Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dugi

[UMC] Level 4 ghoul

Post by Dugi »

Hello,

While procrastinating for finals, I've made some graphics that could once become a level 4 version of Ghoul, something to advance from Ghast, for my campaign or some other add-ons (ChaosRider would surely take it into his stuff). I long felt that ghouls were somewhat neglected in my campaign.

Ghast had more maws when compared to Ghoul, so I followed the trend of adding more maws and making it less human, I added some tentacles with mouths for increased scariness, removed legs because they were too human and made it float to add some unearthliness.

I wonder, is this thing good? I am not asking about the visual quality, but rather about the concept (I see this as concept art rather than portrait). Is there something easily changeable that could make it more scary?

Xalzar

Re: [UMC] Level 4 ghoul

Post by Xalzar »

While the concept could be good per se, in my opinion the most scaring peculiarity of Ghouls is that something human still remains after the terrible ritual which have corrupted them.

Your concept is too "alien" IMHO, and I can't imagine a so drastic transformation between the Ghast and its level 4.
I would imagine perhaps even more people merged in the monstrous body (Ghast is obviously composed of at least 3 bodies or parts of them), so many heads and toothed mouths, and multiple clawed arms and legs.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Good point.

My idea was that the additional mouths grew long necks to be able to bite from distance and the body, no longer able to support the weight was removed. But as you said, it made it look too alien.

I'll try to add atrophied arms and legs protruding from its body and some additional limbs and eyes with no order like Bleeding Death from Brütal Legend. I'll post it when I am done.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Okay, done. The head now looks like two deformed bodies fused together and each tentacle looks like a deformed body attached to the rest.

Version 2 is here:
johndh

Post by johndh »

The latest version is too cluttered in my opinion. I don't think adding more tiny parts is the way to go (they'd never show up in a sprite anyway), but maybe just making it more distorted, bloated, etc.

Here's an example that came to mind: http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=260
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I agree with Xalzar. It might be an interesting monster, but the basic concept seems more appropriate for a sea-monster or space-alien than a humanoid-derived undead horror. The newt limbs on the second version furthers that impression. I'd think there needs to be some significant recognizable portion of it, even if it no longer has a recognizable head or symmetry.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Dugi: You got any animations for it?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Following doofus-01's advice, I have made it look more like a disfigured human. Now it's not floating, it's bipedal. The upper mouth became some sort of deformed head with some sort of nose and eyes, the belly mouth remains, the eyes became nipples.
johndh wrote:The latest version is too cluttered in my opinion. I don't think adding more tiny parts is the way to go (they'd never show up in a sprite anyway), but maybe just making it more distorted, bloated, etc.
Is it more bloated now? Maybe some sewing marks on it, parts of yellowish skin or oversized skin hanging down could improve it?
iceiceice wrote:You got any animations for it?
Not yet. I don't think it's a good idea to add animations to something whose shape is not decided yet.

New version:
Attachments
This is how it looks when resized to the size of a sprite.
This is how it looks when resized to the size of a sprite.
miscreation_sprite.png (8.66 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Well, as for me its too plasticine (also its still looks like alien, if you creating next level image you cant forget to make it somehow similar to lower level of this unit)... I made a quick sketch for a 4 lvl of ghoul:
Spoiler:
If someone wants feel free to improve it - or add more faces with teeth at this next lvl body.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The small thing I posted wasn't a suggested sprite, it was just the former image shrunk to see how much could be visible on a sprite (I don't plan to create sprites like that unless I wanted to create a race of aliens that would look totally alien). The sprite will be created when the concept becomes suitable and less alien (does it still looks that alien?).
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

:shock: :D I love it, I want that in my house!
It might look a little funny considering you've done it in a totally different style to the mainline Ghoul, etc but seeing it was one of the best things which happened today so far.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
VanHelsing

Post by VanHelsing »

It's been three years, how time flies! Cannot believe dugi you are still on the forum :D
There’s a special providence in the fall of a sparrow.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:It might look a little funny considering you've done it in a totally different style to the mainline Ghoul, etc but seeing it was one of the best things which happened today so far.
This technique is easier for me, but it's a bit too different, as you said. However, I think that it should not be a problem for add-ons' art.
VanHelsing wrote:It's been three years, how time flies! Cannot believe dugi you are still on the forum :D
My presence is more and more casual these days, but I am not gone. Who are you? You've forgotten your username or password?

I tried to add some disfigurement. But I found it surprisingly hard. Adding pieces of hanging skin to this thing is uneasy. But I managed to add some parts of differently coloured skin and stitch marks, so it should be better now. I think I can't do much improvement anymore.

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

What the hell is that thing? It looks awesome, nightmarish and horrendous! :twisted:
I really like that menacing look on his face...or faces :hmm: . Keep up the good work, Dugi. :D
Suggestions:
1. Replace some of those 'mouthed' arms/tentacles with pincers (really ugly looking ones) to enhance the horrifying effect.
2. Add a third leg or maybe a spider-like lower body to balance the upper body weight.
3. Name the unit as "Monstrosity"/"Abomination." :P
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Thanks.

1. A problem with pincers is that it would look less human and according to others, less scary.
2. Same for spider-like body. Furthermore, animating a spider-like body would be too time-consuming. I have no idea how might it walk on three legs, but it already have hands growing out from its knees.
3. Those were the two names I was choosing from. Monstrosity or Abomination? That is the question.