Shading help

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Gouge

Shading help

Post by Gouge »

I've been trying to shade this sprite I made of Zero but I'm having issues with shading. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Also for the art style of wesnoth do I need a slightly more overhead view with a more forward facing?
Attachments
Zero.png
Zero.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Shading help

Post by beetlenaut »

The facing is fine, but slightly more overhead would be closer to the style. The main problem I see is that this unit huge; bigger than a great troll even. If it's meant to be a human, you should scale it to the same size as the other humans unless you won't be using mainline units in your content. (I can't help you with the shading. Sorry.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Gouge

Post by Gouge »

yeah, it did turn out pretty big. I made another one in a more active pose but it took up the entire box so I'm thinking I'll just have to redo them much smaller. Going to lose alot of details though.
Gouge

Post by Gouge »

Bam. Small enough to fit in. Completely devoid of any details though. Also I didn't layer it so when I go to edit it there's going to be more work to break it up into parts. How's the model though? I don't like the eyes.
Attachments
ZeroBase.png
ZeroBase.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

For a first draft it is good althought the helmet is a bit to big (this could solve the problem with the eyes). You need much work to make out of this a real good looking unit. But keep up working. :D
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
taptap

Post by taptap »

The main body is very small even for a Wesnoth unit (both width and height), both body and head appear full frontal while the stance implies otherwise. The sword seems very much oversize, with different colours it could be an umbrella, which would be cool, but is likely not intended.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.