right now. You can say that what you see now is a pre-version. I will be glad to hear your opinion about the appearance of the faction! :)
Attachments
faction.png
My art thread
ghype

Post by ghype »

Impressive!

they are quiet detailed and ogres really needed more units. I was about to mention the size of the sprites, but then I realized that they are ogres and I suppose ogres can get about that big.

I also quiet bone thing. That unit line has to be elaborated a bit more lore-wise to make it "fit".
Could they be considered partially necromancers?

on a side node, I really do look forward to see them in ageless era. If that is not a yet planned, it would be considerable as its the most of player base go to era compilation.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ghype wrote: December 4th, 2020, 5:16 pm I also quiet bone thing. That unit line has to be elaborated a bit more lore-wise to make it "fit".
Could they be considered partially necromancers?
Lore-wise, the floating bull-skeleton-demon thingies are made by the bull shamans draining a bull's blood, then throwing the dead bull's skull into a cauldron of the blood in a ritual.
ghype wrote: December 4th, 2020, 5:16 pmon a side node, I really do look forward to see them in ageless era. If that is not a yet planned, it would be considerable as its the most of player base go to era compilation.
Interesting idea. Me and Mechanical will consider this option (most likely after the beta though).
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
ghype

Post by ghype »

ForestDragon wrote: December 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm Lore-wise, the floating bull-skeleton-demon thingies are made by the bull shamans draining a bull's blood, then throwing the dead bull's skull into a cauldron of the blood in a ritual.
Interesting, I am just thinking of whether they could fit the expanded Irday south of the sandy wastes or not.
See, we discussing a lot of possible factions and they relations to each other while we also agreed that ogres are under represented in the northern parts (wesnoth). Depending on what stage of lore you guys are and how well they fit, these ogres could have a guest appearance in a future dunefolk campaign if one might wanted to.

This post, while not the latest, is the most recent summarize of such discussion. It tells you a bit about the current stage of agreement regarding the relation between all those factions. You can see a spot marked on the map which is reserved for ogres as well, but that can be changed to anywhere else. One thing I want to highlight of that resume is that factions that can be encountered in the more desolated places such as the dunes or desserts, can also live in tribes - they do not have a fully developed society like wesnothians.
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

Answered in a PM.
My art thread
Mechanical

Post by Mechanical »

My new art is a line of desert Nagas. In the new faction (which I'll talk about later), they will play the role of commanders and heavy infantry.
Attachments
nagas.png
nagas.png (11.52 KiB) Viewed 897 times
My art thread