Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Aldarisvet's sprite whitesmith

Post by beetlenaut »

Yeah, his sprite looks better in general, but it looks too similar to the ghost for my taste. I wanted something that looked very different, but I wouldn't mind at all if someone improved it. I was mainly talking about the name here.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, i like yours too
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Conserning Minor Ghost, I deliberately made it so way, in the name and the picture, so it would be absolutely clear for the player that this level0 unit would advance to mainline Ghost (however I decided later that for my purpuses I will not use undead so that was for nothing).

I like making half-custom units, they half-UMC, half-mainline and it is clear what they mean. Also I like making level0 units.
Now look at this. The first sprite was made by Mechanical for the Silver Age Project. I will use it as level0 sea snake. Also I needed that unit to advance in so way that it would be clear that it is unit of mainline level2 Sea Serpent line (with same movement and defence characteristics). So I needed some transitory unit for level1, something that would look both to Mechanical's work and mainline unit. And I made it (second sprite). Cool that Mechanical made also his serpent with rings as alternative image, so I used it for my purpuses, resized it to make it bigger and frankensteined with mainline Sea Serpent. Now I have the full line from level0 to level2.
serpent1.png
serpent1.png (9.59 KiB) Viewed 7019 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

nice job! to be honest, i love your frankens, and even used some in my era (Battle Mage line,Saurian Visionairre,mounted Monawish)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

ForestDragon wrote:nice job! to be honest, i love your frankens, and even used some in my era (Battle Mage line,Saurian Visionairre,mounted Monawish)
Pleased to see this. I am looking in Wesnoth units database, funny to see my sprites within unit's lines. However database stopped updating, cant see Battle Mages/Visionairre there. I downloaded your Era, now I see saurian faction, but not battle mages.
Btw you should use another (not red colored) base sprite for the Pilferer, that can be taken from the A Whim of Fate source. I put there files that still not used myself in the campaign, but only planning to use in Chapter 3.
Also in your era I can see a mistake in shaman line - she has not 'heals +4' ability, at least in the database.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on June 21st, 2016, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

umm, i added Battle mages 20 minutes ago (when i said it before, i meant in the unrealeased folder)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Your sprites have definitely got me interested! I like how you took different pieces from diffrent sources but combined them perfectly and even made animations for your units. I really salute the amount of work you put behind your lv 0 units (making animations for frankensteined units ain't easy, i know)

I would love to playtest your campaign and give u my feedback if u want me to. I just finished playing Fate Of a Princess and gave my feedback on that. I need something to help me spend the weekend and your campaign might just be it. A Whim of Fate is the one you are making these artwork for right ?
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Sudipta wrote: I would love to playtest your campaign and give u my feedback if u want me to. I just finished playing Fate Of a Princess and gave my feedback on that. I need something to help me spend the weekend and your campaign might just be it. A Whim of Fate is the one you are making these artwork for right ?
Sure!!!
Hey, that would be a gift for me that I even despaired to get.
Yes, I badly need any sort of feedback for my campaign!
For now I am working for Zombies:Introduction that is going to be a prequel mini-campaign for AWOF, then I going to return to Chapter III of AWOF.
Concerning a feedback, Chapter I looks relatively balanced and got some feedback, but I have no idea how others plays Chapter II, it is more tactically complicated. Actually I had thoughts that I should give direct tactical hints in mission objectives.
Sudipta wrote: I like how you took different pieces from diffrent sources but combined them perfectly
Thank you, that exactly what I am trying to do. I will never became an artist, but I have growing database of all sprites in my memory (wesnoth units database helps really greatly but also I dig in art workshop much) and trying to marry even small parts, sometimes I feel that they are destined for each other.

Fresh example of my approach.
hag_example.png
hag_example.png (6.57 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
A Hag for a second scenario of Zombies:Introduction that I am doing at the moment. Base frame is Cunning Woman from... I do not remember the original faction, Golden Age for example (checked it, it is orignally from 1.10 Wesband MP campaign). Head from doofus's Female Thug and a magic fire from Witch Doctor from Ageless Era (as you see I do not even bother myself to draw a little magic fire).

Now that unit with full animations. A hag would attack with melee (cold) (magical) fire, she would not have ranged attacks.
As you can see while attacking blue fire becomes bigger, while defending it becomes smaller.
hag-full.png
hag-full.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 6912 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

oh my, Aldarisvet, i can safely say that you are the perphaps the best franken-artist right now, i 100% undestand your way of thinking, i kinda take the same approach at my art too (also, btw, what program do you use?, i am asking because you said in the battle mage that you had to redraw it pixel-by-pixel, i use GIMP, it's kinda complicated, but it's very useful if you get used to the stuff you need, just asking)

also, some feedback-
1.melee-1 is also pretty fitting for a ranged attack (well, it can be used for both anyway)
2.maybe add a small swoosh to melee-2, it would be a nice touch, otherwise it looks like an alrernative baseframe, rather than attack anim :hmm:

also, i hope you won't mind if i use this unit in The Golden Age as an optional advancement for Cunning Woman, btw, can you post individual frames, not in a large single image pls?
Aldarisvet wrote:sometimes I feel that they are destined for each other.
i 100% agree
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I still using paint.net. About swoosh, yea, I will add it, thank you. About advancement, do what you like. In my scenario, however, It would be just level1 unit, that Hag would recruit level0 spiders, snakes and little mouses rats (this recruit list reminds we a song 'Gaia' of Tiamat band, Wildhoney album).
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

then add it faster :) , also, yeah, i like the idea of an old hag that summons wild animals (reminds me of something, yet i am not sure what :lol: )
EDIT:also, when you post frankens, post same images as the example with hag (a=b+c+d), i love it
Aldarisvet wrote:I still using paint.net.
well, you probably should at least have gimp installed, you know. i use it a lot, and to be honest, if you want some more advanced options (remeber the trouble recoloring battle mage line, in gimp, you can select same coloured pixels, and there even is a brush option that changes color, instead of just painting over it)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Another one sprite for a female hero for the second scenario of Z:I.
Cup_Girl.png
Cup_Girl.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
She called a Cup Girl. A Cup Girl is no more that an assistant of a Hug. Her role is to wield a big cup which is used by the Hug to make different potions. A Cup Girl is level0 unit that have no melee nor ranged attacks. But she have and ability called 'Healing water'. With this ability she can heal surrounding units and also herself for 4 hp per turn. To say simply, she have both (heal +4) and (self-heal) abilities. Yea, both in one cup.

Now how I got it. Base frame is a mix of artisticdude's peasant girl and homunculus's peasant woman from here - http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 95#p527026
And for the cup initially I took a cup of Duelist and used its colors (thats funny, to take a sword's cup to make an ordinary cup). Since I do not know how to put shadows and lights, I just chaotically tried this and that, looking on the result and repixeled it again and again before I got what I needed.

And also I have a portrait of this Cup girl. Actually I am going to use a portrait of Isuelde from Bad Moon Rising. With just a little modification.
edited_isuelde.png
edited_isuelde.png (85.7 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
As I see from the files, she is a waitress, and in the original picture she is adding something like poison to the cup (as I can guess because I was not able to reach that stage of the campaign where she appears). Really the only good portrait of peasant-like woman for now from all I saw. Russian comminity found her very hot btw. But in my version she would not be a waitress, she is a perfect Cup Girl.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

great work! btw, can you PLEASE release the second scenario for Z:I already?! :shock: :shock: :shock: (that was an attempt to make anime-ish eyes :lol: )
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

ForestDragon wrote:great work! btw, can you PLEASE release the second scenario for Z:I already?! :shock: :shock: :shock: (that was an attempt to make anime-ish eyes :lol: )
Not so fast. First I need zombie variations for spiders, snakes and rats.
Here is a zombie rat I made compared with original one, aside from changing color, I tried to show that it's paws, tail and ears are damaged.
I am not going to animate this because I do not think it worth it, and moreover, I will not do soulless variation. That zombie would be quite weak, if original rat have 15 HP and attacks 2-4, that zombie should have 10 HP and attack 2-2 I think.
Attachments
giant-rat_zombie.png
giant-rat_zombie.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

looks good, i have nothing to say about it