Dabbling in sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eagle_11

Re: Dabbling in sprites

Post by Eagle_11 »

No offense, but the originals look better. They are more defined, so to speak.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I think the pose of the new one is an improvement, but the shading is better on the old one.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Three regimenteer sprites. The first is the inspiration (era of four moons), the second is my reimagination from last year (not an edit, a new sprite), the third is an attempt to dramatically reduce colour count and general cleanup (inspired by Vyncyn today). I am very eager for technical comments, but not general opinions w/o ideas for improvement. Thanks.

Axe handle above body worked better in my sprite from last year, I think, it just relies too much on heavy outline now that the browns are the same. I also like the original metal better, but it is interesting that a clothing palette (from the trousers) works at all for an axe head. The cleanup definitely helped.
Spoiler:
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

You can try using either darker or brighter shades of brown on the axe handle, but I think the contrast will alwys be higher in the old one.
Problem with the axe head is partly because the the new one is darker. If you want to use (nearly) the same palette for axe and clothing you'll propably have to add one or two shades, so the colours on the new axe head have (roughly) the same brightness as the old one. I haven't tested myself, so I might be wrong.

If you want a remark about proportions: I'd shift the left shoulder (as seen from our side) one pixel to the left.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Thanks. Yes, he looks healthier with another pixel of shoulder. The new axe head was just an experiment and I was surprised that it works even as good as it does.

Something else though:
Spoiler:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Looks pretty good. Definitely recognizeable, but maybe add more stripes on fornt legs and head (though stripes on head could make the eye hard too read). The tail is usually darker.

If you think the stance is somhow wrong (looks ok to me), you can compare it with a horse.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I avoided more lines, because I end up limited to straight lines then with very little chance to vary. This is somewhat of a problem on the head, I wanted to show the ears, which are quite prominent on a zebra, but drawing more pattern on the head messes this up. Worked a bit on the right front leg, the tail (added a new colour) and the back and some odd pixels here and there. I started to draw a zebra because the Sea States as well (Era of Four Moon faction with Zebra riders), but animating zebra is out of my league. I make mainline compliant horse animations before I can do so. I am out of ideas for now, if someone can improve the head (more lines and better readable ears) I would be interested.

Zebra and regimenteer
Spoiler:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Got carried away, so I ended up editing more than the head. You can use or discard any changes.
Spoiler:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I like the idea of adding a zebra :D and with the darker lines vyncyn has added it looks very good!