Post by Cuspman »

Orcs is my favorite faction :doh:
I create new orcs spritesdrawn from zero
New bowman Image
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: New Northen Sprites

Post by thespaceinvader »

Thanks, but no thanks. Please read the sticky threads. Moved to the Art Workshop.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I think that the problem that caused the instant reject is its absence of shading.

How to do the shading:
For each pixel, compute the dot product of the direction of incident light and normal of the object at that point. If the two vectors are normalised, you'll get a value between 0 and 1. Darken it according to this value. 0 is black, 1 is the original colour, others are something in between. The dot product is easy to compute, if the two vectors are normalised it's simply the cosine of the angle between them.
If you want to make some parts shiny, find the pixels where the normal vector of the object, the vector of incident light and the normal of viewing plane are roughly coplanar and the angle between the normal of the object and the normal of the viewing plane and the angle between the vector of incident light and the normal of the object are similar. Tint them brightly.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dugi wrote:I think that the problem that caused the instant reject is its absence of shading.
That’s a contributing factor, but there is also this.

Also, I hope you realize your “explanation” of shading isn’t the most accessible ever for aspiring artists.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Dugi wrote:I think that the problem that caused the instant reject is its absence of shading.

How to do the shading:
For each pixel, compute the dot product of the direction of incident light and normal of the object at that point. If the two vectors are normalised, you'll get a value between 0 and 1. Darken it according to this value. 0 is black, 1 is the original colour, others are something in between. The dot product is easy to compute, if the two vectors are normalised it's simply the cosine of the angle between them.
If you want to make some parts shiny, find the pixels where the normal vector of the object, the vector of incident light and the normal of viewing plane are roughly coplanar and the angle between the normal of the object and the normal of the viewing plane and the angle between the vector of incident light and the normal of the object are similar. Tint them brightly.
Dugi are you writing a render engine these days :lol:

To the OP, it's easy enough to add your own sprites to your particular Wesnoth install in place of the current graphics, I customize my game all the time.
Cuspman

Post by Cuspman »

new version Image :eng:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

shadowm wrote:That’s a contributing factor, but there is also this.
It's not s sticky thread, it's an announcement. I haven't found it because of that and I suppose Cupsman hasn't neither. In my humble opinion, thespaceinvader's reply was too laconic.
shadowm wrote:Also, I hope you realize your “explanation” of shading isn’t the most accessible ever for aspiring artists.
It was a joke. But it's exactly what I do when I can't guess how the shading should be done.
Crow_T wrote:Dugi are you writing a render engine these days :lol:
No, that's just basic solid geometry :geek: . And render engines usually don't deal with this, it's the stuff that OpenGL and DirectX do (besides other things).

@Cupsman
Nice progress. I think that it might end up better for you if you hadn't posted your early work in progress.
Cuspman

Post by Cuspman »

I create new crossbowman Image
Cuspman

Post by Cuspman »

And Slurbow Image
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

The Overall looking of the units are good (Although it won't be used for mainline maybe UMC-makers can use it.) I think the only thing, which makes your units looking different than others is that you use to less shadowing and only few clear outlines. Choose one colour and make it darker/lighter to make the shadowing more visible.
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Hello Psyduck.

A lot of people will tell you about shading and detail they'd like to see on your sprites.
I've seen a huge difference in the level of shading and detail on sprites from earlier versions of Wesnoth and the later versions and I've seen a huge difference in the level of shading and detail we see in sprites done by people a few years back compared to now.
For fun I think I'm going to open another "post your old sprites" sometime and you'll see some of the art director types posting things nowhere near the level of sprites being produced these days.

My comments on your sprites actually have nothing to do with the level of shading and detail - in a short while you'll be vastly better if you practice - I'm looking at the overall 'feel' of your Northerners.

When somebody posts soemthing like a swordsman, people look at it and say "that would never work, look at it, the sword-blade is longer than he is tall! how's he supposed to even lift that, let alone fight?" and "your spiky armor looks great, but I don't see how he can move in it", etc
Orcs and Demons are exceptions to this, they are not human and human practicalities are not considered when you draw their sprites (within reason of course). Nobody questions an Orc with a giant barbed sword and spiky armor. Your notherners would (if shaded differently and with detail added) not look soooo very different from the mainline units which I personally find a slightly disappointing.

What I would like to see personally:
don't make them stand up so straight, let them slump forward
add needless spikes and excessive melee weapons (many of which look impractical or decorative)
make them look altogether "meaner", birstly and brutal with unrealistic muscles and scary facial expressions.
give them heavy shoulders, small heads and bent backs with short legs
make the armor look like it was made out of bits stolen from dead warriors and more as a way of showing how many the Orc killed than in order to protect the Orc.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.